Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Someone messed with my Carb settings  (Read 3522 times)

thelawnmowerman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
Someone messed with my Carb settings
« on: June 05, 2015, 02:47:10 PM »

As posted elsewhere, i've had this S&S 124 twincam motor fitted with a carb conversion, went with a 48mm Mikuni hsr
my Indy set it all up for me and I've been running it in ... but its been running really rich and sooting the plugs up something rotten.
Indy assured me it was sweet, but hes quite a distance away, so told me to run it in and bring it back for an oil change and he'd take a look. So I've been researching all the things it could be ... restrictive air filter, fuel pump nozzle size, jets etc.
Took it today and turns out some one had been messing with my carb!! . the mixture screw had been wound all the way in !!.
set it right for me and rode home, massive difference!! and did a plug chop when home... absolutely perfect ...
What kind of jealous low life scrote does that?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Someone messed with my Carb settings
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 04:45:06 PM »

Messing with a carb's mixture adjustment on a bike that no one would ever expect to have a carburetor to begin with.... ?

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 09:37:32 PM »

Don't know what a plug chop or scrote is, but glad you got it fixed. Usually the vibrate out, strange.

thelawnmowerman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 04:08:03 AM »

A plug chop , is an old term harking back to the days before dyno's etc where you would run it for a distance down the road for few miles , then pull over and take the plug out to check the colour of the plug, which would give you some clue as to the mixture..
A scrote is a somewhat derogatory term .. relating to someones nether regions.. ha

;D Sort of expected to get a reply about not having a carb ! ... some of you guys just dont get it....
I bet suicide clutch and Jockey would scare the life out of you .... Is all about Old School .. A properly setup carb is a joy .

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 09:33:46 AM »

On my 127 it came with the 45mm HSR which ran ok I tuned it using the RB Racing O2 sensors and guage, it really takes the guess work out of it. I found a brand new in the box SE 51mm CV carb on Ebay so thought I would give it a try what a huge difference in idle quality just off idle steady speed and WOT I am sure the 51mm and the 48 would be very close in WOT but the CV carb is so much smoother the motor just seems happy it also handles altitude changes better. Just my 2 cents if you ever get a chance to try one it's worth the effort.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 09:39:07 AM »

A plug chop , is an old term harking back to the days before dyno's etc where you would run it for a distance down the road for few miles , then pull over and take the plug out to check the colour of the plug, which would give you some clue as to the mixture..
A scrote is a somewhat derogatory term .. relating to someones nether regions.. ha

;D Sort of expected to get a reply about not having a carb ! ... some of you guys just dont get it....
I bet suicide clutch and Jockey would scare the life out of you .... Is all about Old School .. A properly setup carb is a joy .

The "reply" wasn't in any way commenting on your running a carburetor.  Positively, negatively or otherwise.  I like carbs and have converted fuel injected bikes to carbs a few times.  Also rode a bike with a jockey shift for a couple of years a long time ago. 

The comment was on the likelihood that some "scrote" or any other person is all that likely to have messed with your mixture setting; especially on a bike they'd never even expect to have a carburetor.  In other words I wasn't in any way denigrating your use of a carburetor I was doubting your accusation that someone screwed with your carburetor.  Of course it's always easier to blame someone else than it is to consider you just left something a little messed up and then simply be glad you got it right and ride on.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 09:51:54 AM »

Rob's Dyno Service, in Gardner, Mass, just recently dyno checked a carbed 124"...............popped 152 ft/lbs sae.
Although it had never been tuned, the bored S&S G, w/Thunderjet did NOT need any adjustments. :)

thelawnmowerman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 12:39:21 PM »

The "reply" wasn't in any way commenting on your running a carburetor.  Positively, negatively or otherwise.  I like carbs and have converted fuel injected bikes to carbs a few times.  Also rode a bike with a jockey shift for a couple of years a long time ago. 

The comment was on the likelihood that some "scrote" or any other person is all that likely to have messed with your mixture setting; especially on a bike they'd never even expect to have a carburetor.  In other words I wasn't in any way denigrating your use of a carburetor I was doubting your accusation that someone screwed with your carburetor.  Of course it's always easier to blame someone else than it is to consider you just left something a little messed up and then simply be glad you got it right and ride on.

My bad then ... mustve misread your post
I get what your saying about the likelihood ..But I saw the dyno sheets albeit he didnt go hard with it, and it was in good shape.
I know I never messed with it and no one else has access to my garage, so its the only explaination that I can think of.

thelawnmowerman

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 12:43:26 PM »

Rob's Dyno Service, in Gardner, Mass, just recently dyno checked a carbed 124"...............popped 152 ft/lbs sae.
Although it had never been tuned, the bored S&S G, w/Thunderjet did NOT need any adjustments. :)

Thats some serious numbers there .. its already been discussed in another thread about the differing ways of breaking in, but I'm
waiting till I've put some miles on it before I ask him to go for it ...
My engine is the low compression version, but I'm still expecting some good numbers, I've seen just shy of 130 hp quoted on here somewhere.
I do love the low tickover too.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 05:23:47 PM »

My bad then ... mustve misread your post
I get what your saying about the likelihood ..But I saw the dyno sheets albeit he didnt go hard with it, and it was in good shape.
I know I never messed with it and no one else has access to my garage, so its the only explaination that I can think of.

All good.  Once in a rare instance the things will walk. Its rare and you scratch your ass standing there thinking, "how the f%^k did that happen?"  Spring on the mixture screw broken?

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 08:48:05 PM »

Strange things do happen to adjustable needles, I've had them back out on a 2 stroke enough to end up locktiting the damned things with Blue.
A rider pulled off the highway here, I stopped, he claimed his bike suddenly ran very rough and spewed black smoke out the tailpipe. Running an S&S E carb. Nothing wrong visibly, so off came the float bowl. The intermediate jet was lying in the bottom!!! A quick refit, all was well.
You never know!!  Life is just box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get (hope I got that right)  Buffalo

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.