Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Continental Milestone Mileage Plus Tires  (Read 2890 times)

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 110th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2016 Road Glide Ultra 117 Kit
Continental Milestone Mileage Plus Tires
« on: May 26, 2015, 11:18:39 AM »

I'm looking for anyone that has tried these tires

Continental

https://www.conti-online.com/www/motorcycle_de_en/themes/motorcycletires/cruiser/contimilestone_en.html

I put on Michelin Commander 2 tires front and rear about 11 K ago, and the front is cupping bad, making a horrible growl and the back is starting to cup also. Front is down to -3/32nds and rear about 6/32 (still looks good) but cupping.

I'm really surprised at whats happening to these tires, from all the reviews I've read, most folks seem to get much better mileage so I'm trying to figure out is it the tire or maybe a fault with the bike.

2013 CVO Ultra currently about 22K. I ride 2 up 70% of the time, load up the bike for trips to Sturgis Etc, always check tire pressure, always..! 36/40 as recommended, check them in the garage before heading out. Always check rear shock pressure also and adjust for loading..

Front end has always felt a little skitterish to me, mention almost every time I take her in to the dealer, nope "can not duplicate customer complaint" everything checks out..Yah right!!!

Long and short of it is I now need new tires again, the Michelin's didn't go the distance and I'm looking at alternates; I've seen these Contis and they look and sound interesting but I can't find much feedback on them. So if anyone has any info it would be nice to hear it so I can add it to the pot and I'm sure there are others out there that might be interested too..

Oh and I'm gonna replace the Front wheel bearings and check the neck bearing play along with replacing the fork tubes with double cartridge ones...Just to cover all the bases......

Thanks

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Continental Milestone Mileage Plus Tires
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 11:40:53 AM »

You probably did this and it just didn't come through in your write-up, but the tires need to be aired up to/near max pressure (whatever it is for these) when you are 2up and loaded.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 11:51:58 AM »

I'm looking for anyone that has tried these tires

Continental

https://www.conti-online.com/www/motorcycle_de_en/themes/motorcycletires/cruiser/contimilestone_en.html

I put on Michelin Commander 2 tires front and rear about 11 K ago, and the front is cupping bad, making a horrible growl and the back is starting to cup also. Front is down to -3/32nds and rear about 6/32 (still looks good) but cupping.

I'm really surprised at whats happening to these tires, from all the reviews I've read, most folks seem to get much better mileage so I'm trying to figure out is it the tire or maybe a fault with the bike.

Thanks

Or was it a bad balancing job?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 02:51:44 PM »

FYI:
I'm running the Elites front and rear on my '10 and my '14 and pretty happy with them.
I ride 2-up most of the time and pull a trailer in the summer trips.
My '14 has a new rear last week, 20171 miles on that tire.
41 lbs front and rear seems to work well for me.
JME
 :nixweiss:
HOGMIKE

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 12:34:04 PM »

Yup check the pressures all the time. Still hoping to hear if anyone has had any experience with the Continental tires. I'm familiar with the Dunlops and of course the Michelins.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 10:23:49 PM »

Low tire pressure can cause cupping. Even a few pounds low can start it. Once started, it's toast, correcting the pressure won't help. It's too late.

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 12:24:47 PM »

Min 40 lb front, 45lb rear two up. If 70 % of your riding is 2up, I'd keep them pressured up there and check once a week. Check cold tires!! Even 1-2 lbs low will start the cupping, and as stated once started there's no cure. Read the tire mfg's specs on load ratings and pressure, some like much higher pressure than others brands. twinotter

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 05:31:18 PM »

Finally had to make a decision. I didn't go with the Conti's this go around, I just couldn't get enough information on them. With all the searching and contacting Continental it was still slim pickens on tech info and positive or negative reviews. So I've decided to try the Pirelli Night Dragons, I'm aware that the mileage is much less that the Michelins, Dunlaps or the Conti's (maybe) but in reading the reviews they sounded very good in the rain and sticky in the twisties. I figure if I have some other issue causing premature cupping I'll find out sooner with these and still get good road holding ability and a top rated tire until that happens or I figure it out. Ya don't know till you try.
Now if I can get the tire pressures correct for these tires I'll be all set for 7-8 K I hope.

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.