Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gear indicator light  (Read 1854 times)

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC Anniversary
Gear indicator light
« on: June 16, 2015, 09:14:22 PM »

I've read that the gear indicator light is determined by engine speed and vehicle speed and it goes out when the clutch lever is pulled in. How does the computer or BCM know the clutch is pulled in to turn the light off?

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
Re: Gear indicator light
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 09:51:25 PM »

Your ECM knows everything
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 09:56:30 PM »

I've read that the gear indicator light is determined by engine speed and vehicle speed and it goes out when the clutch lever is pulled in. How does the computer or BCM know the clutch is pulled in to turn the light off?

There is an electrical switch that's activated by the clutch lever. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 09:55:54 AM »

Figured their had to be a switch somewhere. I was looking for some thing more obvious.

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 06:35:33 PM »

Was looking for a way to keep the gear indicator light on when the clutch is pulled in.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 07:19:39 PM »

Was looking for a way to keep the gear indicator light on when the clutch is pulled in.

:cherry:
Yup,  if you can find a way,  let us all know.  Sometimes the gear shift "hangs up" and when coming to a stop,  you really cannot tell if you have it in first or maybe (second/third).  Having that indicator working with the clutch pulled would be helpful in that situation.

I've had multiple occassions with my old CVO Ultra and prior Road Kings where that "hang up" occurs and you cannot get anywhere (UP OR DOWN) with the damn shifter.........I've had to pull away slipping the clutch more than once or twice for that reason..........as I could not get down into first gear while stopped as I was really in second gear or other. :nixweiss:

Now,  given the problem I just described,  the indicator would NOT fix that ..............but it would tell you for sure to rev it up and slip the damn clutch to get going.............and once so,  you can then get the thing to shift where you want it. :(

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 07:52:23 PM »

May as well save your time and energy, it's not possible with the system Harley uses.  To do what you want would require a real switch to indicate the physical position of the shifting mechanism, versus the simple mathematical algorithm system Harley uses.  As soon as you disengage the clutch while riding along at speed X, the rpm's will stray from the corresponding rpm Y the system needs to see to give you the correct gear position.  So even if you eliminated the clutch switch signal, it still wouldn't work or you would get erroneous indications as the rpm versus speed calculation varies.  That's why it just turns the display off when you disengage the clutch.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 25 queries.