Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil Temp  (Read 1313 times)

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
Oil Temp
« on: October 11, 2004, 11:32:57 AM »

I have one of those LED tempature dipsticks and after running the bike hard in the warmer weather I have seen temps of 230 degrees, even now in cooler weather been seeing 215 degrees. Looking for anybody elses experience here, I am new to using the synth oil and know that my dyno using fossil oil ran closer to 200 degrees hot around 180 degrees cool.
So really my question is this the norm?  [smiley=bulb2.gif] [smiley=bulb.gif]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 02:59:11 PM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

mfgreen

Re: Oil Temp
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 11:48:35 AM »

I have one of those LED tempature dipsticks and after running the bike hard in the warmer weather I have seen temps of 230 degrees, even now in cooler weather been seeing 215 degrees. Looking for anybody elses experience here, I am new to using the sync oil and know that my dyno using fossil oil ran closer to 200 degrees hot around 180 degrees cool.
So really my question is this the norm?  [smiley=bulb2.gif] [smiley=bulb.gif]

Temps seem about right, ofender, do you happen to know what changes you are getting with your oil pressure?  The difference between the fossil oil and the synthetic?  Do you see a direct correlation in pressure rise and drop with temperature variation?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 12:55:05 PM »

Ofender, those temps (215-230) are about what my bike runs and if you look in your owner's manual it will tell you that's the normal operating temp.  My '02 Electra Glide Classic ran about the same temps as my SEEG, though the SEEG does run 5-10 degrees cooler in the heat of summer (presumably due to the oil cooler doing its job), so anything 200 degrees or below sounds abnormally low to me.  What setup were you seeing those numbers on?

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 01:19:39 PM »

The median number (most common) that I see on my bike is 221 degrees. Stupis, but I can't believe that gauge is that accurate. [smiley=nervous.gif]

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 03:08:53 PM »

Ofender, those temps (215-230) are about what my bike runs and if you look in your owner's manual it will tell you that's the normal operating temp.  My '02 Electra Glide Classic ran about the same temps as my SEEG, though the SEEG does run 5-10 degrees cooler in the heat of summer (presumably due to the oil cooler doing its job), so anything 200 degrees or below sounds abnormally low to me.  What setup were you seeing those numbers on?

The setup on my Dyna was not stock, the heads had some work done to them including larger exhaust valves, (probably) causing a better release of the heat. Part of my concern has been that when the lowers are on the bike you really feel the heat (1st scooter I have owned with lowers) and secondly I switched to Mobil-1 15-50w (red cap) upon recommendation from some friends who are using it in their EVO motors. [smiley=dizzy2.gif]

PCC also makes a good point about the accuracy of the gauge [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

I don't know what you guys think but this forum is worth it's weight in gold to be able to get info from around the globe in no time at all, so naitram I bow my head to you in thanks for maintaining such great forum!!!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 03:14:28 PM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

Kingsalmon

• Senior CVO Member
  • HD gets too much of my money
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 06:27:12 PM »

When I had my 01 Ultra, I was a little pissed it didn't come with an oil cooler.
The Cream of the Touring Model's and they immediately recommended I purchase a $400 oil cooler.
Red Line bike runs 20 degrees cooler.

I did some investigating and made some phone calls to a few mechanics and they all confirmed that Red Line does run cooler.
So I ran Red Line in the Ultra instead of getting an oil cooler.

I'm still running the HD Syn in the SEEG but think Red Line would let it run a little cooler. Does anyone use Red line in their SEEG ? Any one that has a temp gauge run Red Line? Let us know what temp it runs at.

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 25 queries.