Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bike TPMS  (Read 4382 times)

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
Bike TPMS
« on: June 19, 2015, 06:29:25 PM »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Bike TPMS
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 07:14:24 PM »

If it actually works as well as they claim, and you're the type who always carries a smart phone, it looks like a way to save about $90 over the other systems I've seen that have their own bike mounted display.  Not my cup of tea, but for gadget fans and at only about $100, at least if it didn't work you wouldn't be out much.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 12:48:28 AM »

If you do decide to go forward, post up how it works. I agree with jerry, if it actually works like they claim it is interesting
Alan

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 02:30:18 PM »

Not really the same thing but, GM offers Cell phone app thru the free 5 yr On-Star deal that tells you air-pressure for each tire, as well as other info. We use it and it is exactly one pound lower than my digital gauge on both of our cars. I can live with it. But I still check the tires regularly with the gauge, but it has never been off by more than the one pound, so it this deal works as well it would be OK. I use a system I bought several years ago on my bike from a vendor in Daytona who was selling GW stuff. I can not remember the brand, screw on valve caps which have 2032 batteries and a little fob that gives readings. It also is dependable and has never faultered in the 5+ years I have had it. I check it out of habit everytime we stop as I am storing my gloves. Seems OK to me.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 10:13:54 PM »

Just ordered from Amazon. $91. After laying on my back this morning to check the rear tire pressure which is a complete PIA, I am hoping this will be the answer. I intend to only use it on the rear wheel since the front is easy to use and it looks terrible on the stem. I will post up after I receive and try it out. It would be nice if it works as advertised.
Alan

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 09:07:57 PM »

I had a TPMS by Hawkhead (I think). It worked some of the time but not very well. After listening to Jerry talk about stuff on here, he is correct. Nothing beats checking your tires with a reliable air gauge. It is the one way you know they are good to go. I figured I would not put my life in the hands of a digital read out.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 12:22:48 AM »

I had a TPMS by Hawkhead (I think). It worked some of the time but not very well. After listening to Jerry talk about stuff on here, he is correct. Nothing beats checking your tires with a reliable air gauge. It is the one way you know they are good to go. I figured I would not put my life in the hands of a digital read out.
I have the Hawkhead also which is why I was laying on my back yesterday, hardly ever works. I agree checking the pressure yourself is the bast answer but such a PIA, I don't do it as much as I should. Hopefully this will work, cautiously optimistic.
Alan

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 08:49:05 AM »

I still think using a real certified accurate gauge is a good idea, but as the technology gets better, which it seems to be doing now, I wouldn't be averse to adding an electronic system as well.  Getting to that rear tire on a bagger is a PITA as many have noted, and if adding a good TPMS means people will check their tire pressures regularly versus blowing it off, then I'm all for it.  I just hope they will also haul out the real certified gauge on a schedule of some sort to verify the electronic system is still working and still accurate.  Trust but verify is a philosophy that applies to more things than just geopolitical issues.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GWN

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »

^^^ As usual Jerry nailed it. Because of the inconvenience checking tire pressures on our bikes gets neglected. But a convenient electronic device needs to be checked/confirmed occasionally. I see that the the device linked to by the OP has an optional valve stem with a (more) convenient side access valve stem to allow checking/adjusting pressures by  convention means. Here's hoping we can get some reviews of this before too long.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 10:33:37 PM »

^^^ As usual Jerry nailed it. Because of the inconvenience checking tire pressures on our bikes gets neglected. But a convenient electronic device needs to be checked/confirmed occasionally. I see that the the device linked to by the OP has an optional valve stem with a (more) convenient side access valve stem to allow checking/adjusting pressures by  convention means. Here's hoping we can get some reviews of this before too long.
Mine will be in by this weekend and I will post up afterwards how it worked. I will also check the stated pressure compared to my certified digital gauge before and after my ride. Hopefully it will be the last time I lay on my back for a while though I do agree I will need to continue to check for accuracy going forward assuming it works this weekend and I dont just send it back.
Alan

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 08:58:11 AM »

I'd be cautious about using balancing fluids or beads with one of these stem mounted TPM systems.  Rather than drone on about it, I'll just leave that statement hanging out there for people to think about.

Jerry ;)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 12:53:31 AM »

Got the Fobo Bike today and installed fairly easy. Checked the pressure and it was .5 off (lower) the digital certified gauge. removed some air and checked again, added air back and again off the same so looks good so far. Unit very light, lighter than the Hawkhead so should be fine as i have been running with the Hawkhead for a while. Hopefully will now work well after real world riding.
Alan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 12:21:03 AM »

Well it worked perfect. It was kind of like a new toy watching the temp and pressure of the rear tire going up and down. Was even tempted to install the front but its just too ugly. I checked the pressure a couple of times and it stayed consistently 1/2 lb low. I know its a "gadget" but I like it..
Alan

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.