Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eureka Springs and Fayetteville AR  (Read 4333 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
Eureka Springs and Fayetteville AR
« on: August 02, 2015, 05:21:41 PM »

We just got back from a nice weekend along Hwy 62 in northwest Arkansas.  Stayed 2 nights at the Best Western in Eureka Springs (free buffet breakfast), and visited Pig Trail Harley in Rogers (Fayetteville), AR.  As many of you know, the Ozarks and Boston Mountains of northwest Arkansas offer some of the finest motorcycle roads in the midwest.
The picture below is of the Beaver Suspension Bridge (called the "Little Golden Gate of Arkansas") on Hwy 187 about 15 minutes north of Eureka Springs off Hwy 23 north.  The bridge is 554' long but only 11' wide, so it's single-lane traffic only.  The White River is up a lot, as normally there's a lot more clearance under the bridge, but it's open for traffic, and a trip to cross.
We wanted to run the "Pig Trail" (Hwy 23 north of Ozark, AR) but the most challenging part of it was closed due to a landslide from the early summer rains, which was really a disappointment.
If you've never been to northwest Arkansas, what are you waiting for?  It's beautiful country, and there were bikes everywhere this weekend!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
Re: Eureka Springs and Fayetteville AR
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 06:21:10 PM »

Yes a weekend with RGlideKid and his wife riding was awesome....west 62 near pigtrail HD has several switchbacks that are 1st and 2nd gear swithbacks...beautiful country and glad to ride with CVO members, especially Arkansas Ozark deep imbedded  Harley owners :pepper:

For those of you who haven't rode this try to ride when your fresh first thing in the day.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 07:30:28 PM »

Yes a weekend with RGlideKid and his wife riding was awesome....west 62 near pigtrail HD has several switchbacks that are 1st and 2nd gear swithbacks...beautiful country and glad to ride with CVO members, especially Arkansas Ozark deep imbedded  Harley owners :pepper:

For those of you who haven't rode this try to ride when your fresh first thing in the day.

Bob's right.  You almost can't believe you're in Arkansas with some of the scenery and roads we saw this weekend.  Me and the wifey had a great time with Bob and Janet and will do it again soon, I'm sure!
Harry
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 09:20:27 PM »

We recently spent a 5 day weekend in Eureka Springs and had a blast in and around town. Riding was relaxing and fun. Passion play was great. Downtown "Old Town" was fun to walk and window shop as well as people watch while not riding. Cliff House restaurant has good food and a view that you must see.

We'll be back next year leading our HOG group there. I highly recommend the area.  :2vrolijk_21:
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 09:39:22 PM »

We recently spent a 5 day weekend in Eureka Springs and had a blast in and around town. Riding was relaxing and fun. Passion play was great. Downtown "Old Town" was fun to walk and window shop as well as people watch while not riding. Cliff House restaurant has good food and a view that you must see.

We'll be back next year leading our HOG group there. I highly recommend the area.  :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks for weighing in, Eric.  You're right on the mark with your statement.

As an added note, we were there 5, 6, and 8 years ago on three separate visits when we still lived in south Arkansas.  I was very pleased to see a more relaxed town this visit.  I stayed away because of what I perceived as a very "on the offensive" and militant police force, who I was told used very disgraceful tactics to nab "loud" bikers.  I also have first hand experience of that from a group of aerospace professionals (and ex-law enforcement personnel) who rode there with me years ago.  It was the kind of behavior that gives police a very bad name, and it was inexcusable.  I know the ex-cops that were with us that weekend were appalled by what they saw.

As far as I can remember from this past weekend, we didn't see one city police car or cops on bicycles the whole time we were there, and we only saw 2 sheriff's cars, one per day, and that was on the main highway thru town.  Needless to say, this was a refreshing change of pace.

I would suggest to anyone thinking about staying there to make reservations well in advance, and try to stay during the week.  We were told the city does 60% of their business on Fridays and Saturdays, and very few hotels offer discounted rates on weekends, even national chains.  I suspect that many even boost their room rates on those nights.  We were told our room would have cost over $30 less on a weekday, and we paid $109 a night before taxes with no fridge or microwave (but we did get a free buffet breakfast).  It's also less crowded during the week by far, so it's just more fun.
Another reason for booking in advance is because there are so many events in that city - all the time, and especially on weekends, when it fills up.

And furthermore, the rides in that corner of the state are awesome, and the Harley dealer in Rogers is just fun to spend a couple of hours window shopping in.

Again, if anyone out there wants more info, please feel free to PM me.
Harry

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 10:11:38 PM »

I did learn that the owner of Pig Trail Harley bought the shopping center where the new outpost store is located and renamed it to Eureka Springs HD. It will be interesting to see what the owner does with that shopping center.

Oh and Grandma's cornbread and beans is a great place to get a simple southern meal on the cheap.  :2vrolijk_21:   I recommend the pinto's and cornbread; comfort food never goes out of style.  :)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 10:31:45 PM »

I did learn that the owner of Pig Trail Harley bought the shopping center where the new outpost store is located and renamed it to Eureka Springs HD. It will be interesting to see what the owner does with that shopping center.

Funny you should bring that up!  That very store was open at 11:15am this morning (Sunday) as we were leaving town, so we stopped in for a visit.  It is spacious and very nice.  If the owner of PT Harley owns that shopping center, then he/she is indeed making a lot of money from that dealership.  And a little bit more as of today as Patty and I parted with about $80 this morning!   :o
It's your typical non-bike store, some clothes and accessories, mostly t-shirts.  Maybe they'll juice it up in the future, as they have some room to do that with.
Harry

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 10:45:44 PM »

Yep, spent some coin there as well. I'm a poker chip gathering fool these days.  :)

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 12:31:08 PM »

Since the Pig Trail is closed, try riding 21 north and south, 7 north and south, or 16 east and west.

Further east, try riding 5 and 9 and 13.   Mountain Home, White River, .....lots of roads in North Central AR as well as NWA.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 08:33:16 PM »

Living close to that area we hit Eureka several times a year and it is always relaxing. Would definitely recommend Hwy 7 also with Pig Trail closed. Also if you are into the rally events, Bikes Blues and BBQ has became a large event.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Streetglide1

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2012 Streetglide
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 09:12:08 PM »

Hey, RGLIDEKID, found out today the reason part of the pigtrail is closed is because the bank collapsed from all the rain...they say it will be closed for a long time.

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 26 queries.