Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vibration  (Read 1850 times)

Wd

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

Vibration
« on: July 20, 2015, 03:08:39 PM »

Hi Everyone, I have a 2015 CVO Limited with only 400miles on it. I have a slight vibration and noise when I decelerate, sometimes I notice it in a curve? Its not much but noticeable.  Not sure if its in the front end of the bike or the engine? Anyone have any idea?

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
Re: Vibration
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 09:36:41 PM »

What type of noise are you hearing?

Have you mentioned the issue to your dealer? If so did they perform the fall away(old name) or swing test(new name) to see if it falls within spec?? -- note, even if it falls within spec the neck may need to be torqued to properly seat the bearings.

If I'm not mistaken, HD changed the neck on the '14/'15 touring models and removed the zerk(grease) fitting from the neck area?? You can easily check your bike and see if I'm wrong about that. If I am wrong (as has been known to happen on occasion) you can then proceed to grease your neck bearings - don't be surprised at how much grease the neck will take to fill up.

A bad front motor mount can also cause some weird symptoms, but with only 400 miles this may not be a factor. Then don't forget the simple things like a tire out of balance causing the vibration part of the issue.

Another thing to keep in mind is if your closing the throttle to abruptly (which is easy to do if your not used to the Throttle By Wire) while leaned over in a curve it will have a dramatic effect on the way the bike handles and one of the things that you'll experience is a "wiggle" that can turn into something worse depending on the your speed and the radius of the corner.

"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 08:23:32 AM »

Could be one or both of your tires.  Does the noise/slight vibration get louder as you lean in to a curve or turn?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Wd

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »

Thanks Phato1 & JCZ, I haven't talked to the dealer yet, trying to get educated first. It sure could be a bearing of some sort. What about lack of oil in the forks? I don't think its a tire just do to the fact it's not all the time. Also if the road surface is rough its worse. My normal riding I usually decelerate a little coming into a curve and increase as needed through the turn. It might be two different issues one with the deceleration and one with the cornering? Thanks for the input....

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 12:10:33 PM »

If it is worse at idle I would suspect front motor mount
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

mark

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 09:10:01 PM »

Thanks Phato1 & JCZ, I haven't talked to the dealer yet, trying to get educated first. It sure could be a bearing of some sort. What about lack of oil in the forks? I don't think its a tire just do to the fact it's not all the time. Also if the road surface is rough its worse. My normal riding I usually decelerate a little coming into a curve and increase as needed through the turn. It might be two different issues one with the deceleration and one with the cornering? Thanks for the input....

WD: Front tires that are cupped can cause vibration in a curve.  A cupped rear tire will sing or roar as you go in a curve.  However, it would highly unusual for tires with only 400 miles to be cupped.  Sound simple, but check your tire pressure too.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.