Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: New trailer ready to go!  (Read 5617 times)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: New trailer ready to go!
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 11:40:14 PM »

One more attempt, The bikerbars are not a nice set-up, they are another attempt to make something easier than it needs to be. Trailer floors are common cheap plywood that is held to sheetmetal crossmembers by wood screws. Even thru bolting something thru the plywood is just not going to hold 900# of motorcycle. And the photo above is very deceiving, I am  not sure what it proves, no secondary forces (a collision or sudden impact) are acting on this bike setting on a bike lift held by a clamp,,, what does this show.
I really don't have a dog in this hunt, I have a great set-up in my trailer that I feel confident will hold my bike when up-side down if need be, but I do worry that less mechanically inclined folks will loose something they care a lot about due to someone selling them something that was never tested or very well thought out. IMHO, sorry not meant to offend anyone.

Lucky Doug

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 04:33:26 PM »

Nice set up.

When I Oogled bikerbars all I got were places to ride to and get beers. Anybody got the web addy?

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 11:37:06 PM »

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

ultrarider123

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 07:36:21 AM »

These have been around a while.  I've watched the live demonstration at Sturgis and other rally's and like the product.  If I ever have to trailer a bike, this would be a good option to consider.  However, this little blurb off their website has me worried.  The bold and italicized additions are by me to emphasize the point I'm making but this is directly from their site....

"FAQ:  Do I still need straps or tie downs on the motorcycle while hauling it locked in this system?

Answer:  When the Biker Bar is used properly straps are not needed. The only EXCEPTION would be if the motorcycle is parked sideways in the trailer, which we strongly discourage. The Biker Bar is designed to have the motorcycle facing forward. That way, starting and stopping forces are absorbed by the motorcycle's suspension. If the motorcycle is positioned sideways, the Biker Bar could fail under the forces generated from a hard stop or start."

If that is true, what would a collision from the side of the trailer cause?  If side forces are anticipated (and they would be hauling a trailer), straps may be required from what I read.  You wouldn't necessarily have to cinch them down, just for additional support.  Again, I've not used the biker bar while others here on the site have and I don't know if they utilize any straps in addition to the biker bar.  But reading the FAQ, I would think B&W is "suggesting" straps without actually coming out and saying it..... :nixweiss:

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 09:21:30 AM »

I've known people to use these trailer across country many times with no issues.. I'll be towing mine from Michigan to Georgia, and then to Arizona and back this winter....  No straps.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 09:59:29 AM »

From their Q&A on the site:

How do I know if my trailer floor is strong enough?

Normally, any ¾” plywood floor is strong enough. If after installation is complete and your motorcycle is loaded in the unit, you pull on the side of the cycle and it moves side to side, your floor is flexing and too weak. You must re-enforce the floor. All pick up floors need to be re-enforced before installation as the metal is too thin for the stress in such a small area.

Just enough information to lay any problems back on the purchaser.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

J Heinlein

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »

I have been using a trailer for years. Hauling all of my kids dirt bikes up and down the east coast to race after race and then the change over to the street bikes once they got there license. The  best thing with the Biker Bars by far (besides no straps) is the rear ends of the Bikes stay put. Hauling around 3 and 4 loaded dressers in a trailer  as you guys know can get tight real quick.  Like everyone at  first, I was stopping it seemed like every 20 miles to check if they moved around.  I can say after two years with 4 of these things I am still in pressed every time I open the rear door.  Great product !!  Only thing I did do different on the install side of things was putting large metal plates on the bottom side of the flooring. Better safe then sorry. 

Jeff G

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NV

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 04:51:44 PM »

Also I think some common sense goes along way here as well, you wouldn't just use straps bolted to a eye bolt  bolted only thru a flimsy piece of plywood or a truck bed floor without some sort of thicker bracket between the two.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 25 queries.