Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has this happened to you?  (Read 1653 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Has this happened to you?
« on: October 13, 2015, 09:00:19 PM »

07 Ultra. Today I run up the shop to get a few odds & sods. When I fired her up it run as normal around 1300rpm and slowly came down to 9/950rpm. I went about 3mi to the shop and shut it down a 1/2hr later I came out straight it up (it fired strait a way) the idol was all over the place (Hunting) also popping back though the intake. I gave it some throttle only a little and it raced high, now I didn't shut it down thinking it wouldn't start again. I rode off with it still popping bake though the intake and hunting I got about 200yards and it cleared up. I got home and restarted it up it was fine normal.
Is this something that can happen now and then and not to be concerned about? or could it be a tel-tel sign of a pending fault that may occur?
Have you had it happen?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 07:04:51 AM by longlast »

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Has this happened to you?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 07:31:15 AM »

I have had that happen if I start the bike and before the idle goes down I take off.
Bill

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 03:21:11 PM »

I have had that happen if I start the bike and before the idle goes down I take off.

I did move off 50ft then stopped and left it running while I geared up. But it's something not uncommon I do it every time I've gone out. I went out today I did the same thing and didn't have any problem she run and started up 5/6/ times when I stopped off  :nixweiss:

Perhaps it was just a electronic glitch :confused5: Thanks on the feed back. I know now it's something that dose happen :2vrolijk_21:   

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 03:48:20 PM »

I was having similar problems on my '07 early last year - intermittent erratic idle; sometimes stubbornly high; sometimes drop down so low the motor would die.  Don't recall any popping however.  In the shop several times trying to diagnose and spent several $$$ to no avail.  Finally another shop started at basics (where you should always start in any case, lol) and found a small intake leak.  They replaced the intake gasket and thankfully the problem has not recurred.  Note that this problem arose immediately after I paid the dealer to change the inner cam bearings and lifters on the bike so I think this was the tech's fault.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 10:31:12 AM »

I was having similar problems on my '07 early last year - intermittent erratic idle; sometimes stubbornly high; sometimes drop down so low the motor would die.  Don't recall any popping however.  In the shop several times trying to diagnose and spent several $$$ to no avail.  Finally another shop started at basics (where you should always start in any case, lol) and found a small intake leak.  They replaced the intake gasket and thankfully the problem has not recurred.  Note that this problem arose immediately after I paid the dealer to change the inner cam bearings and lifters on the bike so I think this was the tech's fault.

Thanks ultrafxr,  the info. is helpful I had a intake leek once before one of the mounting bolts worked loose I replaced the gasket and also put a light film of heat resistant silicone on each side of the gasket so I hadn't given it a thought.  :2vrolijk_21: I check it by giving it a small concentrated spray of ether on the flange that will tell me if there is a leek if the rpm picks up. The fault hasn't reoccurred hopefully it was a one of.
 Going on a 600mi round trip on Saturday. I hope the old girl behaves her self    :nervous:   

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 25 queries.