Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Family and Friends  (Read 2697 times)

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
Family and Friends
« on: March 02, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I write this post with a heavy heart. Just recently I received information my uncle was in a motorcycle cycle accident and fortunately, on his way to recover.

My mother called me and informed  me a friend of the family Ron was in accident as well. Yesterday, I found out he was taken off life support and passed away shortly afterwards. He was 30yrs old when he passed away.

Sometimes, I disagree with the rules and regulations the Army imposes, however, my lay downs and wearing the proper gear have saved my butt a couple of times.

My uncle broke his arm and fractured his skull wearing the famous (skid lids), wonderful name because that is exactly what had happened.

I thought about buying and sporting a helmet like those skid lids. After reading the sticker not DOT approved, I put it back. Fortunately for me I did.
I am not saying anything to down grade the gear available, I just want to tell my story and I love my DOT helmet. So raise your glass and give a toast to vets and riders of all kinds.
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Family and Friends
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 07:05:17 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I write this post with a heavy heart. Just recently I received information my uncle was in a motorcycle cycle accident and fortunately, on his way to recover.

My mother called me and informed  me a friend of the family Ron was in accident as well. Yesterday, I found out he was taken off life support and passed away shortly afterwards. He was 30yrs old when he passed away.

Sometimes, I disagree with the rules and regulations the Army imposes, however, my lay downs and wearing the proper gear have saved my butt a couple of times.

My uncle broke his arm and fractured his skull wearing the famous (skid lids), wonderful name because that is exactly what had happened.

I thought about buying and sporting a helmet like those skid lids. After reading the sticker not DOT approved, I put it back. Fortunately for me I did.
I am not saying anything to down grade the gear available, I just want to tell my story and I love my DOT helmet. So raise your glass and give a toast to vets and riders of all kinds.

Very sorry to read of your uncle's accident and injuries and the passing of your family friend.  My condolences...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 07:12:30 PM »

So sorry to hear of these. Wish your uncle a fast full recovery from his accident. My thoughts, prayers, and condolences go out to you, family, and friends on the loss of your friend.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 10:10:15 AM »

Thank you all very your words. Be sure everyone rides safe.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 05:25:14 PM »

Sorry to hear your uncle's accident....wishing hin a speedy recovery.....

pumkinownerswife

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 05:52:38 AM »

Sorry to hear this, I pray for a fast and full recovery for you uncle and I pray that Ron's family'r hearts to heal.

Helen

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 07:57:25 AM »

thanks everyone. Its sad to say but, the accident my uncle was changed is life for the better. He's slowed down alot and comes around alot more often. So there is a silver lining. Unfortunately, for Rons fam its another story.

Well thanks again everyone for your thoughts and prayers. Ride safe, summer is just around the corner

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 11:02:19 AM »

Condolences to all for the loss of Ron. I will be praying for your Uncles speedy recovery. I have also always chosen to wear a DOT approved helmet...best wishes.

Flyndyna
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 03:20:25 PM »

Sending condolences to the loss of your friend and wishing for a speedy recovery for your Uncle.  I sometimes wear the dreaded skid lid but know and realize I am taking a chance.  They do nothing more than keep the sun off your head.  In my case it does help with a sore neck.  I try as much as possible not to wear it.

Regards, Moe
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 01:27:12 PM »

thanks everyone,
 I talked to him last weekend and he is doing great. Still wearing a cast, however, he is coming around. The doctor said the head injury will take time due to the low grade helmet but he will recover. 50 first dates are not funny in real life. He catches himself repeating the same stories every once in awhile. For all you who wear that style be safe and be aware. By the way he was only going 30 miles an hour. Fractured skull, broke right arm, ground pink toe to the bone, and road rash. Doctor told him he would only have arm, and toes if proper helmet was worn. Out of work for two months.  Man that helmet sounds better and better every day.

Be safe out there everyone regardless what you wear, we are all brothers and sister looking for an enjoyable ride.

IRyde

• Chrome!! Zippin' by on an Electra Glide... Dual Tail Pipes... Doin' 105... In The Broad Daylight... On a Two Lane... Headin' Outta Town!!!!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 01:38:53 PM »

I am happy to hear that your uncle is doing better.  Some times these stories have a less than desirable ending.  I have to agree with about helmet choice.  For a long time the skid lid was my preference.  I have been forcing a full face on my head and am starting to get used to it now.  I know the hard time will be summer.  But, in the long run stories like this make me remember when I reach in the cabinet for the helmet of the day.  I wish your uncle well.  Buy him a full face as a get well gift.   ;)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 03:37:23 PM »

I am happy to hear that your uncle is doing better.  Some times these stories have a less than desirable ending.  I have to agree with about helmet choice.  For a long time the skid lid was my preference.  I have been forcing a full face on my head and am starting to get used to it now.  I know the hard time will be summer.  But, in the long run stories like this make me remember when I reach in the cabinet for the helmet of the day.  I wish your uncle well.  Buy him a full face as a get well gift.   ;)
What a great idea.  A full face helmet as a gift for all you love.  I have one - a good one, but have never forced myself to wear it and so, it is not my favorite.  I also have an old three/quarter helmet.  Real old and not so pretty so don't wear it until forced.  But now, many a few years since purchased, my very very favorite half helmet, is really starting to show it's age, and rather than just replace it or get a new one in box waiting for painting, I might also want to look into forcing myself to get used to a better - safer for me - helmet. 

Jamey - my husband - is finishing the fourth weekend training to become a MSF rider coach this weekend.  And it is not allowed for any rider coach and strongly discouraged for anyone at all to show up at the training sight without full gear - goggles, gloves, over ankle boots, long pants, long sleeves and no less than a three quarter helmet.  This is what they are trying to teach the new riders.  What are we trying to prove, right?  At least DOT.  No less. I am glad to hear the update is at least moving in the direction of positive. Look at our good friend Barry's son's progress.  It is like eating an elephant - one small bite - in this case - one small step at a time.

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 11:33:43 PM »

Most sincere condolences for the loss of your youjng friend's life and a hearty Amen for your Uncle having his Angel with him!

Ride Safe!  :coolblue:

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.