Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thoughts-Advice About 2015 CVO Road Glide Purchase  (Read 3616 times)

fos41

• Full CVO Member
Thoughts-Advice About 2015 CVO Road Glide Purchase
« on: October 24, 2015, 11:13:19 AM »

I am looking to replace my `05 S.E.E.G. with a `15 R.G. CVO Ultra. Since test riding a `15` Ultra R.G. Thursday and reading the other posts here regarding some issues with the bike I am rethinking my idea to buy a `15 CVO R.G. Am hoping some more experienced folks in the forum can enlighten me before I make a expensive mistake buying one.

Initially  I  was thinking on a  `09 CVO R.G. test rode one and loved everything about it and liked everything about it, especially the handling, ergonomics and handlebar  bend! Then, I  rode the 2015 R.G. Ultra recently and have some questions and concerns about the bike. I love the look of the 2015 R.G., but not the top heavy feel when riding at slow speeds such as in a parking lot or tight turns. Also the bar bend is awkward for me with the bars being too far back and turned in and down for me. Being 6 ft. in height long arms and legs the riding position is very uncomfortable (crowded) for me with the handlebar bend and position being to far back and low.

Perhaps I am expecting too much from a new bike with them being made for a rider of average stature. Does the heavy feel come from the liquid cooled heads and larger forks? Any ideas on how much the Ultra tour pack weighs? Has anyone encountered these issues or is it just me? I want to upgrade with a new bike, but after riding the `15 not sure it is the bike for me. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated thanks.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Thoughts-Advice About 2015 CVO Road Glide Purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 12:02:29 PM »

A lot of us have either rolled the bars forward a little or changed them altogether. Makes a big difference in comfort and low speed handling by changing the "leverage" on the bars.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 07:42:28 PM »

I had the pin removed from my Bars on Delivery the first week in Sept last year.  This enabled me to roll the bars forward.  Huge help, I am 6'1".  I however had grown use to 14" apes, had them on my 12 SERG.  I also have them on my 13 SERK.

So, as you saw in another post I did 14 on the 15 SERGU. 

It is a bit top heavy with the tour pac as are all Ultra bikes.  For most it just takes a little getting use to.  I however made my quick detach.  I love it like that.  I have the tour pac when I am traveling or in the winter when I need more gear.  The rest of the time I have it off.

I do not like Air Shocks, some do.  I prefer a firmer more controlled ride, so I changed my air shocks for some good Ohlin Gas shocks that are adjustable for compression and rebound.  Firmer for sure, but handles much better in my opinion.

I have had an 09 SERG and the 12 SERG.  I added chopped tour pacs to those for traveling.  My 12 was the best looking.  However, I love this bike and would do it again.  Some of the Ultra features are real nice. 

Hopefully in 17 they have a Road Glide CVO again, and I would prefer an ultra but will trade for either if they have it.  This one will be over 40K miles as I have 27K on it now.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 07:13:04 AM by FLSTFI Dave »
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

vdubjay

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 05:22:52 AM »

I've had my 15 CVO RG about three months now.  As far as being top heavy, yes it's a lot different than my Softail and with me being 5' 8" when I'm walking it in a parking lot or driveway I definitly feel the weight.  It only took a couple a days though to get used to it and the more I've ridden I don't even think about it much any more, and when I'm out on the road it's not at all an issue.  As far as the bars go, with me being shorter than you they feel fine but I can see where it wouln't be for you at 6' something.  All thing concidered I'm glad I made the move  :)

Hope this helps

BigEasy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MO

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2013 Limited - Traded
    • CVO3: 2009 Ultra - Traded
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 12:25:10 PM »

As with just about all heavy touring bikes, you will have to get used to the handling of the bike.  No bike fits everyone from the factory perfectly.  One great thing about most Harleys is you can fit them to your liking.  For me, this is my first fixed faring in thirty years (since the windjammer days).  I am still getting used to that.  But all in all the '15 CVORGU I bought this year has been a dream.  I bought this bike to eat up miles, not corners, and to that end, this bike is second to none.  This bike is very comfortable for touring.  If you are going corner carving or if you are used to sport touring bikes, you will likely need to modify the suspension a bit.  Which is quite doable.  For myself, I have a 450lb rice burner for corner and/or speed fixes when I need them.  That's just what works for me...   

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 02:21:12 PM »

I had an 05 SEEG and then a 09 SERG and personally I think my 15 CVORG is so far ahead of the others (as it should be) that I love it more everytime I ride it. The bars are a small adjustment. The top heavy feel is something I have never noticed, not sure why  you feel that way. The sound system, contrary to what you read on this site, in my opinion is wonderful, the seat is beyond any motorcycle seat I ever sat on (and I have bought a few hunting for comfort in the past), The only complaint, if I have one, is I cannot remove the lowers in the summer but Otherwise I like mine, have had it a year and if I were to trade today it would be another RGCVO.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 04:11:05 PM »

I had the pin removed from my Bars on Delivery the first week in Sept last year.  This enabled me to roll the bars forward.  Huge help, I am 6'1". I however had grown use to 14" apples, had them on my 12 SERG.  I also have them on my 13 SERK.

So, as you saw in another post I did 14 on the 15 SERGU. 

It is a bit top heavy with the tour pac as are all Ultra bikes.  For most it just takes a little getting use to.  I however made my quick detach.  I love it like that.  I have the tour pac when I am traveling or in the winter when I need more gear.  The rest of the time I have it off.

I do not like Air Shocks, some do.  I prefer a firmer more controlled ride, so I changed my air shocks for some good Ohlin Gas shocks that are adjustable for compression and rebound.  Firmer for sure, but handles much better in my opinion.

I have had an 09 SERG and the 12 SERG.  I added chopped tour pacs to those for traveling.  My 12 was the best looking.  However, I love this bike and would do it again.  Some of the Ultra features are real nice. 

Hopefully in 17 they have a Road Glide CVO again, and I would prefer an ultra but will trade for either if they have it.  This one will be over 40K miles as I have 27K on it now.
:huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2:

gpopvet

• Elite CVO Member
  • 74 and still riding hard.
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Trike
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »

I had the same yellow 05, then 08 CVO Ultra, then 11 CVO RG ultra, and my 2015 far exceeds my desire to ride. This bike is a GREAT ride and I enjoyed it in Sturgiss and wherever I ride.
2021 CVO Trike

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 09:04:54 PM »

I've surprised more than one rider by keeping up with them in the bends, this bike out-handles any other Harley I've ever ridden by a wide margin. I have a blast manhandling this 940 pound beast in the twisties, you definitely need to lead it and pick a line sooner than you would on a Ducati for crying out loud but if you're willing to throw your weight around a bit this motorcycle flat-out behaves way better than you'd expect from a bike this heavy.
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

2014WtGld

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 01:56:44 AM »

Just got back from a trip to the tail of the dragon. It's the first time I've pushed the bike hard in the tight curves. It handled great. I too felt the bike was a little too heavy when I first started riding it. But the more I rode and especially after I removed the tour pak I don't feel that way anymore.

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 06:16:34 AM »

G'day Fos,

I am in total agreement with previous posters. Love the 15RGU. I hated the stock bars, tried rolling them forward and ended up replacing them. For me it was all about wrist angle, it was definitely not car park friendly and very uncomfortable when doing any kind of milage. I am a poofteenth over 6' and am very happy with the new bars.

Gave them & 'Lucille' a workout at the MV GTG a month or so ago. Handles great in all departments in MHO.

I have been riding full dressers and packing my much better half for a few years now so do not notice it being top heavy. In fact I find the Rushmore dressers to be much better balanced in comparison to earlier models.

Cheers Tom

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 12:07:45 PM »

Thanks for your reply Tom and the rest of the responses I appreciate the input very much! Tom that was the issue that was bothering me was the wrist angle having to bend them in an uncomfortable position.

The R.G. Ultra`s 95 lbs. of weight over my R.G. was a surprise to me it was a spontaneous decision to test ride and consider buying one. After researching this bike and reading the post here I realized that  I wont be doing any long distance rides I may need to consider other models.

Donnie

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 21 queries.