Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Super Moon Over Bull Shoals Lake in Arkansas  (Read 2537 times)

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
Super Moon Over Bull Shoals Lake in Arkansas
« on: October 30, 2015, 12:13:24 AM »

Taken two days after the full moon on 10/29.  Not the best pics I've ever taken, but I'm not a moon photographer.  I'm wondering if a filter would have helped, or maybe I should've tried 3 shots and put them together as an HDR.
Maybe Kiro will weigh in if he reads this.  Or if anyone else out there has tips, I'm all ears.
Enjoy the link!

https://flic.kr/s/aHskjJAL6i
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
Re: Super Moon Over Bull Shoals Lake in Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 03:09:54 AM »

Nothing wrong with that photo - looks awesome.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 09:32:56 AM »

Awsome photo.

Kiro and Jock is another one.  Actually we've got a few photographers on this forum that know much, much more than I'll ever know and they have the equipment to support their knowledge.  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 10:12:16 AM »

Sorry for the non reply Harry - I haven't been monitoring too closely of late... I like your moon shot. Lunar imaging is a function of focal length, critical focus & exposure duration. You need fast exposures and stable equipment to prevent camera shake/mirror flop. Most dedicated lunar/planetary imagers are using video these days, taking hundreds of frames and stacking the best in software. Never tried lunar HDR, higher ISO introduces a lot of noise which could be problematic. The attached shot was taken through one of my scopes - a 130mm triplet refactor, 1085mm focal length at f/8.35, 1/8000 second at ISO 800. Believe me, there are some amazing lunar imagers out there and I'm not in that group - LOL... Contact me off-line if you want to discuss techniques.

In the past few months I've been making some equipment changes and updating software to get back into astroimaging. I'm setting up to be more portable and simplifying things. We're under the jet stream in Maine and the sky conditions are never great - I'm close to assembling an imaging system I can transport in my truck along with with my daytime gear.  I'll let you know how things progress.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 06:53:30 AM »

Sorry for the non reply Harry - I haven't been monitoring too closely of late... I like your moon shot. Lunar imaging is a function of focal length, critical focus & exposure duration. You need fast exposures and stable equipment to prevent camera shake/mirror flop. Most dedicated lunar/planetary imagers are using video these days, taking hundreds of frames and stacking the best in software. Never tried lunar HDR, higher ISO introduces a lot of noise which could be problematic. The attached shot was taken through one of my scopes - a 130mm triplet refactor, 1085mm focal length at f/8.35, 1/8000 second at ISO 800. Believe me, there are some amazing lunar imagers out there and I'm not in that group - LOL... Contact me off-line if you want to discuss techniques.

In the past few months I've been making some equipment changes and updating software to get back into astroimaging. I'm setting up to be more portable and simplifying things. We're under the jet stream in Maine and the sky conditions are never great - I'm close to assembling an imaging system I can transport in my truck along with with my daytime gear.  I'll let you know how things progress.

Hummm ok ???                  What ever that was what you said" it works" you can just about make out the golf course. Nice shot :2vrolijk_21:   :)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 07:00:27 AM »

Taken two days after the full moon on 10/29.  Not the best pics I've ever taken, but I'm not a moon photographer.  I'm wondering if a filter would have helped, or maybe I should've tried 3 shots and put them together as an HDR.
Maybe Kiro will weigh in if he reads this.  Or if anyone else out there has tips, I'm all ears.
Enjoy the link!

https://flic.kr/s/aHskjJAL6i

Say RG. That's a good moon for what you had at hand  :2vrolijk_21:

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 10:40:03 AM »

Thanks for the reply, Kirk.  I was using a D610 with a heavy tripod (but no weight - forgot it!) and Nikon's new 80-400 at 1/320 at ISO 400.  I did have the mirror up and was using a digital remote to trigger the shutter and was zoomed all the way out at 400mm.  I'm more of a Milky Way shooter than a lunar dude, but I thought I'd try my luck with the moon that night.  There was no breeze so I lucked out with not having a weight for the tripod.  I talked to my nephew and he gave me more pointers as well.  He's more avid than I am about it.
I've seen your equipment and it's amazing to me.  I have a little-bitty Celestron C5 Schmidt-Cassegrain, and looking back, I should have used it.  I have an F mount for the camera and at 1250mm, it would have been a much different image I'm thinking!
Thanks again for the reply!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.