Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: High Speed Wobble  (Read 1258 times)

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
High Speed Wobble
« on: November 29, 2015, 06:42:04 PM »

I have my bike back in the shop trying to fix a high speed wobble that developed after hitting a huge pot hole this summer.  This the second time it is at the Harley dealer. The first time, the tech who rode it said he didn't detect it. (I'd like to invite him to experience the near tank-slapper I had over Thanksgiving!).

The wobble comes on about 60-65 mph and becomes pretty violent once it gets going. Goes away when I slow. After hitting the pot hole I found that the front tire was under inflated by a couple of pounds. and slightly cupped so I replaced the front tire along with the rear tire with new Avon Cobras. I was hoping this would fix the problem, but although the wobble is slightly less, it is still there. Can someone help me with a methodical approach to troubleshooting it? My setup: 2008 CVO Ultra; monotubes in the front forks and ohlin shocks in the rear with a bagger brace installed underneath.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: High Speed Wobble
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 02:31:14 PM »

Check out the comments in my post "scary wobble" there are a number of suggestions
I didn't hit a pot hole but had to find the cause of the wobble all the same.   

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=104211.msg1343209#msg1343209
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 02:34:32 PM by longlast »

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 02:51:13 PM »

I read through it. Did you get your's solved? Haven't heard back from the dealer yet, but want to make sure they've checked for possible causes.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 05:32:38 PM »

I read through it. Did you get your's solved? Haven't heard back from the dealer yet, but want to make sure they've checked for possible causes.

Yes,.. mine was a tyre issue. the tyre that was install was the wrong LOAD rated for the weight for the bike. It had been over looked by the shops I had gone to. I found it just by fluke when I was reading the info on the left side wall of the tyre. It would be fine at speeds under 68 mph over the top of that it would become (in my opinion) unstable and the bike would begin too wobble.
You said you put on new tyres maybe worth a check.
I'm still in the proses of trying to get my tyre chanced at no cost. I'm still waiting on their reply.

I should add how I determined it was the tyre,.. I put 43 psi in and hit the road for a test run (btw rear tyre) I got her up to 86/7 mph completely in control and smooth run. What ever The extra 3+ psi did it stabled the tyre and cleared the wobble but it's over pressure now and that was when it was cold. I don't know what it climes to when hot           
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 06:21:46 PM by longlast »

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.