Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Resting your foot on the heel shifter  (Read 5061 times)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Resting your foot on the heel shifter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 07:18:57 PM »

:P
Having owned a variety of brands over the years,  I've had plenty of experience with just using the toe.....up/down.  I'm now on my 5th harley and the first of which was a Dyna Wide Glide.  That model was set up perfectly for just using the toe.

Since then though,  I've had all Tour models.  I can tell ya for a fact,  to me it's faster and more convenient and no scuff marks on your boot toe to slam down on that heel shifter.

Now,  here is the "trick" you need to employ so as to ease the minds of those .............that think you might "slam the gears, and/or break something.  Pull that heel shifter off of its splines and relocate it so as it (bottoms out) on that "cushy" floor pad and cannot be jammed any further.  This eliminates any excessive pressure above and beyond what is needed to complete the shift.

Other than that,  one other point as you mention "resting your foot on the heel shifter"...........If you do NOT raise your heel sufficiently after making that shift,  the trans will not "ratchet" to be set up for the next gear shift..........so the result will be you remain in the same gear when you slam it again.

Don't ask me how I know that. :oops:   

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 05:23:19 PM »

I had the same back problems and surgery you did. When I went back to riding in '99 after alot of years without a bike, I actually made sure the bike had a heel shifter as I still just cannot lift my foot to shift, after a couple times it becomes to painful to ride. But I do like JCZ drop the rear shift lever as low as possible so I hardly, if at all have to pick-up my heel to shift. Like backrests the heel shifter allows me to continue to ride.
But do not ride with the shifter down after the shift.

Asphalt_Cowboy

Resting your foot on the heel shifter
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 09:03:17 PM »

Could you do something like this? This is on the 15 Limited I had, but I gave them the stock shifter arms when I traded, and then put these on my CVO. They are the HD Extended shifters. The way the are set, I have minimal foot/leg movement to shift. I use the toe to downshift only and heal to obviously upshift. When I upshift the peg barely compresses the footboard pad. I wear a 10 1/2 boot and I have full use of the footboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 09:14:05 PM by Asphalt_Cowboy »

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2016, 12:26:10 PM »

How about a Pingel Electric shift! Two buttons up beside the clutch perch, one up, one down. No foot movement required! twinotter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2016, 05:04:26 PM »

How about a Pingel Electric shift! Two buttons up beside the clutch perch, one up, one down. No foot movement required! twinotter

One time in my life I rode a bike with an electric shift installed.  Maybe three years ago.  Talk about habituation and muscle memory and everything that goes in to the system that we are.  We pulled over for fuel about 90 minutes in to the ride and the guy whose bike it (he was on my bike) asked why every time I shifted the front of my left foot still kept moving  :huepfenlol2: .

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 05:48:09 AM »

Just remove it.  Problem solved.  It did. . I haven't used one in 10 years now.  Plenty of room too.   :orange:
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 25 queries.