Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: load resistors vs modules for Led and flashers  (Read 1359 times)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
load resistors vs modules for Led and flashers
« on: January 21, 2016, 07:22:54 PM »

I installed Led 1157 units from Custom Dynamics. To get my blinkers to work I was planning to use 50w 6ohm load resistors. I was going to connect one in left circuit to gnd and one in the right circuit to ground. My original 1157 bulbs are 4 ohms, in parallel it's two ohms. The 6 ohm resistors will draw less current than the bulbs therefore hopefully less heat and still operate the flasher unit.
  The modules are small and need some rewiring?  Most ccopany want 30 bucks plus shipping. If I loose a led segment on the road I can cut the ground on the resistors and put a 1157 bulb back in.
Pros Cons?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: load resistors vs modules for Led and flashers
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 08:10:55 PM »

Have done it the old way with inline resistors many times what now seems decades ago.  Yeah, it costs less.  It's never as neat as plug in modules though.  And with the modern modules the old way is never as reliable either.  Modules are also so much simpler.  Do it the easy way.

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 01:53:41 PM »

I installed the Custom Dynamics LEDs for the bullets on my 2011.5 SEUC, and if I remember correctly... the inline load balancer also from Custom Dynamics was plug and play under the seat into the existing wiring harness.  No cutting, no fuss.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »

$30!?   Crazy!  Try $5.  I have used these for several years without fail.   LED Light Load Resistor Kit - LED Turn Signal Hyper Flash & Warning Fix

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 03:59:51 PM »

$30!?   Crazy!  Try $5.  I have used these for several years without fail.   LED Light Load Resistor Kit - LED Turn Signal Hyper Flash & Warning Fix

Greg, I'm curious:  the product description says to:  Connect one across each LED turn signal bulb to simulate filament Tail/Turn signal bulbs. So for all four turn signals and taillight you'd need 5 of these - or did one do the job?

Jerry

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 04:05:50 PM »

Greg, I'm curious:  the product description says to:  Connect one across each LED turn signal bulb to simulate filament Tail/Turn signal bulbs. So for all four turn signals and taillight you'd need 5 of these - or did one do the job?

Jerry

BTW,  this is for president CANBUS bikes.  You do not need one for the tail light as it does not blink. You need one per circuit. On a motorcycle, I used one for the front and one for the rear.  Mind you, it's been awhile since I've had to do this which was on my 2009 SERG.  On my ford truck, I had to use four.   For the price, you could buy two extra just to be sure.  Hope this helps.   GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 05:12:42 PM »

BTW,  this is for president CANBUS bikes.  You do not need one for the tail light as it does not blink. You need one per circuit. On a motorcycle, I used one for the front and one for the rear.  Mind you, it's been awhile since I've had to do this which was on my 2009 SERG.  On my ford truck, I had to use four.   For the price, you could buy two extra just to be sure.  Hope this helps.   GK
Thanks Greg.  That is one good thing about the canbus system on the new bikes - they can learn/adapt to these changes. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 09:07:20 PM »

To my knowledge. You only need two resistors.  One connects between the left blinker module output to gnd and the right blinker output and gnd. I will have mine installed tomorrow

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 25 queries.