Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD factory demo rides  (Read 2864 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
HD factory demo rides
« on: February 27, 2016, 09:25:49 PM »

I got an email advising me of the MoCo factory demo rides tour and happened to notice that it was this weekend at San Diego Harley Davidson.  Called a friend that's been renting several different models trying to decide which one to buy and agreed to meet him over there.

To my surprise, they had several CVO models and so I signed up for the CVO Ultra Road Glide.  Been riding with the batwing fairing for to many years.....I'm spoiled.  Just to much wind buffeting on the Road Glide for me.  Just not much in the way of an functional fairing.  I didn't see anyway of closing up the wind tunnels that are down by the forks.  I could look down and see the road on either side of the fork legs as I was riding and a lot of wind coming up from down there. 

There was also a very slight vibration but that could have been due to a lost wheel weight or something.

The ride was a ten mile loop.  Got a late start today so we're going back tomorrow to ride a couple more.  I was surprised that there weren't any long lines.  Probably will be tomorrow, after everybody goes home and tells their friends.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DaBigNuttedMan

• Steered & Geared by DaBigNuttedMan
  • Elite CVO Member
  • No Skool Straight F Fuc_ PowerCustom PypeDaShi_

• CVO1: 2011 RoadGlide Ultra Screamin Eagle
    • CVO2: 1969 Rupp Roadster chromed up Shriner Special
    • CVO3: Grasshopper 725 w/48" snothrower
Re: HD factory demo rides
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 02:53:50 PM »

I have an 11 cvo road glide and still with the stock windshield with no helmet [most of my riding] I am not bothered by any buffeting, BUT with my fullface helmet DAMM it's terrible, it's a Harley brand helmet it's not too big but the wind to my ears is more and annoying than with out the helmet. Will be revamping another one of our garages before customizing for aero with the  R Glide though. and I have not ridden with either of the half helmets I have either. Still I prefer the R Glide.
Life begins just outside your comfort zone and you havent lived until you push a full dress harley on a hot day up a grade because your low mile twincam fell apart, and your convinced it's to bitchen to leave it there.           Ugh pardon me but do you have any beer?

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 06:29:03 PM »

I'd like to ride the project livewire bike.      :bananarock:      haven't heard much about that lately.

Wandell is with Exide now, maybe he'll cut em a deal on battery technology.  ;D

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 08:28:16 PM »

Buttons close the lower ducts, they are located in the tunnels and are the same construction and shape as the one on the dash. CVO's come with crashbar/tank mounted deflectors that are removeable. Sounds like the one you rode had them removed.
Something was wrong, I have had two of both fixed (RG's) and moveable (EG's). No comparison, ALL the Road Glides have much less turbulence and my 15 is very still around my head. Maybe you rode one with a short windshield being installed.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 09:07:40 PM »

I never close any of the 3 vents on my 15 SERGU. Stock shield there was no buffeting.  If the lower engine guard air deflectors were missing that could explain it.

I have had the older road glides which took lots of work to eliminate the buffeting.  I rode the different Street Glides my wife has owned, much more buffeting. 

She switched to the new road glide when they came out.  She hated the older ones due to buffeting, but lovers her 15 road glide.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 09:26:41 PM »

No buffeting at the head....it was coming from down below, into my upper body and then from around the windscreen buffeting on my upper arms. 

It's probably just me....I'm spoiled.  The batwing fairing is much wider, much closer to the rider and so a whole lot less wind turbulance. 

I rode the Street Glide Trike today.  I've rode a few trikes over the years but I don't remember any of them being as cumbersome as this one.   :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 06:17:59 AM »

I'd like to ride the project livewire bike.      :bananarock:      haven't heard much about that lately.

I rode one when the tour hit NYC in 2014.
It was a blast, instant acceleration and enough regenerative braking that you almost did not have to use the bikes brakes.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 07:27:45 AM »

I rode one when the tour hit NYC in 2014.
It was a blast, instant acceleration and enough regenerative braking that you almost did not have to use the bikes brakes.

Tell me more, I like to hear real world experiences, so kinda like engine braking in a lower gear,  there are a few electric bikes on the market now, some has a gearbox.

They intrigue me, HD behind the times now from trying to perfect and bulletproof there current rides.  :confused5:

Ride Green

TN

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 08:21:56 AM »

No buffeting at the head....it was coming from down below, into my upper body and then from around the windscreen buffeting on my upper arms. 

It's probably just me....I'm spoiled.  The batwing fairing is much wider, much closer to the rider and so a whole lot less wind turbulance. 

I rode the Street Glide Trike today.  I've rode a few trikes over the years but I don't remember any of them being as cumbersome as this one.   :nixweiss:

JC, I was in the same boat as you (and most other) Batwing enthusiasts.  I had been on a couple sharks and while they were comfortable, they didn't sway me from the bats.  However, the '15 SERGU I rode this past Summer sold me on the redesign.  My riding buddy has a '12 Skunk and I rode it a few times and I liked it but the re-design for the '15 was a completely different experience and swayed me to the shark side.  I found quite a bit less buffeting on me with the '15 but Vickie noticed her sitting position was a bit higher and seemed to get more side draft on this bike than previous bat wings.  I've installed a freedom shield and ride with all three faring vents closed and the lower vents partially open.  That seemed to help a bit on the side draft for her.  We changed helmets to address the height issues and she's comfortable now.
I'm sold on this generation of the RG.  I suggest you ride one on the interstate and when that transfer truck passes you or you have a good steady breeze, you will note how much less your fighting the handlebars.  Yes the bike still moves but the handlebars are steady and little to no pressure.  I found I was much less tired in my upper body at the end of a long day with this bike.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 10:21:29 PM »

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 11:06:05 PM »

Try this Phil

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=95441.msg1243392#msg1243392

Thanks Duane, I hadn't seen that thread before. There are some electric bikes on the market that seems solid, Zero is one I have been researching. Does Look like a city fellas bike.

I'd like to demo one.

TN

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 08:40:19 AM »

I got an email advising me of the MoCo factory demo rides tour and happened to notice that it was this weekend at San Diego Harley Davidson.  Called a friend that's been renting several different models trying to decide which one to buy and agreed to meet him over there.

To my surprise, they had several CVO models and so I signed up for the CVO Ultra Road Glide.  Been riding with the batwing fairing for to many years.....I'm spoiled.  Just to much wind buffeting on the Road Glide for me.  Just not much in the way of an functional fairing.  I didn't see anyway of closing up the wind tunnels that are down by the forks.  I could look down and see the road on either side of the fork legs as I was riding and a lot of wind coming up from down there. 

The ride was a ten mile loop.  Got a late start today so we're going back tomorrow to ride a couple more.  I was surprised that there weren't any long lines.  Probably will be tomorrow, after everybody goes home and tells their friends.

There was also a very slight vibration but that could have been due to a lost wheel weight or something.

X1 me too traded my 11 RG back to batwing for the same reasons .
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:47:44 AM by JCZ »
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.