Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cold start problem....  (Read 759 times)

NorCalRider

• Junior CVO Member
  • been ridin since i was 10 years old...
Cold start problem....
« on: April 01, 2016, 12:43:50 AM »

Ok, I have a 2007 SERK that has been running and starting perfect during last years riding season. I started the bike every couple of weeks this winter and all was fine. Then about a month ago I fire the bike up and it starts right up then acts like it looses a cylinder, and dies. Start it again and same deal. After 3 or 4 times of that, it will start and run at hide idle like before the concern and then idle down and run fine. Even cold, once running I can rev the engine with no problems. Once I start moving, riding, no problem at all. Then today came back from a short 10 mile ride and stopped outside and went to open my garage. Went back to start the bike and park in the garage and the engine only cranked without starting. On the third try the bike starts as normal and runs fine again. I checked all the connectors and the bike has plenty of fuel so....any ideas? I'm at a loss on this one.
Thanks for any ideas or something that may point me in a direction I haven't tried.
Chris  :-[
Better to have memories than to be a memory....just say'in.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

Re: Cold start problem....
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 08:45:17 AM »

well the starting thing over the winter is not a good idea. you are doing more harm than good. So lets start with the plugs have you checked them??  fresh fuel in the bike? start with the basic items.. From dead cold, turn it on but do not crank it , then bump the start button. then bump once more, then on that third bump crank it.. It if starts right up , that is telling you that it is wanting more fuel, as each bump sprays the injector on the cold start pulse.. Points you in a direction.. Like I said though keep it simple fresh fuel, plugs ( stock or champion gap to .035) And use common sense approach , once you start there you can check some things off the list and go further,

One more thing before you turn the bike on with ign and run switch open fuel door remove cap. Then turn ign on but not run switch , listen for the pump to run and then what it does after that when you turn run switch on . pump should run and then stop if if does that and you hear gurgling or a spraying noise you have a hole in the line. If thats the case the bump and wait will start the bike. all in the same set up just a way to get around lack of fuel on start up.. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:49:05 AM by GMR-PERFORMANCE »
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 25 queries.