Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible issue with Baker 6 Speed  (Read 5140 times)

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

Possible issue with Baker 6 Speed
« on: March 31, 2016, 07:55:32 PM »

Saw this on Facebook and thought I would pass it on in case anyone on the site has one and it's true.

RSD-6 SPEED TRANSMISSIONS MAY BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.

The Baker RSD 6-Speed Transmission in my custom with only 4200 miles on it could have KILLED ME when my Baker 6-Speed locked up on Saturday March 5th, 2016. I was rolling down the freeway I shifted from 6th Gear to 5th gear going approximately 65 miles per hour, and without warning, the gear teeth broke and shattered, suddenly put me in a 75 yard skid. Luckily I was able to keep the bike upright throughout the gear failure, and extremely fortunate I wasn’t run-over by freeway traffic following me. I could have been seriously injured or killed because of Baker’s manufacturing defect on their RSD 6 Speed transmissions.

I have reports of at least 4 other (additionally 3 more in the last 24 hours because of this original post) Baker RSD Transmissions that I know of that have failed the same way.

Now it’s Personal to me.
After taking time to contact Lisa Baker, President of Baker Transmissions, Baker refused to take responsibility for their dangerous Manufacturing defects in their RSD 6-Speed Transmission. Mrs. Baker let me know over several phone and email conversations this month that they “updated” their transmissions but REFUSE to do a manufacturer’s RECALL on existing units on the road, potentially putting ALL MOTORCYCLISTS with a BAKER RSD 6-Speed at enormous risk!

If you own a Baker RSD 6-Speed Transmission, and this type of critical failure hasn’t happened to you yet, you’ve been warned.
If you have had a similar failure, or are aware of someone riding a Baker RSD 6-Speed with a Baker that has experienced a catastrophic gear failure, please contact me.

THIS IS CRITICALLY DANGEROUS and a POTENTIALLY FATAL MANUFACTURING DEFECT.

I am considering starting a class action suit against Baker for the safety of all motorcyclists that have a Baker RSD 6 Speed Transmission installed in their machine. Their lack of appropriate response to my failure this month, and my awareness of several other similar failures leaves me no option but to follow through with legal remedies.

Please email me, john@Musclebikes.com with any information of catastrophic failures of Baker RSD 6-Speed Transmission that you or your loved ones may have EVER experienced.

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: Possible issue with Baker 6 Speed
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 09:59:45 PM »

Have a friend here in WV, who had one fail and lock-up years ago.  I mean back in 2002-3.  I don't have any experience with a Baker Tranny.  Another friend has 2 of them.  One in a Ultra-Classic, and one in a Big Dog Chopper.  He's never had any trouble, and runs the chit outta' both of 'em.  I was thinking about a 7-speed, for maybe next year.  Maybe the MoCo will have one in the future.  Later--HUBBARD     
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 09:31:52 PM »

Maybe something has changed at Baker or something is not right about that post. I installed a DD6 in 2006 on new Street Glide and from what I remember I had about 6000 miles on it when I lost a pair of gear. Don't remember if it was 3rd and 4th or if it was 5th and 6th but took the bike back to the shop, they called Baker and we had a replacement tranny setting there in just a few days and the old one had not even been returned yet. Maybe something is different at Baker now, but their customer service used to be excellent.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 10:30:54 PM »

Maybe something has changed at Baker or something is not right about that post

Not sure but that's why I listed it as possible problems. Sure would hate to see someone hurt if there is a issue. Maybe there into the second or third generation of family running the company or maybe the guy got ugly with them and they told him to take a hike. No clue. Time will tell.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 11:56:32 PM »

I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but the unit is called RSD, or Reverse Side Drive. It's for custom bikes with a chain or belt is on the right side. Not to sure how or if that makes a difference. No problems here with my DD6.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 12:03:59 PM »

Maybe something has changed at Baker or something is not right about that post

Not sure but that's why I listed it as possible problems. Sure would hate to see someone hurt if there is a issue. Maybe there into the second or third generation of family running the company or maybe the guy got ugly with them and they told him to take a hike. No clue. Time will tell.

Your correct there Chains. Never want to see anyone hurt and we see family business change from what they once were as it progresses through the family. Sure hope Baker is not one of those
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 01:37:21 PM »

I hope they're not either as I really want their reverse.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 08:17:42 PM »

Maybe something has changed at Baker
or something is not right about that post

I'd say there's something wrong with the post....65 mph. and a 75 yd. skid?   :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 10:59:48 PM »

I have a Primo Rivera 6 speed Over Drive with over 55,000 miles and  no problems at all. Shifts smooth and not noisy. I love it. Cost a lot less than Baker.  If pull it apart  and compare it to the Baker. The Baker gears are weaker not at massive.

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.