Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garmin Update  (Read 1278 times)

sjr

• Full CVO Member
  • The hotter the Fire.....The Stronger the Steel
Garmin Update
« on: March 14, 2016, 12:43:17 PM »

I have a Zumo 660
Is there a way to update the maps, easily, without having to pay ?
I have never updated it since I got it new in 2011.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Garmin Update
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 01:04:59 PM »

unless you have a 660LM ( LM units have lifetime maps ) you would need to either purchase a 1 time update or a lifetime update.

another thing to consider is the current map sets are to big to fit on the 660 unless you also have added a micro sd card
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 03:41:33 PM »

Totally depends on how old your unit is. All later units had the LM designation which was for lifetime maps and traffic, older ones didn't. I had an older one, bought the update from Amazon and a 8 gig micro sd card ($8.08 at the time) and kept mine updated quarterly or as the updates became available. One thing that I did appreciate was the phone numbers and a couple new subdivisions in our area that appeared after seperate undates. It is very easy to update using the Garmin deal and for the NAV deal only I liked it much better than my current Infortaiment system.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 04:21:15 PM »

I have a Zumo 660
Have you ever registered it with Garmin.com? Not sure but you may be due one free update if it has never been registered and if there is not a time limit on the free update (if there was one). Other than that what has already been posted it has to be a LM (lifetime maps), you purchase an update (single or lifetime), and you add a SD card (so all of the map will fit).

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:13:04 PM »

They all came with one free update prior to the lifetime deal becoming available. Mine was only good for 90 days, I still have the paperwork.
F.Y.I. ALL Garmin units need to be registered and updated as soon as possible after you buy them. I had a neighbor bring me his new Nuvi last week that he purchased from Best Buy on Monday. He wanted help to check it, even though the sales guy had told him it had the latest update and was good for at least a year. It had updates available when I checked, the data in the unit was 1st quarter 2014. Salesman was a little off.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 09:47:55 PM »

pull your battery out and look at the label under it.  if it has 'lm' you have lifetime maps. 

interesting, to add to what I just said.  I had pulled the battery on the wife's earlier to plug in her sd card, that's when I noticed the 'lm' designation on the label.  but before posting the above, I pulled the battery on my unit (that sounds so bad.....) and it does not say 'lm' yet, I have updated it several times through garmin express.....  oh well, i'm not complaining :D  :pineapple:
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Rumblerider

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NM

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 01:33:26 AM »

I have a Zumo 660

Hi SJR,

Just read your post and looks like you received some great feedback.  A couple of things to note: 1) You can only buy lifetime updates for the native maps you have on your unit; 2) If you haven't registered your unit on Garmin.com you have a chance to get a 10% discount on products purchased at the Garmin website by doing so.  The discount will show up in your profile on "My Dashboard" after you register your device.

Good luck! 
V&H Power Duals with Monster Ovals, SERT, GMR Performance Dyno Tune, Custom Dynamics Brake Light & Rear Turn Signals,  Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz for Front Signals, H-D DayMaker Head Lights and Aux Lights, and of course the Custom Billet Works "Screamin Eagle" on the Tour Pack!

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 25 queries.