Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How many miles have you gotten from your hydraulic cam chain tensioner??  (Read 2347 times)

MGB

• Junior CVO Member

Been about 30,000 miles since I put on an upgraded cam chain tensioner and high flow oil pump. Anyone got an idea how long these things last before replacing again???
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom

I'd say you are getting pretty close. . . I went with gear drive on my 04. . . I think that's the way to go on your bike. . I had s&s. 570. They were great. . Stuart.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Take a look at the tensioner pads. Like lifters it's a "crap shoot".  Some guys get high mileage, others don't. At 30,000 your due for an inspection of them.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

If you used the Harley kit to upgrade to the hydraulic tensioners, as opposed to replacing everything with the 2007 and later production parts plus "conversion" cams, you had to reuse the inner chain.  IMHO a big part of the problem with the early tensioner system was the type and quality of chain the MoCo used.  Chains with sharp or rough edges chewed through the shoes pretty quickly, and the big variation in chain quality over the period from '99 through '06 is the most likely reason why some folks never had a problem while others had failures at 20k miles or less. 

At 30k miles I would pull the outer cover and inspect the shoes (you'll need a dental mirror or something similar to check the inner).  If you have any doubt at all after the inspection, go ahead and change the shoes.  It's a relatively cheap item compared to what happens with a complete failure.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MGB

• Junior CVO Member

Looks like the outer shoe is in pretty good shape.  Like grc said, the inner chain was probably used when I had the new kit installed as I did not change to new cams etc.. Guess the only way to check the inner chain and shoe is to pull everything out or to find a small enough mirror to check it out. Huh??? That right??? To pull it all out, you have to remove the push rods etc.??? Check out the pic and let me know what you guys think????
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.