Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine light Q.  (Read 3487 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Engine light Q.
« on: August 05, 2016, 06:48:17 PM »

Hi guys, I have a small issue with the engine light with my 07 Ultra. When I'm riding and in top gear if I give it a bit of welly "throttle" the engine light comes on, It stays on for about 30 sec and goes out. I have no start up or engine performance issue the motor seems to be running fine. It started this around 3 weeks ago and only when l punch it in fifth or sixth  "which isn't often".  l was wondering if it's a warning or something is not operating correctly. l have 14k on the clock. Any input on what may be causing this would be appreciated. 

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Engine light Q.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 07:15:30 PM »

Hi guys, I have a small issue with the engine light with my 07 Ultra. When I'm riding and in top gear if I give it a bit of welly "throttle" the engine light comes on, It stays on for about 30 sec and goes out. I have no start up or engine performance issue the motor seems to be running fine. It started this around 3 weeks ago and only when l punch it in fifth or sixth  "which isn't often".  l was wondering if it's a warning or something is not operating correctly. l have 14k on the clock. Any input on what may be causing this would be appreciated.

Has it stored a code?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 07:38:12 PM »

Has it stored a code?

I haven't looked into that. I'll check into it l didn't think of checking that out I'll see what comes up  :2vrolijk_21:

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 11:08:02 PM »

Is it the same light that comes on until you build up fuel pressure during prestart? My 2006 ultra would turn that light on same as yours. I changed fuel filter along with plastic hose and light stays out now. If it is the same light, I recommend changing fuel filter asap. A plugged filter over works the fuel pump and can cause it to fail. I know the fuel pump on a '06 is very expensive and assume yours is too.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:11:26 PM by bigchuck »
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 08:56:58 AM »

Is it the same light that comes on until you build up fuel pressure during prestart? My 2006 ultra would turn that light on same as yours. I changed fuel filter along with plastic hose and light stays out now. If it is the same light, I recommend changing fuel filter asap. A plugged filter over works the fuel pump and can cause it to fail. I know the fuel pump on a '06 is very expensive and assume yours is too.

Good point.  A restricted fuel filter could cause fuel pressure to drop enough when the engine is demanding more fuel (like hard acceleration in upper gears) to set a code and turn on the check engine light.  Hopefully a check of stored codes will turn up something to help lead him in the right direction.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 06:22:31 PM »

It's one and the same. I had been into the HD shop some time ago about the light re-illuminating. It comes on as normal when you turn on the ignition, you can hear the pump then the pump stops and the light goes out, a few sec later it illuminates on again for up to 10 sec. no pump sound. The Dealer asked if it stays on when it's running, I said no, don't worry about it then was the reply, so I didn't!! and haven't.
I'm wondering would the second illumination be indicating a code is present? I haven't had a chance to look into it this weekend as yet but I'll have a go at it in the next day or two. This will be my first attempt at pulling up the code checks. I don't really know what I'm doing but I'll give it a go and see what happens.   

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 07:38:37 PM »

It's one and the same. I had been into the HD shop some time ago about the light re-illuminating. It comes on as normal when you turn on the ignition, you can hear the pump then the pump stops and the light goes out, a few sec later it illuminates on again for up to 10 sec. no pump sound. The Dealer asked if it stays on when it's running, I said no, don't worry about it then was the reply, so I didn't!! and haven't.
I'm wondering would the second illumination be indicating a code is present? I haven't had a chance to look into it this weekend as yet but I'll have a go at it in the next day or two. This will be my first attempt at pulling up the code checks. I don't really know what I'm doing but I'll give it a go and see what happens.

When the light comes on the second time and then eventually goes out, that is telling you there is a code (or codes) that is historical, not current.  In other words whatever fault originally caused the code(s) is not currently an active fault.  When you check the codes they should still show up even if they are historical and not active.  Write down any codes you find, then clear them following the instructions.  If that solves your check engine light problem and it doesn't return, you are done.  If the light comes on again and sets a code again, you have an intermittent issue that needs to be diagnosed and repaired.  Historical codes will eventually clear themselves if the problem doesn't reoccur, but I prefer to clear them immediately versus waiting for 50 ignition cycles or whatever the current setting is before they clear themselves.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 11:51:37 PM »

When the light comes on the second time and then eventually goes out, that is telling you there is a code (or codes) that is historical, not current.  In other words whatever fault originally caused the code(s) is not currently an active fault.  When you check the codes they should still show up even if they are historical and not active.  Write down any codes you find, then clear them following the instructions.  If that solves your check engine light problem and it doesn't return, you are done.  If the light comes on again and sets a code again, you have an intermittent issue that needs to be diagnosed and repaired.  Historical codes will eventually clear themselves if the problem doesn't reoccur, but I prefer to clear them immediately versus waiting for 50 ignition cycles or whatever the current setting is before they clear themselves.

Jerry

OK right, now I got the drift of how it works. My light just came on  ;D Well explained Jerry :2vrolijk_21:
I'm a better monkey wrencher then I am a tec button pusher  :P I'll post what I find. 

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 12:38:45 PM »

Well I don't know!! I got threw the code check; when I started there was a code Po132 = front 02 sensor high(EFI) what dose EFI stand for?
I cleared the code then went for a short run. the previse code was gone a new one was up P1353 = front cylinder no combustion (EFI)
Would it be that sensitive it's picking up a plug fault under high load but I can't feel or hear any change? I got it booked in the HD shop tomorrow and have them plug it in the tester and see what they come up with. I'm thinking plugs.   

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 03:31:43 PM »

Well I don't know!! I got threw the code check; when I started there was a code Po132 = front 02 sensor high(EFI) what dose EFI stand for?
I cleared the code then went for a short run. the previse code was gone a new one was up P1353 = front cylinder no combustion (EFI)
Would it be that sensitive it's picking up a plug fault under high load but I can't feel or hear any change? I got it booked in the HD shop tomorrow and have them plug it in the tester and see what they come up with. I'm thinking plugs.

EFI is an abbreviation for electronic fuel injection.  And yes, it is possible to have an intermittent misfire you may not notice but the electronics can detect. 

Jerry

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 05:44:39 PM »

Jerry

Had an '06 that I would lose, the  tach & speedo,  engine light would come on and bike ran fine. I stopped ,cycled the ign switch and it would go away for a while. Tech said it wouldn't throw a code. They changed out ECM,& battery and don;t know what else.. still did it He called HD and they ended up changing out the radio of all things  and that fixed the problem. I know that sounds nuts... just reporting  what the hell it was..lol 
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 10:01:50 AM »

Had an '06 that I would lose, the  tach & speedo,  engine light would come on and bike ran fine. I stopped ,cycled the ign switch and it would go away for a while. Tech said it wouldn't throw a code. They changed out ECM,& battery and don;t know what else.. still did it He called HD and they ended up changing out the radio of all things  and that fixed the problem. I know that sounds nuts... just reporting  what the hell it was..lol

My '07 did the same thing, all the instruments would go out but the engine still ran. It was unnerving when it would happen, I turned around and went back home a few times because of it. Mine never posted a code either. Hard to imagine how the radio plays into that.  :nixweiss:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 04:40:05 AM »

This post is just to Thank you all for your help and information.
With your input l got a a better understanding how the check engine light and the code numbers work in relation to faults.
I didn't get the bike into the dealer for the diagnostic, they called me and said that the machine was down for repair and rebooked for the 30th of the month. 

So, I had a think about it (it didn't hert to much😂) and the codes that were coming up along with the check engine light coming on with acceleration, I decided that it could be plugs and air filter intake combination.
I went to Harley and got plugs and air filter. I installed them yesterday then took the bike for a run l pushed it harder than l normally would,.... well no check engine light in any gear when I got back home l checked for any codes and all was clear.

I'm back to being a happy rider,....... I wouldn't have been able to sort it with out your help because I didn't understand the codes l think I have a better understanding of them now. Thanks guys  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 04:49:02 AM by longlast »

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 25 queries.