Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Need Air Horn Help  (Read 3982 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Need Air Horn Help
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 11:29:01 AM »

So between the ProCharger and the Air Ride system the bike has additional hardware added everywhere that a mandated safety item needs to go without any consideration for where that mandated safety item should move to.  Since it's the ProCharger that actually occupied the horn space I'm surprised some alternative mounting isn't supplied by them. 

The only places I've ever seen horns mounted (electric or air) that you've not already filled apparently are:

1) inside the fairing
2) beneath the tour pak
3 between the front frame rails

Maybe you could also lose the rear fender filler strips and mount on the rear frame or saddlebag mount brackets in the rear?

There's just not that much real estate to work with.  You know the spaces available as well as anyone else here.  Maybe just keep a canned air horn in your pocket and pull that sucker out whenever you need it  :drummer: ?

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 11:38:35 AM »

Come on twolane, no poking the bear! LOL The stock horn is still there and it works but they are worthless especially to me as much noise as my bike makes. And there are one or two cheap versions that might fit in that spot if I made a bracket. But since I now have a tank was just testing the waters to see if anyone else had been down this road. Between the frame rails might work if I can find a good horn. I'm wondering if I need one that has a cover that fits in or over the trumpet to keep water and dirt out. Maybe a duck to sit on the bars and quack.

BigLew

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 11:48:07 AM »

Come on twolane, no poking the bear! LOL The stock horn is still there and it works but they are worthless especially to me as much noise as my bike makes. And there are one or two cheap versions that might fit in that spot if I made a bracket. But since I now have a tank was just testing the waters to see if anyone else had been down this road. Between the frame rails might work if I can find a good horn. I'm wondering if I need one that has a cover that fits in or over the trumpet to keep water and dirt out. Maybe a duck to sit on the bars and quack.

BigLew

I knew an EGlide that had a trumpet air horn mounted up front that way.  It was a pre-09 bike so the old frame.  The fab for the mounting was simple.  Probably too simple actually.  The guy just used some vinyl coated plumber's strap.  Looped the trumpet at one end and used a couple of tapped holes to mount the tape at the other and looped the frame tubes on each side.  It was actually really solid and worked well.  He painted the trumpet black.  It was a black bike and you really never noticed the thing was mounted up there unless you actually looked for it.

He left the trumpet part pointed down so crap wouldn't settle in it.  To my knowledge in the few years I knew that bike it never gave him a problem.

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 11:50:58 AM »

I have the Rivco air horns on mine, I made a bracket so they pointed down in the stock location when I added the wards works fans. I removed the end covers due to interference with the primary and haven't had any issues with debris getting in them. Rivco "used" to make a horn kit (universal) that mounted to the frame upright below the neck. You could supply the horn off a relay from the tank if you didn't want to mount the compressor. Or you might be able to mount a mini beast or trumpet horn between the bike and saddle bags.
Smkblwr
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 12:08:59 PM »

Much to consider

BigLew

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 12:17:08 PM »

BJ's Air Horns on Ol' Maudie.  Gonna' get a set for Maybelle in the near future.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 12:26:35 PM »

I love them Hub just will not work for me with the blower there.

BigLew

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 12:36:40 PM »

I love them Hub just will not work for me with the blower there.

BigLew

I forgot about that!  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 12:47:52 PM »

The new tune working any better for you?

BigLew

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 11:57:08 AM »

Had a set of Train horns on my house boat but they were close to 3 1/2 feet long and ran off CO2. Probably would push the bike backwards.  Loud as Hell though you could hear them all over Lake Cumberland.

A buddy of mine has a train horn on his truck. It's A LOT of fun!!!!
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 12:08:11 PM »

The new tune working any better for you?

BigLew

Yeah.  I haven't stretched her legs to the max yet, but the ping is gone.  Ain't had time to ride any, as I've been too busy trying to manufacture some business.  It's tough out there!  Got to keep her above 3000RPM, and it's fine.  Also got some Octane Accelerator, but don't need to use it constantly.  Probably will, though.  Can't help it!  Later--HUBBARD 

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 12:51:13 PM »

Yeah.  I haven't stretched her legs to the max yet, but the ping is gone.  Ain't had time to ride any, as I've been too busy trying to manufacture some business.  It's tough out there!  Got to keep her above 3000RPM, and it's fine.  Also got some Octane Accelerator, but don't need to use it constantly.  Probably will, though.  Can't help it!  Later--HUBBARD
Cool lets get together as we talked about and do brunch or lunch somewhere between the 2 of us. I'm in Greensboro,NC
BigLew

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 01:05:25 PM »

Cool lets get together as we talked about and do brunch or lunch somewhere between the 2 of us. I'm in Greensboro,NC
BigLew

Yeah, we'll do that some time.  Callin' for rain up here this weekend.  Later--HUBBARD
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 25 queries.