Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 CVO Blown Motor  (Read 2031 times)

Jrarrat

2014 CVO Blown Motor
« on: November 26, 2016, 05:03:53 PM »

I have a 2014 CVO ultra with 38000 miles and had an exhaust valve get stuck and take out a number of things, when they opened up the motor they said it looked like it was run low on oil for an extended time due to all the worn parts. They replaced lifters, adjustable push rods, oil pump, added a second oil bypass valve and tensioners, with better parts and CNC heads. Now the oil pressure is 18 at idle and 59 running down the road. After 100 miles or so it blew the seal on the oil filter on startup, they thought it was just a bad gasket so a new filter was installed and the test ride was 28 miles with no problems but when I went to go home for the night it blew again within a block. Any thoughts? The shop has done this build many times prior and said it hasn’t had any problems.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Re: 2014 CVO Blown Motor
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 08:28:35 PM »

Maybe a sticking presure relief valve?
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 09:41:56 AM »

The first and most obvious thing is the nonstandard pressure relief system they installed.  There is absolutely no need to run 60 psi oil pressure on a Twin Cam engine, which was designed for 30-38 psi at highway speeds btw.  Excessive oil pressure is just as likely to cause problems as it is to actually help anything.  If that new bypass system is sticking closed, that is your likely cause of blown oil filter gaskets.  But don't ignore the basics, like making certain they didn't leave an old gasket stuck to the adapter plate, or the filter is loosening because the adapter is loose.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 07:54:40 AM »

if your blowing out the filter gasket,your probably pushing more than 59#`s .I run 55-58#`s on the road,30 at a idle with no problems.ide check it with a mechanical gauge & defanatly check the valve

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 25 queries.