Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 113 Rebuild cant quiet down the lifters  (Read 5490 times)

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
Re: 113 Rebuild cant quiet down the lifters
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 10:21:56 AM »

I think using the word "Premium" in the same sentence with any HD product is offensive!!!  There is nothing premium about the latest "Bangledesh" concoction of parts thrown together lately while HD relies totally on the their "loyalists" to keep buying the American Dream.
Apparently, sales have started to reflect this, I heard total world sales dropped y 14%. Even the most iliterate redneck can finally get thats he is being used for the HD shareholder/profit scam.
I find it hard to believe that anyone could convince themselves to buy a new HD if they did any research for 5 minutes.  jm2cw  twinotter

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 02:07:21 PM »

The loyalty towards HD is so strong that the subtle improvements each year made by the MOCO they want you to think all is well now with HD. I.E. Rushed more. :nervous:

snowrider13

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 03:44:19 PM »

I'm going to take a different position on this. Some of these common 'known' issues are not so prevalent these days. The tensioners were fixed in  '07(apparently for good) The earlier 110 troubles pretty much don't come up any more except for the lifters. The cranks are holding up much better in performance builds than ever before, just based on observation of forum chatter. I'm not in the biz, so I don't have real data, but the discussions and the anecdotal stories mention "scissoring" a whole lot less these days. The Timken kit is available because people *want it* because:*while you're in there* and *it must be better*, but are you hearing of crank bearing failures?
No. ROD bearings, yes, some, but crank bearings? Not so much.
No question, the lifters are baffling. I don't get why they are so difficult to get right, and why they are able to just trash an entire engine. Maybe we need to install screens in the cam chest!?
Of course, now its cooling system leaks, so I guess we'll start a *new* list.
2013 17,000 mile, well cared for RG CVO. Piston slap .004 + out. Cam, lifters on the way. Valve guide seals toast. All this on a properly tuned and catless  bike with proper service and care. Maybe it was a 2007 left over? :)

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 05:22:32 PM »

thought these are S&S lifters...im running the lifters with the limiters, 35k on them, with no issues  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 10:29:18 AM »

Fastfreddie you are right my lifters are S+S, but had problems with the HD ones as well (bleeding down), As for not hearing much about bad cranks anymore I should hope not, as for mine after only 16,000 miles I had 11 Thou runout on the cam side pinion shaft, the shop that did the work, did say that normally that would be a piece of scrap metal, but as I was unable to afford a new S+S crank, he had a go to see what he could do, well he got it from 11 thou down to 12 ten thousands, along with a S+S crank pin and timken conversion,
I feel a lot more confident that it will hold up.

Ride safe.

WHUFC   COYI

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 08:50:59 AM »

Roller rockers by chance ??  Most do not know that you need to clearance the top lid for that upgrade , valve springs stock ?? Need a bit more info on what you have , and are working with .
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

trippy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2016, 05:40:57 AM »

Correct "roller rockers" but had already clearanced the rocker boxes, but now have a quiet top end now that I have removed the travel limiter rings from the lifters, to such an extent I can now hear the tick from the roller rockers.
Thanks for the advice all

Ride safe.
WHUFC   COYI

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 02:22:18 AM »

Hello Trippy, what is your opinion regarding any improvements regarding your installation of the rocker lockers. My 09 has had a noisey top end since new starting around 2500 to about 3500.  I hesitate to do anything to my bike because it runs great and at freeway speeds is very quiet, but when I am running thru scenic mountain roads between 2nd and 3rd or 3rd and 4th the ticking sound drives me nuts. I you or anyone else has had a dramatic improvement with rocker lockers I would definitely be interested to know. Thanks in advance CAHDBIKER

Have already fitted "rocker lockers"  to stop that, the rocker shafts did have witness marks on them, I find it hard to believe that
a premium manufacturer can make so many poor design errors such as that, and then have the liberty to tell loyal customers that "they all do that", when will this stop, the list is endless, poor cranks, roller bearings instead of timkens (then just to rub it in they produce a kit to put the timken back in the case", poor quality lifters, as a 2007 110 owner also piston slap, oil leaks from head gaskets as I said the list is endless!

Thanks for the comments, Ride safe.

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

trippy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 04:26:49 AM »

Easy to fit,  I did have witness marks on 3 of the 4 rocker support bolts indicating there was movement/contact/ and some noise caused by the rocker support shafts twisting and hitting the bolts, with all the other improvements made during the rebuild of my engine its hard to say if those alone made much difference in the top end noise, educated guess would be "yes" , in any case I think a good idea to fit as it locates the rocker support plate better and makes the valve train more secure and stable.

Ride safe.
WHUFC   COYI

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 09:05:08 AM »

the product does work. However only  if it has a loose fitment on rocker shaft to support..So if that is not the issue how can the product be helpful .
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.