Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does anybody have experience or know anything about TrackR  (Read 1641 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Does anybody have experience or know anything about TrackR
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 12:05:40 PM »

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't remember Bluetooth being good for long range communication.  No where in the information on their website do I see a straightforward answer to the range question.  Yes, if someone always misplaces his keys at home, one of these things attached to the key ring might help locate the keys quickly.  I'm not so sure this would replace a real tracking device and service for a vehicle however.  I think I'd need a lot more detailed information than what is available on their website before I'd consider it.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 12:16:21 PM »

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't remember Bluetooth being good for long range communication.  No where in the information on their website do I see a straightforward answer to the range question.  Yes, if someone always misplaces his keys at home, one of these things attached to the key ring might help locate the keys quickly.  I'm not so sure this would replace a real tracking device and service for a vehicle however.  I think I'd need a lot more detailed information than what is available on their website before I'd consider it.

JMHO - Jerry

Depending on the bluetooth standard (we're all the way up to 4.0 now!) a bluetooth piconet is still measured in tens or hundreds of feet.  Unless you lose your bike close by on your own street you're not going to track it too far via bluetooth.

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 12:19:10 PM »

Its not *your* bluetooth they use.

"When another user of the TrackR app comes within 100ft range of your lost item, you will receive a GPS update of where your item is."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 12:21:32 PM »

"When another user of the TrackR app comes within 100ft range of your lost item, you will receive a GPS update of where your item is."

So you're reliant on the combination of short range bluetooth coverage and the spotty coverage provided by coincidentally passing next to someone else who just happens to be using the same minimally known system?  I'm still not feeling the warm-fuzzies-of-ultimate-safety.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 12:32:20 PM »

So we're relying on the bluetooth of the thief and his croonies?  :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 12:36:25 PM »

As I understand it now JC this system would work with amazing efficacy if the thief was also a user of the same system and had the APP installed on his phone, he had a good battery charge on his phone, had his phone on and had its bluetooth function turned on.  In that case this would be a kick-ass system.  :coolblue:

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 01:06:18 PM »

Sounds like another product called Tile.  Fine for lost keys or whatever around the house, but I would want something connected to a satellite to track anything valuable.

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 02:34:54 PM »

Yeah it seems their marketing guys left that part out.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 02:40:52 PM »

spotty coverage provided by coincidentally passing next to someone else who just happens to be using the same minimally known system?  I'm still not feeling the warm-fuzzies-of-ultimate-safety.

and not just the same minimally known system, but that has to be further filtered down to someone using the app as well.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 03:05:14 PM »

and not just the same minimally known system, but that has to be further filtered down to someone using the app as well.
I didn't click on the app here to review it.   But as someone else has already mentioned, it sounds like a somewhat similar deal to (tile) another app.  Tile is a small little square deal that you can hang on your key chain or throw in your luggage or purse, etc.
It gets "married" to your smart phone and it has a small watch battery in it.  If you miss place your smart phone,  you can push the button on the "tile" cube and it will ring your phone even if it had been turned off.  Vice versa,  you can use your smart phone to find your keys or purse or maybe "track" where your suitcase may be via the app on the smart phone.
All this from a (remote distance) scenario,  does indeed rely on "blue tooth" connectivity of (other) users of that app.  Of course,  these apps suggest the app be active at all times so that all users are able to (assist) others.  Party "A" user of that app has no clue nor idea that he/she may be assisting another user when the app does its thing.
I too would want a gps device for more positive and definitive coverage for a stolen bike. :drink:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 03:07:09 PM by moscooter »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 02:43:14 PM »

:thumbsdown:
Sounds like you have as good a chance of the thief giving you a call to tell you where your bike is

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 02:53:34 PM »

I haven't heard of that system, but I have looked at the FIN system, http://www.finditnowusa.com/  . Also there is the SPOT Trace http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128  Just another option if you are worried about your bike disappearing.
Smkblwr
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 03:44:36 PM »

Pick one up, install it on Babes car and don't tell her. Let us know how it works for vehicle tracking.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 21 queries.