Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shaft between shifter and linkage stripped!  (Read 1859 times)

ONE2BAJA

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2023 CVO Road Glide FLTRXSE Dark Platium 121vvt
Shaft between shifter and linkage stripped!
« on: July 20, 2016, 02:12:27 PM »

Was headed to get breakfast and went to put the bike in gear and the shifter went straight to the floor board.  Not a good feeling when you are 400 miles from home in Eureka Springs, Ark and the nearest dealer is an hour away.  Took off the linkage and the splines looked good.   Reset the linkage and thought maybe it had just come loose and needed an extra turn.  To no avail, couldn't get any gear.  Next option was to pull the shaft and inspect what was really going on.  The bottom side of the shaft had some splines that were worn and not holding.  So in my infinite wisdom I would turn it 180 degrees and try it again!  Nope, same results and now I'm getting a little nervous!  Third time was a charm.  Took the shaft out and turned it around.  Put the linkage on the toe shifter splines and put the toe shifter on the linkage splines and just left off the heal shifter.

After gingerly riding to the dealer thru twisty and turns I pulled into Pig Tail HD in Rogers Ark.  Went to the service desk and was greeted by Matt.  Explained my problem and he was typing on the computer.  He came back and said that they just did 6 last week and did not have any shafts in stock and 9 were on backorder!  Oh chit!  I'm 400 miles from home and riding a 2015 CVO SG that is cobbled to get me here.  He went to talk to the sales department and came back and said they can take one off a bike just sitting there.  After 20 minutes they had me in and out and ready to roll.  Hats off to Matt and Pig Tail HD in Rogers Ark. and shame on MoCo.

Obviously the company is well aware of the problem in using inferior metal shaft and has done nothing to rectify the problem!  The inside splines on the toe/heal shifter and linkage showed no signs of wear.  Just a piece of crap shaft!  Keep an eye on your shifter because I had no warning signs that there was a problem!
"The difference between success and failure is the ability to work with a hangover"

Magnut1

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

Re: Shaft between shifter and linkage stripped!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 02:16:04 PM »

My rear shifter fell off going down the road and slid on the highway about 50 yards.  I retrieved it.  Already had appt for spark plug wire repair, where it rubs on the tank in the front.  They replaced the plug wire and the shift lever and gave me a new chrome/rubber peg to boot.  Hats off to Signature Harley

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 02:47:34 PM »

Great dealer Pig Trail Harley.  Glad they got you going.  Many most dealers wouldn't cannibalize a part from another bike for you.  Kudos to them.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 05:30:05 PM »

I know how you feel - 3 weeks ago, 1300 miles from home.
See this thread - near the end... http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=104690.0

Reply #25

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 10:48:30 PM »

This is very good to know for those of us who will be attending the June 2017 Meet in the Middle GTG in Eureka Springs. 
I've heard good things about Pig Trail, but have not personally needed their services before.
With 50+ CVO's coming to that GTG next June, it's a nice feeling to know there will be a good dealer (somewhat) close by in case of trouble.
Glad it ended well for you!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 09:36:31 AM »

This is very good to know for those of us who will be attending the June 2017 Meet in the Middle GTG in Eureka Springs. 
I've heard good things about Pig Trail, but have not personally needed their services before.
With 50+ CVO's coming to that GTG next June, it's a nice feeling to know there will be a good dealer (somewhat) close by in case of trouble.
Glad it ended well for you!
I've had repairs made there twice and both were voltage regulators.  First time just passing through on my '12 cuse7 when regulator started acting up.  Oh yeah I knew the symptoms from when my '06s went out.  The moco seems to have a 'thing' with their voltage regulators as the '12s eventually had a recall.  Anyway, Pig Trail had me in and out in less than an hour and a half. 

Then last year during BBBBQ my '07 cuse2 displayed same symptoms.  Was there bright and early next morning along with several dozen of my new best friends, lol.  Anyway they had it checked out and replaced by noon.

So my experiences there were very positive.   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 10:07:30 AM »

The splines on that shaft often get damaged because the bolts on the shifter have loosened up and allow it  to move.  I had that happen years ago on the last day of a trip.  All the bolts associated with the shifter linkage should be checked on a regular basis.  IMO

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.