Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: thinking bout buying a 01 CVO RG. help please  (Read 1517 times)

Markwade

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

thinking bout buying a 01 CVO RG. help please
« on: August 21, 2016, 12:22:27 PM »

will the 96 ci to 103 stage kits upgrades work on a 95ci?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: thinking bout buying a 01 CVO RG. help please
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 12:41:58 PM »

Yes, it will work but I am not sure it's the kit of which you are thinking.  If memory serves, in 2001, the stock / regular touring bikes used a rubber mounted,  88 inch motor. CVO's had the 95" which was a bore kit and the 103" was a stroker which requires splitting the cases. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:51:46 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 12:56:41 PM »

The 2000 and 2001 CVO Road Glides came stock with the 95" motor.  That's an 88" with a little bigger bore.  Not stroked.  The kits to take a 96" to a 103" won't work.  Only ways to up the displacement on your 95" are the small jump to 98" with just a slightly bigger bore still on the stock crank or splitting the cases and changing cranks.

The old classic Road Glides are great bikes though.  While the displacement and power are down from the newer bikes that engine is as close to bullet proof as any Twin Cam ever was.  By 2001 the cam bearing problems were sorted, it still was a Timken engine and they run great for what they are.  You can also get a lot more power out of the stock 95" without splitting the cases if you're willing to do some work on it.

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 02:25:58 PM »

98" is as big as you can go

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 02:41:05 PM »

That is a cool bike and you can probably pick one up for next to nothing. I think the weakest link on the pre '02 bikes was the swing arm. The stock swing arm is just too thin and flimsy.  i just changed out my buddies swing arm on his '01 because it broke completely through the gussets he had added. He got super lucky that it broke on the drive side, the belt held everything together.... It could have gotten ugly!!! On my '00 I updated the whole rear end to an '02 and later. Swing arm, rear axle, pivot shaft (reamed transmission case) rear brake, etc. you can pick up the parts for cheap on eBay.

MLCRISIS

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 04:04:59 PM »

The previous owner of my 01 installed the zippers 107 muscle kit (split the cases etc) and replaced the ecm with the thunder max. It's a strong running old bike, he did spend a ton of money on it though.

Markwade

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 05:39:40 PM »

Thanks for the helpful info. Its a beauty. Probably be expensive to get a lot more performance out of it. May buy it anyways.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 07:26:46 PM »

Thanks for the helpful info. Its a beauty. Probably be expensive to get a lot more performance out of it. May buy it anyways.

Not necessarily (on the "expensive" part).  Expensive is a relative term of course.

Just a different set of cams can make a surprising difference in those bikes.  Set of cams and some good head work can really wake them up.  Honestly you can't build them too damn far or you'll have more engine than the Marelli ignition system can tune for anyway.  There are ways around that too though.  In fact if you're thinking that way send me a PM.  I've got one such option setting in a parts cabinet drawing dust right now.  Works well and I can make you a deal.

Plus, if you ever need any spare painted parts Chip (another user here) has hundreds and hundreds of spare blue pieces!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 07:33:08 PM »

That is a cool bike and you can probably pick one up for next to nothing. I think the weakest link on the pre '02 bikes was the swing arm. The stock swing arm is just too thin and flimsy.  i just changed out my buddies swing arm on his '01 because it broke completely through the gussets he had added. He got super lucky that it broke on the drive side, the belt held everything together.... It could have gotten ugly!!! On my '00 I updated the whole rear end to an '02 and later. Swing arm, rear axle, pivot shaft (reamed transmission case) rear brake, etc. you can pick up the parts for cheap on eBay.

That rear swingarm thing can be a real question mark.  You've even got options on that rear shaft that Fast380 mentioned though.

It's almost a bolt on upgrade when doing as he describes and boring/honing the tranny case for the larger pivot shaft on the newer bikes.  That's a tedious and bad-word-causing-chore though and if messed up costs you a transmission case and a LOT more work (I've never screwed that up but know a guy who did).

A company called Sta-Bo makes a bushing set that both enhances the connection of frame to swingarm and lets you keep the original pivot shaft.  There's also another company that has a different type of bushing set that accomplishes the same thing whose name I now forget.  With those options it really is a Saturday afternoon bolt on upgrade with some really inexpensive eBay parts to go to a much improved and easier to maintain swingarm and axle.

Page created in 3.611 seconds with 25 queries.