Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: STURGIS 2016  (Read 4041 times)

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
STURGIS 2016
« on: August 15, 2016, 12:40:40 PM »

My trip to Sturgis was a success! 2,877 miles round trip. We dodged rain all week in the area, got caught a couple of times. I had a great visit with friend and fellow CVO member msemersky, and spent a couple of hours with kiro, 2k and cambo. I'm sure they will chime in here with the adventure they had!

Some observations this year:

The massive Harley complex did not mention the new engines that are apparently coming. Historically Sturgis was the place to show off the latest and greatest, but not this year.

Indian, Victory, and even Ducati had some very nice set ups to check out their products. Also, there were A LOT of Indians on the roads. Harley should definitely be feeling the pressure.

Attendance was WAY down, many vendors said business was down 50% or more, and souvenirs were half price by Wednesday, even at Harley dealers!!!

The police was EVERYWHERE!!! I saw cops all over the Black Hills and Park Rangers in Custer, on the Needles and Iron Mountain roads, and police in every little town. Deadwood had as heavy of a police presence as in town Sturgis. Not that it's a bad thing, but definitely a lot more than previous years.

The new Full Throttle Saloon will be one heck of a place in a couple of years. Ballard really doubled down on BIG!!!! He's going after the Buffalo Chip business with both barrels loaded!

The drink and food prices have really got out of hand in town Sturgis. $6 bottle beers, $12 mixed drinks is really ridiculous.

With all that said, Sturgis is always a great time. I met many very nice people from around the US and some from Australia. The road surfaces are the best in the country, and the scenery in the black hills fantastic!
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: STURGIS 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 01:39:08 PM »

Can't resist:         :worthless:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 03:45:51 PM »

The new Full Throttle is absolutely big, but if you plan on staying there be prepared to pony up some $$. I had reserved a spot when it was still the Spoke. Upon arrival I found the previous free stuff to campers now cost $$. Examples are: picnic tables $35 and WI-FI $70. If you rent a golf cart (place is huge, especially if you have a spot in the backside of the campground) $90 per day or 3 days for $150. Beers were $6 but if you stayed there you can have your own supply. I will say that Jesse James Dupree was a decent dude. If you had an issue he took care of it personally and immediately. I did see a Road Glide CVO  (from Louisiana I think) there on Thursday the 11th that appears to be a members as it had both the Chrome Screamin Eagle shift linkage and tour pack script sold on this site. Never did make contact with the owner though, despite attempting to. (Too many people) Overall had a great time and did a lot of riding.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 05:13:28 PM »

Attendance was WAY down, many vendors said business was down 50% or more, and souvenirs were half price by Wednesday, even at Harley dealers!!!

Seems like the year after an anniversary year is always low attendance.  Seems to me to be a pattern anyway...

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 09:16:08 AM »

Seems like the year after an anniversary year is always low attendance.  Seems to me to be a pattern anyway...

Exactly why I went in 2014 and 2016. I have no problem with the smaller crowd, which is still an unbelievable amount of people and bikes. But this year you could get all the way through Sturgis in about 20 minutes!

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 08:48:17 AM »

I made it back yesterday at 4:30 pm JB. Cam and I left Nemo Saturday morning and were in rain most of Monday when we split off - miserable day but good riding all the same. I ran into rain, heavy at times, again yesterday in New Hampshire about 90-miles from home. 5,595.2 miles over 13 days - I got some saddle time with this trip! I have a boatload of images to get through and will start a thread to outline the journey when I get some computer time. And yes - I got the 'I rode mine' patch sewed on my vest - I earned it this trip...

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 06:00:11 AM »

I made it back yesterday at 4:30 pm JB. Cam and I left Nemo Saturday morning and were in rain most of Monday when we split off - miserable day but good riding all the same. I ran into rain, heavy at times, again yesterday in New Hampshire about 90-miles from home. 5,595.2 miles over 13 days - I got some saddle time with this trip! I have a boatload of images to get through and will start a thread to outline the journey when I get some computer time. And yes - I got the 'I rode mine' patch sewed on my vest - I earned it this trip...
Earned it is an understatement Kirk.....BZ. And Cam on that Breakout, no sissy bar or true windshield. We had a great time and I will be in awe of you two buds for a while to come. Who says there's "No Country For Old Men"
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 09:18:28 AM »

Earned it is an understatement Kirk.....BZ. And Cam on that Breakout, no sissy bar or true windshield. We had a great time and I will be in awe of you two buds for a while to come. Who says there's "No Country For Old Men"

You boys are my hero! My measly 3,000 miles on the road couch doesn't compare to the Cam and Kirk journey!!!

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 10:59:02 AM »

Dang..... I was in the Black Hills in early July - round trip 13 days from Ohio was 4202 miles....... your 5,595 miles makes my back hurt..... Well done Sir, well done.
RIDE ON.....

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 01:45:25 PM »

Well not to blow my own horn but I made it to Sturgis a week early this year and left before all of the craziness started. I left Maryland and headed to Sturgis via Alaska. 27 days on the road with 15 of them in some sort of rain covering 11,451 miles total!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 02:09:59 PM »

Well not to blow my own horn but I made it to Sturgis a week early this year and left before all of the craziness started. I left Maryland and headed to Sturgis via Alaska. 27 days on the road with 15 of them in some sort of rain covering 11,451 miles total!!!!!

Wow - that sounds like a neat trip, minus the rain part - well done Dawg!

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 02:39:24 PM »

Wow - that sounds like a neat trip, minus the rain part - well done Dawg!

Thank You Sir!!!!! It was a blast even in the rain!!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 01:17:33 PM »

The last Saturday in town
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 26 queries.