Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alarm  (Read 3349 times)

Gkup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 Street Glide
Alarm
« on: September 05, 2016, 08:18:46 AM »

On my 16 Street Glide the alarm has been going off when I first sit on it before I start it. It's just a short whistle but it is annoying. It there a fix for this.

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
Re: Alarm
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 08:39:04 AM »

Stop sitting and start riding?  :D

Seriously, the chirp indicates the security system can't sense the fob. The sensor is located just under the seat and one can have the fob too close or there can be interference, such as a cell phone. Technically, the sensor can't see the fob if it is within 3" (I guess it goes cross-eyed, I dunno). So if my fob is in my pant pocket and inside my thigh, it will usually give the warning chirps and set-off the full alarm if I stand the bike up. If I move the fob to the outside of my thigh, it works fine. Alternatively, you can move the fob to a jacket or short pocket, but I prefer the security of my pant pocket.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 12:16:20 PM »

Even though the bike is relatively new, your problem could simply be a weak battery in the fob.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 08:57:12 AM »

As Greg noted, first try replacing the fob battery with a new FRESH battery and see if you notice any difference.  You wouldn't be the first person to have weak fob batteries on a one year old or less bike.  If you still get the same chirp with fresh batteries in the fobs, then you might want to look for the antenna for the security system located under the front of the seat.  It should be zip tied to a bracket and look like the attached diagram.  Try moving it down and/or rearward, as much as the wiring will allow anyway, and see if that makes a difference.  I do not remember hearing about this "fob too close to the antenna" deal on older models, so perhaps they changed the location in production and it now creates a problem.  Just a thought.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Gkup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 Street Glide
FOB
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 08:26:44 AM »

Anyone having issues with their alarm going off briefly when you have the FOB in your pocket. My 12 street glide did this once in a great while but my 16 seems to do it all the time. I tried hold my tongue on the other side of my mouth but that doesn't work either

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 02:21:01 PM »

Yes mine does the same thing and my FOB is attached to my right side belt loop.

Mr Fitzu

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 11:48:54 PM »

I need to figure out how to stop the chirp before I get fine.  Every morning when I leave (4:30)am. Chirp
And I changed the battery

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 08:58:28 AM »

Has anyone studied the literature from Harley very closely to see if perhaps this chirp is programmed into the system to notify the rider the fob has been recognized and the security system disarmed?  Since this seems to be happening with many people, it starts to make me wonder.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 09:14:26 AM »

Has anyone studied the literature from Harley very closely to see if perhaps this chirp is programmed into the system to notify the rider the fob has been recognized and the security system disarmed?  Since this seems to be happening with many people, it starts to make me wonder.

Jerry

I actually read my entire owners manual and it does say the alarm will chirp when the alarm is activated, ie shutting the bike off. It also states the alarm will chirp when the alarm is deactivated as well.

"In chirp mode, the siren sounds two chirps when arming, and a single chirp when disarming." This is from my 13 CVO Ultra manual

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 11:55:29 AM »

I actually read my entire owners manual and it does say the alarm will chirp when the alarm is activated, ie shutting the bike off. It also states the alarm will chirp when the alarm is deactivated as well.

"In chirp mode, the siren sounds two chirps when arming, and a single chirp when disarming." This is from my 13 CVO Ultra manual

Thanks Chief.  I thought I remembered someone asking about how to set the system for a "chirpless" mode a long time ago, but I don't trust the old memory as much these days as I used to.  So now the folks who don't like the chirp need to do some more studying to figure out how to turn the chirp off.  I'll bet the 2014 and later CAN bus bikes have a setting somewhere to do that.

Jerry

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 12:01:40 PM »

Mine only chirps with one of the fobs.......the other does not chirp. I'm thinking I should change the battery before I need to 're-learn' the sequence of button pushing to get it started when away from home.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 02:20:07 PM »

Mine only chirps with one of the fobs.......the other does not chirp. I'm thinking I should change the battery before I need to 're-learn' the sequence of button pushing to get it started when away from home.

I need to do this as well. On my 13 I changed the secret code but for the life of me I do not remember it! I have not changed the factory setting yet on the 16. I need to get the book out and do that. Need to copy the part of the book where it shows how to use the manual code as well and put that somewhere on the bike

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 07:06:48 PM »

Thanks Chief.  I thought I remembered someone asking about how to set the system for a "chirpless" mode a long time ago, but I don't trust the old memory as much these days as I used to.  So now the folks who don't like the chirp need to do some more studying to figure out how to turn the chirp off.  I'll bet the 2014 and later CAN bus bikes have a setting somewhere to do that.

Jerry
You're correct. I actually had to turn it on one either my 11 or my 15. I can't remember which. I happen to like hearing it.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 07:31:58 PM »

Jerry
You're correct. I actually had to turn it on one either my 11 or my 15. I can't remember which. I happen to like hearing it.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 12:39:06 AM »

I think Gkup is saying his alarm is going off momentarily, as compared to the security system chirping when arming/disarming. 

Both our 15's also randomly do this as well when I push them out of the garage. Done this since new.  Gives one good and LOUD screech. Tried every location possible for the fob and even tried moving the bike in accessory mode and then the RUN switch on (headlights, Boombox all on AND alarm chirp to indicate deactivation).  You guessed it, every 9 or 10 times I pushed the bikes out it would scream a short blast.  I should mention if the bike is started and running have never had the alarm go off.

For those wanting to switch to chirpless, or to chirp mode here is what the manual says.  Note: read the following before you start as there are some actions that happen very quickly.

1 - With fob present, set the OFF/RUN switch to RUN

2- When the security lamp turns off, set the OFF/RUN switch to OFF

3- When the security lamp turns off (but before the turn signals flash twice), immediately set the OFF/RUN switch to RUN

4- When the security lamp turns off, immediately set the OFF/RUN switch to OFF.

5- When the security lamp turns off (but before the turn signals flash twice), immediately set the OFF/RUN switch to RUN. The system changes mode.  The siren chirps or remains silent accordingly.
West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 25 queries.