Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I Know This Is Bit Off Topic, But....  (Read 2880 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
I Know This Is Bit Off Topic, But....
« on: October 16, 2016, 05:58:40 PM »

What bikes use a bolt on rear wheel?  I know that starting in around 2000 or so, the Goldwing had a bolt on rear wheel.  I know lots of bigger bikes have driveshaft rear drives, but they still use a through axle and spline to hold them on.

I'm still toying with my next project and so far I've gone about four different ways for a rear suspension setup.

I have a complete Goldwing GL1800 rear swing arm with adjustable hydraulic shock, rotor, caliper, rear 16"x5.5" rear wheel and driveshaft, but getting this offset drive connected forward to a Miata transmission is proving out to be a rear bear.

I also have a complete rear Harley wheel, 16"x5.5" with 1" axle, Cush drive, rotor and caliper.  I can easily make up my rear swing arm, but I still need to have a 90 degree gearbox to mount a sprocket to and then run forward to the Miata trans.  This layout keeps the forward driveshaft inline with the trans and would require a lot less fudging to make work.

I also have a final drive off a GL1800 and a second driveshaft.  The way the GL1800 has their final drive stub input shaft setup, this could be a bit difficult as well.  The GL1800 is a 2.75:1 ratio so I'm looking to end up with around a 1.2:1 belt or chain drive final ratio.

So I guess what I'm looking for is possibly, other than the GL1800 final drive, some other brand of bolt on rear wheel final drive that has a different (read easier) drive coupling for a driveshaft.  I want a bolt on wheel final drive because they are designed to hold the weight of the bike via the final drive assembly.  This means to me that it would easily support a bolt on belt or chain drive sprocket without having any bearing issues.

I know it's now clear as mud. 

If anyone can tell me what bikes in the 1500cc and up range that use a bolt on rear wheel, that would be great and I can then research eBay to see what's available.

If anyone is interested in my reverse trike with a Harley B motor adapted to a Miata manual trans, you can e-mail me and we can discuss the project.  I'm always open to other thoughts and ideas.

Sorry for rambling on this fine Sunday morning.  Time to get geared up and ride.  Going to be in the 80's here today, but quite windy.  My BSR doesn't like to ride in strong wind, but she may give in because of the warm day.

Ya'll have a great evening, ya hear...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: I Know This Is Bit Off Topic, But....
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 02:11:41 PM »

OK, nobody has any ideas of cantilevered rear wheel bikes other than the Goldwing and the BMW?

If no one knows about the cantilevered rear wheels, maybe someone can off a 90 degree gearbox that would withstand the torque of the Harley motor with the load of drive sprocket to the rear wheel.

It does not have to be a reducer gearbox as I can play with my ratios with the sprockets.

Any ideas?

This is the new Morgan Three Wheeler.

This is a '30s Morgan Three Wheeler.  I plan on making mine a bit more like this with doors rather and climbing into it.  A Harley "B" motor will be used.  An '06 or older to get the 4-bolt primary flange rather than the new '07 and later bolt pattern.  I can buy the "bell housing" through a Morgan dealer and then make up my own compensator to mate the two together.

Here is the S&S 2L with the Miata 5 speed mated to it.

Same but different view.

Inside driveshaft connected from the trans to their 90 degree gearbox.

Rear view of their 90 degree gearbox mounted with their drive sprocket installed.

Front view of their gearbox mounted.

So if don't do the Goldwing GL1800 complete swing arm assembly, I'll be doing my own swing arm and have to have a 90 degree gearbox for my drive.

Like I said, the Goldwing final drive is stout enough on the output side because it supports the weight of the bike, no worries mounting a sprocket to that.

Here's a picture of just the final drive on the Goldwing.  It has a nice 4-bolt mount on the front that bolts to the swing arm housing, so it should be more than strong enough to mount in the chassis.  It has a 85mm 5-bolt wheel pattern, so making a hub and sprocket mount would not be a big deal.  I can draw up in Cad and then send to our machine shop to have it made up.  There's no oil in the front shaft area, and I do have a drive shaft that slides right onto it that I can modify down to a mounting flange with bearing support.  This would give me something to bolt my main driveshaft to.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please feel free to interject at this point... :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 03:08:43 PM »

Dan, that is quite a project!  Looks like fun.  Will you have done in time for the MITM?
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 06:01:37 PM »

Dan, that is quite a project!  Looks like fun.  Will you have done in time for the MITM?

I highly doubt it, I have to finish my Boardtrack bike before I can invest great sums of money and effort into this.

This is my Boardtrack that I need to finish.

It's been this completed for about three years now... :(  I figure I "really" need to get to work and soon.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 05:21:12 PM »

I highly doubt it, I have to finish my Boardtrack bike before I can invest great sums of money and effort into this.

This is my Boardtrack that I need to finish.

It's been this completed for about three years now... :(  I figure I "really" need to get to work and soon.

That is a really nice bike you got there.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 06:20:40 PM »

have you looked at the  POLARIS SLING SHOT set up ???
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 10:45:50 AM »

have you looked at the  POLARIS SLING SHOT set up ???

Yes, but just really not my cup of tea design wise.  If they put a different body on it, it may appeal to me then.  But I doubt that will happen anytime soon.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 03:40:23 PM »

I was talking about rear swing arm and drive line set up,  haven't seen one but know they use a GM gear box that some how ends up going to a belt drive out back, I know they ain't much for looks but are a hoot to drive. An ol friend who can't ride any longer traded his SG for one and made me take it for a spin
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 09:12:29 AM »

I was talking about rear swing arm and drive line set up,  haven't seen one but know they use a GM gear box that some how ends up going to a belt drive out back, I know they ain't much for looks but are a hoot to drive. An ol friend who can't ride any longer traded his SG for one and made me take it for a spin

They use the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice drive motor trans combo.  It's a 2.4L with a manual 5 speed; same motor I had in my Buick Verano.

They have their own 90 degree gearbox setup running out the back to the rear wheel via a drive belt.  They have a flange on the front for the driveshaft to bolt to just like Morgan does.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 07:59:13 PM »

Well I see it's been a month since you asked, but did you ever look into a BMW final drive unit? I haven't read any problems with the K1600 series drives like the G series had. Single swing arm, bolt on wheel, shaft drive

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 11:25:45 AM »

Well I see it's been a month since you asked, but did you ever look into a BMW final drive unit? I haven't read any problems with the K1600 series drives like the G series had. Single swing arm, bolt on wheel, shaft drive

I've been looking at both BMW and Moto Guzzi rear final drives.  My only thought was that I "may" find something that's a bit more user friendly than the GL1800 final rear drive assy.

I guess at this point I'll keep looking around and maybe I'll find a 90 degree gearbox that's beefy enough to hold up to the belt tension and the input shaft torque pulses.  I would guess that a Boss Hoss would do fine, but man are they huge.

My reverse trike will weigh in at about 1500# loaded and the GL1800 will probably be more than enough to hold that as much of the weight will be on the front end of the trike.  The tires on the Morgan three wheelers break loose very easily so I'll probably not do any damage to whatever I end up using.

Thanks for the follow up though, greatly appreciated.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »

Forgot about the hoss's, they are huge. Keep an update going, looks to be a fun project!

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 25 queries.