Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SE 117 Drop in Noise  (Read 2755 times)

bbsiding

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
SE 117 Drop in Noise
« on: December 24, 2016, 02:42:17 PM »

In June I installed a 117" SE drop in kit into my 11 FLHTCUSE6.  I installed the kit as delivered. I as well installed a PV auto tune  I have Thunderheader.  I took a trip out west in August and the bike had performed flawlessly.  On the return trip at approx. 8K on the new parts I picked up a cold engine tick.  My immediate thoughts were another SE Lifter failing as that was what was supplied with the kit.  The noise quit after a mile or so.  Since then the time required has been getting progressively longer and the noise louder. I have S&S premiums lifters in hand and will change them out shortly.  My concern is that it may not be the lifter.   Is piston slap something I should consider.  Is it a similar noise? Does it shut up after warm up?   Any help would be golden 
2005 SEEG Teal
20011 FLHTCUSE6

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: SE 117 Drop in Noise
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 03:20:43 PM »

In June I installed a 117" SE drop in kit into my 11 FLHTCUSE6.  I installed the kit as delivered. I as well installed a PV auto tune  I have Thunderheader.  I took a trip out west in August and the bike had performed flawlessly.  On the return trip at approx. 8K on the new parts I picked up a cold engine tick.  My immediate thoughts were another SE Lifter failing as that was what was supplied with the kit.  The noise quit after a mile or so.  Since then the time required has been getting progressively longer and the noise louder. I have S&S premiums lifters in hand and will change them out shortly.  My concern is that it may not be the lifter.   Is piston slap something I should consider.  Is it a similar noise? Does it shut up after warm up?   Any help would be golden
To the educated ear, piston slap is different than a lifter noise.

In the earlier stages, piston slap will quiet when the engine warms up, in the later stages the noise will remain after the engine is up to operating temp.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 06:10:42 PM »

You have the lifters
put them in
see if the noise goes away

I guess you don't have adjustable pushrods ?

bbsiding

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 06:15:48 PM »

I will get adjustable pushrods  I actually prefer SE tapered ones  a bit pricey but well made (imho)  I suppose the reason for my question was really validating if I should just drop the lifters in and check or tear off the whole top end and look. I know the early chevy LS  motors that used this type had piston slap issues    As well looking to see if piston slap is common on the kits or not.  I will slide in the new lifters and give it a try first   
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 06:17:24 PM by bbsiding »
2005 SEEG Teal
20011 FLHTCUSE6

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 07:14:48 PM »

Exhaust Leak at the head?
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.