Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: May have found Google maps answer!!!  (Read 1507 times)

Glenncarp

May have found Google maps answer!!!
« on: July 25, 2017, 01:26:11 PM »

Here we go again! I know many don't understand my am obsession with Google maps, however to me it's the easiest to do searches on, you can't search for "breweries nearby"  or "local Amtrak station" using any of the other map planning programs mentioned here. This is why I prefer Google maps over everything else.

After reading MANY threads on the web I found this:

http://gpx.cgtk.co.uk/QSUfF

I planned a complex route and converted it and saved it as both a Garmin and a generic file. When I loaded both into the Harley, the Garmin file took me from point A to point B without using the route I planned. The generic route took the exact route I planned. I reviewed the route and it matched exactly what I planned on Google. Gonna play with it some more and actually take it out on a ride around my neighborhood to make sure there's no hiccups. Only issue I see is that it doesn't name the start and end points it names them point A and point B but hell, that's a tiny issue.

I think I found the solution to my problem!

Glenncarp

Re: May have found Google maps answer!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 01:32:36 PM »

Here we go again! I know many don't understand my am obsession with Google maps, however to me it's the easiest to do searches on, you can't search for "breweries nearby"  or "local Amtrak station" using any of the other map planning programs mentioned here. This is why I prefer Google maps over everything else.

I planned a complex route and converted it and saved it as both a Garmin and a generic file. When I loaded both into the Harley, the Garmin file took me from point A to point B without using the route I planned. The generic route took the exact route I planned. I reviewed the route and it matched exactly what I planned on Google. Gonna play with it some more and actually take it out on a ride around my neighborhood to make sure there's no hiccups. Only issue I see is that it doesn't name the start and end points it names them point A and point B but hell, that's a tiny issue.

Please disregard this post :(, it does not actually use Google maps, I guess I am still in search for a program that can effectively convert a Google maps file into a usable GPX file. Sorry for wasting your time I got excited for I realized that this program is no different than the others

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 01:36:40 PM »

As Daniel Boone once said, "I have never been lost. I was once
bewildering for 3 days but I have never been lost."

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 09:41:49 PM »

I was using that for a while but now I use this:

https://www.myrouteapp.com/routelab

Much easier to plan and convert the files to the "old" GPX 1.0 files that most Garmin units use. I've used it to plan both short local loops and long distance rides without any issues and it's free. As far as finding things along the route I haven't had to many issues, you do need to zoom way in to get the local attraction to show up on the map - or you can "upgrade" to the GOLD membership for 30 something bucks a year and it looks like you'll get the features you desire - like being able to search for pubs, bars, restaurants, fast food etc...  I have not upgraded thus far

For me the myrouteapp works great, and I don't mind using google to find a point of interest and then plugging the address into the app. It's not really all that much more effort to do it that way then transfer the route to my Garmin. JMHO of course..

Screen shot below showing the "zoomed in view" of an upcoming journey where I can see CARSONS BREWERY to the east of my planned route through Evansville IN. If I chose to add it as a waypoint it's super easy to do so
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:45:02 PM by phato1 »
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.