Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front fender damaged - Replacement painted skin through insurance...  (Read 2139 times)

andy.blumberg73

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5 110th Anniversary Edition

Well, I came out from work this afternoon to the parking lot and found the front fender of my 2013 Diamond Dust and Obsidian 110th Anniversary FLHRSE5 bent in.  The fender was deformed to the point of touching the front rubber.  I was able to pull it back into shape somewhat.  The paint has a minor scuff on the nose.  The major damage is that the paint if cracked along the lower edge of the sheet metal.  Bike was not knocked over.  Alarm was not/did not go off that I know of.....

I have already called my insurance company; of course they are claiming it is covered under collision (higher deductible) and not comprehensive.  They said go through the dealer for the repair.  I have already called the dealer; their "collision/insurance write-up" guy works on Mondays.  They said they will go through the bike and make sure nothing else was damaged as well.  I will have to wait and see how this goes.....

So, what is the process like to get replacement CVO matching paint skins?

Safe riding everyone!
Andy
'00 FXD (custom paint by Bad Dad https://www.baddad.com/)
'13 FLHRSE5 (Diamond Dust and Obsidian)

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2

When I had to have a fender replaced they ordered it and when it came in they changed it out and made me surrender the old one. They said it was a protected part and had to be sent back.
T-MAN 117 kit

bigC

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE gone
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE sold

I had a front fender replaced at the dealers expense. They ordered a new fender for me, replaced it when it came in. I even got to keep the old fender. Just like ordering any other part, no issues.
Maggie Valley 2016     MITM ES 2017   WV GTG 2018 
Maggie valley 2017     MITM ES 2018   WV GTG 2021
Maggie Valley 2018     MITM ES 2019   OH GTG 2022
Maggie Valley 2019
Maggie Valley 2022
Maggie Valley 2023

andy.blumberg73

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5 110th Anniversary Edition

Thanks, that makes me feel better.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Part Number  58900004DRI     FENDER FRONT (DIAMOND DUST/OBSIDIAN)   MSRP $1,079.84

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3

Will take a bit to get. Fender will be painted when the outside vendor gets the order for it.

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra

Will you get a better deal on the deductible by claiming it as the fault of the uninsured motorist. It's still collision damage but you might get a lower deductible. And, I'm of course just joking, but maybe you can threaten to shoot everyone and get someone to rat on the guilty person. Lol.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE

This is a collision loss, regardless of whether it was your fault or not. Someone hitting your bike is in no way related to comprehensive.
But dealer will just order a new fender, contact you when it comes in and you will go in for installation. I worked alot of these same claims. Easy/Peasy. You may be asked to sign a "direction to pay" by the dealer & or the insurance company. This will allow the insurance company to pay the shop direct for the total bill including any hidden or overlooked damage when initially inspected, that way you will only pay your deductible when you pickup the bike and insurance company will catch the rest.
Some folks don't want to sign the DOP, never did understand why but if you are asked to and choose not to then be prepared to pay the full bill at the end of repairs and then adjustor will send you a check after you get the bill to him and he verifies repairs were completed. This may result in a delay, some companies require their adjustors to go by and inspect the parts that were replaced. So be prepared for that scenario as well.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member

This is a collision but you may be able to go through as a hit and run. Did you get a police report?  If so that may be an option. I had that happen on a car of mine and the deductible was much less.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE

RON, Collision is Collision, If hit & run was a option EVERYONE would use it for anything they thought nobody saw them do (like backing into a post or similar), they would just call the agent and say someone hit and ran my car???? I am licensed in several states for auto and there is nothing in any state that I have a license to operate in that includes or makes any allowable adjustment in deductible for Hit & Run. Now there are several companies with reduced deductible based on loss ratio. Maybe that was the justification in your reduced deductible? But declining deductible is something you pay extra for when you bought the policy, it is not free, like one company fails to tell you in there tv ad.
Just look on your policy declaration page, it lists all your coverage and the associated deductible. This is required by statute on all policy's. Everyone should check it out, also some companies (USAA is one) have the policies in simple English and they totally explain what a collision loss/comprehensive etc loss is.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Front fender damaged - Replacement painted skin through insurance...
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 08:12:36 AM »

I agree this is a collision. I am simply saying that with my insurance the deductible is different when there is a hot and run issue. I also had a police report thus avoiding the simple I backed into a pole so I will call it a hit and run.  I bet it falls under the uninsured motorist insurance which has a much lower deductible. 

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.