Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone Tried Something Like This?  (Read 1298 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Anyone Tried Something Like This?
« on: April 30, 2017, 10:36:44 AM »

I've been looking over the years of ways to transport my bike different places because when the wife is with me, she cannot ride very long without stopping and walking around and this takes plenty of time out of the riding day.

Eureka Springs will be a test for her and we'll see how well she holds up on the ride down.

I saw this while searching for hidden hitches on eBay and wondered how this would work.  They do car dollys so why not?

I'm sure they way they have the front wheel chocked into the hitch that it's plenty secure, just didn't know how it would effect the trans etc.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
Re: Anyone Tried Something Like This?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 11:36:12 AM »

I would think you would have to remove the drive belt when towing any distance. JMHO!
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 06:14:28 PM »

Less than 40 days to NMITM...  :2vrolijk_21:  OH CAN HARDLY WAIT!

In the OLD days you could tow anything that had a manual transmission; even some automatics with the rear pumps could be towed.

I'm thinking that with the trans main shaft being turned by the front belt sprocket that "maybe" oil will be splashed about inside the trans and allowing it to be towed.

"IF" bikes could not be towed for long distances, I would think that the market for this motorcycle dolly setup would be nonexistent. 

For the price it looks quite good.  @ $169.95 and free shipping.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 06:28:31 PM »

Of course you can let her drive there and you ride.   ;)
I have done that before going to Maggie Valley.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 06:38:01 PM »

I did tow a Jap bike once with a similar device. It was O.K. Tie-down was problem on the bike I towed, seems this Road King is tied to the handlebars which would not be possible on bike with fairing. We did have a hard time getting the bike secure and I think this is very important.
I have a buddy who recently bought a Aluma Single bike aluminum trailer. It was less than $2000, has nice looking alloy wheels and came with 6 secure tie-down points and a front tread plate shield to protect the bike. I think this is a much better way to tow, trailer can be moved around easily by hand when empty and will never rust. I also think if you take any kind of care of it you will be able to re-coup most of your investment when you want to sell it. IMHO.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 06:57:28 PM »

not trying to be negative. i do not think i would tow my bike in that manner. a trailer would be worth it to me. not saying it will not work.i would feel a whole better about my bike sitting on trailer and not being the trailer.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 06:59:07 PM »

That close up behind your tow vehicles rear wheels, I'd be concerned that the bike would get sand blasted from any road particles/debris coming up off of the tires.  It happens to cars being towed by motorhomes, happens to the front of 5th wheel trailers being pulled by pickups, etc.

U-Haul now has a nice motorcycle trailer, load it by yourself, that rents for $15 a day here in San Diego.  I would think it'd be much cheaper in other states.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 10:26:48 PM »

Debris would be a concern but not my only concern.  It's not stable in the rear as something with two wheels is.  Hit a pothole in the middle of the road that never effects the car but could start the bike hopping.  If it doesn't hop straight I don't want to consider at all what bad things might happen.  Too many other bad things that might happen for me to ever consider towing this way.  Gives me the heebee-jeebies (sic?) just thinking about it.

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 25 queries.