Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Primary chain auto adjuster Q.  (Read 2705 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Primary chain auto adjuster Q.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »

By the 1/8" free play I'm guessing that's too tight. I have been experiencing some starter grinding at times. By the chain being too tight apparently this could be a cause of an over tighten chain.  I don't have specs but when I run the motor it set it's self and that's the free play l got.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 07:30:13 PM »

::)
Yup,  just wanted to understand the "shrinking" comment.  But to be more specific,  I would agree that as the whole thing heats up, the chain gets tighter............but I'm not buying into the statement that the "distance between the sprockets increases"  :confused5:  Those sprockets may "grow" as they heat up,  thus creating the tighter chain scenario........but the distance (between) those two sprockets remains unchanged. :drink:

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 09:39:44 PM »

And the wear on the tensioner. Sorry for the sideways pic don't know why.
So I'll find out tomorrow if it's a deeper issue.

How many miles on the Tensioner??

Are you rotating the Chain to check it at its "tightest" spot??

HD Tech told me to check / set the Chain tension at the tightest spot, cold,,, like after setting all night,,,   
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 10:46:06 PM »

How many miles on the Tensioner??

Are you rotating the Chain to check it at its "tightest" spot??

HD Tech told me to check / set the Chain tension at the tightest spot, cold,,, like after setting all night,,,

Got 18,500 on tensioner, that goes for the hole bike.

In my research it was stated that,.....The HD auto tensioner can/ may over tighten the primary chain do to hard acceleration and deceleration then back onto hard acceleration again, that I must admit I'm guilty of playing with some power shifting now and then and some throttle cracking which I can see now that maybe why the tensioner got ratcheted up so tight that there was no free play when I first checked it you could play a D note on it.

I'll be be putting it back together tomorrow and do another start up and see if it will tighten up any more being cold before I button it all up. It's at about 3/8 to 1/2" play on self adjustment now.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 12:21:02 PM »

UPDATE

Bike's all back together went for a test ride and it's all good.  :huepfenjump3: l think l got lucky it wasn't a bigger issue. Resetting the tensioner the noise is gone well l can still hear a bit but nothing like it was. Nope I am well happy.

Thanks for all the info.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.