Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 SERK sound system/amp issue  (Read 745 times)

wyobadger

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WY

• CVO1: 2013 Road King CVO
2013 SERK sound system/amp issue
« on: June 05, 2017, 09:41:52 AM »

Stock sound system on 2013 SERK was cutting out on bumps. Found wire bundle coming out of amp to ipod was shorting. Taped it down in position that allowed function...for about a week. Now it doesn't play ipod at all. There is crackling sound coming out of speakers but no music plays. Dealer wants $500 for replacement amp. Any advice on repair/diagnosis or less expensive aftermarket replacements that would be compatible with the Nano?

I could certainly go without tunes but seems silly to have all those speakers and not use them :-)

craig
<><
wyobadger
<><

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Re: 2013 SERK sound system/amp issue
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 12:33:07 PM »

I would go back to that spot that was shorting, it sounds like that wire may have broken or pulled out of the pin in the connector or something simple like that, before I went to the dealer so they could charge you big money to trace wires or for a new amp when it wasn't necessary.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 12:38:37 PM »

^^What he said.^^

Taping a wire down isn't the same thing as actually fixing the problem.  Before taking it to a dealership that would most likely prefer to sell you a $500 amp versus do a little diagnosis and wire repair, have the wiring from the amp to iPod repaired/replaced.  Btw, you didn't mention if the speakers work with sources other than the iPod.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

pudgeyxj

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: 2013 CVO R/K
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 02:27:25 PM »

Very possible for the terminal to have come out of the connector. I had an led tail signal light go out on my 13 r/k, only to order the $200 (Canadian) light and find out it wasn't the problem. It was the wire/pin had pulled out of the connector. So like the guys above said, I would check all connections before shelling out $500 for the amp, plus the diag, plus plus plus (they always find ways to add to your bill).

Good luck

Paul
2013 CVO RoadKing

wyobadger

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WY

• CVO1: 2013 Road King CVO
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 03:42:44 PM »

Thanks guys! I did check connections and came to the conclusion, by checking each point in the system through process of elimination, that the "short" was under the sealed backing of the amp itself. By manipulating the wire bundle I could cause it to short and then change the angle of the wire bundle relative to the amp and make it work again. Therefore we secured the wire bundle with closed-cell foam and wire ties in that position. Like I said, it worked for a while but not reliably. I suppose I could cut open the amp with an exacto knife and see if the offending wire can be repaired or re-soldered but that's when I got the idea of aftermarket options and thought maybe someone on here had found an alternative to the HD system. No worries though...thanks again for the advice.
wyobadger
<><

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.