Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: How to change my own coolant  (Read 8823 times)

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
Re: How to change my own coolant
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 09:44:52 AM »

The issue with the coolant pump on the Harley as opposed to a car/truck is that the Harley pump is electric and uses a magnetic drive impeller like a small submersible pond or fountain pump.  It is not a direct driven pump like in a car.  Because of this, it is more susceptible to issues due to "gumming" or debris.  A mechanical pump in a car/truck can overcome the resistance of the "gumming" because it is being directly driven by the engine, but an electric magnetic drive pump cannot, and will stop at some point if it gets gummed up. 

So while your DEXCOOL may be fine for your Cadillac or your Buick, it isn't the best thing for the Harley cooling system.  Like anything else, do some research, and run whatever makes you sleep better at night.     
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:31:05 AM by NH Bulldog »
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 10:07:49 AM »

The issue with the coolant pump on the Harley as opposed to a car/truck is that the Harley pump is electric and uses a magnetic drive impeller like a small submersible pond or fountain pump.  It is not a direct driven pump like in a car.  Because of this, it is more susceptible to issues due to "gumming" or debris.  A mechanical pump in a car/truck and overcome the resistance of the "gumming" because it it being directly driven by the engine, but an electric magnetic drive pump cannot, and will stop at some point if it gets gummed up. 

So while your DEXCOOL may be fine for your Cadillac or your Buick, it isn't the best thing for the Harley cooling system.  Like anything else, do some research, and run whatever makes you sleep better at night.    

Exactly. So far I am happy with the change I made. Will I keep the Engine Ice in the bike????? I guess only time will tell. When I return from my trip out west I am going to drain it and look at the coolant. I guess I will make the decision then. So far I am happy with the product.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 07:17:22 PM »

So why is Dexcool so bad in Harleys but OK in cages?  Have it in my 2006 Buick Rainier and changed it out at 100k just because.  Never ever had any problems.  So what's up with it in Harleys?
I used to see a lot of issues with plugging up radiators and heater cores along with a lot of intake manifold gaskets leaking (suspect the Dexcool)

2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 25 queries.