Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drive belt tension Q.  (Read 1470 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Drive belt tension Q.
« on: July 02, 2017, 10:56:16 PM »

I just got myself the 10 ft lb belt tension checking tool for my 07 Ultra.
On checking the tension the belt lifts to the 7th notch in the little tension Window at the 10 ft lb reading on the tool.
Would I be correct that each notch is a 1/8" on the scale?
I believe the tension is at the top of it's tension point 7/8" on the window scale and should be adjusted?

This is the first time I'll be doing this adjustment so I thought I'd ask for some experienced advice where the best point the tension should be in relation to belt wear and stretching.

I'm thinking bringing it down to 1/2" or should I go to the 3/8" mark?
My concern is, would the lower 3/8" setting cause premature wear/ stretching of the belt.
I not familiar on how these belts handle being re-tightened that have some "K" on them.

Also what sort of mileage should the belt be replaced before it could break even if it looks good?
One other thing, should the weight of the bike be on the wheel when setting the tension?

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:23:13 PM by longlast »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Drive belt tension Q.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 12:30:18 PM »

The belts don't really stretch much at all, the main reason they become looser over time is due to wear of the teeth on both the belt and the sprockets.  When and if you finally need to change the belt, you will likely need to also change the sprockets.  At least check them carefully for worn teeth.  I don't know of any official recommended number of miles where you should automatically replace a drive belt.  Just inspect it on a regular basis and replace it when you find checking or cracking at the base of the teeth, damaged teeth, or damage to the main body of the belt, say from a sharp rock or other debris.  I've heard of more than a few people running the original belts 100,000 miles or more.

See the attachment for the answer to your question about how to position the bike for the test.  They changed the approved method back in 2007 to say it was OK to check it either with the bike upright or on the jiffy stand, and changed the tension spec.  They only give you a tiny range, from 3/8" to 7/16".  I wouldn't run it any looser, since a loose belt is more likely to fail.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 10:19:36 PM »

The belts don't really stretch much at all, the main reason they become looser over time is due to wear of the teeth on both the belt and the sprockets.  When and if you finally need to change the belt, you will likely need to also change the sprockets.  At least check them carefully for worn teeth.  I don't know of any official recommended number of miles where you should automatically replace a drive belt.  Just inspect it on a regular basis and replace it when you find checking or cracking at the base of the teeth, damaged teeth, or damage to the main body of the belt, say from a sharp rock or other debris.  I've heard of more than a few people running the original belts 100,000 miles or more.

See the attachment for the answer to your question about how to position the bike for the test.  They changed the approved method back in 2007 to say it was OK to check it either with the bike upright or on the jiffy stand, and changed the tension spec.  They only give you a tiny range, from 3/8" to 7/16".  I wouldn't run it any looser, since a loose belt is more likely to fail.

Jerry

'Have around 60k miles on the '09,,, had it on the jack the other day and took a good look at the Belt and Rear Pulley, all looked (and felt) as new,,, I was kinda surprised at how good of shape they are in,,, no damage or degradation whatsoever...

I agree with Jerry,,, "I wouldn't run it any looser, since a loose belt is more likely to fail."

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 11:34:36 AM »

Thanks guys for the input,
 I haven't done anything to it as yet I've been checking things over and​ the it all looks good as far as any wear goes but I'm sure the belt is way too loose.
In the pic is how much belt deflection there is in the belt checking window (pic 1).
Would I be correct that each notch reppisence 1/16" in and the deflection on mine should be in the 3/8"  to 7/16" in area

(Pic 2) is this where I'm thinking the belt should be on a 10 ft lb setting?

I'm doing this because I've had 4 different shops have the rear wheel off when I had rubber issues and I just took it for granted the belt tension would be good.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 11:35:42 AM »

Pic 2)  should the belt be here? According to the notches is about 3/8"
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:40:02 AM by longlast »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 07:33:43 PM »

Thanks for the helping hand :2vrolijk_21: Got it all sorted today. It turned out the belt was 3/16"  to loose.
Cheers :drink: :drink:

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 25 queries.