Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Angled Valve Stems  (Read 2317 times)

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Angled Valve Stems
« on: June 20, 2017, 09:02:40 AM »

Hello All, I will be installing new tires shortly and was hoping to get a recommendation regarding replacing my stock valve stems with some of the angled ones I have seen. My bike is an 09 SEUC. I am looking for chrome ones or something very similar.  The HD dealer told me they only have angled valve stems for the latest models . Thanks in advance.  CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

HoustonAgingDad

• I ride a '10 FLHTCUI
    • TX

Re: Angled Valve Stems
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:29:50 AM »

why this is not standard on every friggin motorcycle in the world I don't know!  I have yet to find an air nozzle that easily fits on a straight valve stem.  :2vrolijk_21:

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:39:41 PM »

Lots of places sell angled valve stems. I replaced a set on a 04 E/G recently, easy peasy. I actually bought a set from Drag Specialties. The OE Harley ones from a 15 Touring bike should work but I assume the later bikes with TPMS have the stem as part of the sensor. The 15's didn't have sensors. But the DS units worked great, much easier to air up now.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 10:47:52 PM »

why this is not standard on every friggin motorcycle in the world I don't know!  I have yet to find an air nozzle that easily fits on a straight valve stem.  :2vrolijk_21:
agreed!!! :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 08:52:07 AM »

Lots of places sell angled valve stems. I replaced a set on a 04 E/G recently, easy peasy. I actually bought a set from Drag Specialties. The OE Harley ones from a 15 Touring bike should work but I assume the later bikes with TPMS have the stem as part of the sensor. The 15's didn't have sensors. But the DS units worked great, much easier to air up now.

I don't remember anyone actually saying they used the 2015 stem on a regular rim successfully, but assuming the rim surface is flat enough at the hole for the stem I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 02:17:40 PM »

Hello All, I will be installing new tires shortly and was hoping to get a recommendation regarding replacing my stock valve stems with some of the angled ones I have seen. My bike is an 09 SEUC. I am looking for chrome ones or something very similar.  The HD dealer told me they only have angled valve stems for the latest models . Thanks in advance.  CAHDBIKER

:-\  I understand (having owned an '09 SEUC),  the desire for easier access to adding/checking air pressure especially in the rear tire/wheel.  Certainly angled valve stems would make it easier...........However, an alternative thought is to buy the FOBO setup.  These are screw on TPMS units that via your smart phone give you instant info as to the current pressure in your tires.  This can keep you from pulling off saddle bags, and getting down and dirty to access the stem via a tire gauge.

I currently have a set on my '14 SG Special and love 'em.  Battery life is fairly good and changing out a battery is quickly done.  But...............maintaining straight valve stems versus angled valve stems is recommended so as to avoid any possible conflict with the larger stem head and (clearance) from any adjacent parts. ;D

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 02:43:21 PM »

:-\  I understand (having owned an '09 SEUC),  the desire for easier access to adding/checking air pressure especially in the rear tire/wheel.  Certainly angled valve stems would make it easier...........However, an alternative thought is to buy the FOBO setup.  These are screw on TPMS units that via your smart phone give you instant info as to the current pressure in your tires.  This can keep you from pulling off saddle bags, and getting down and dirty to access the stem via a tire gauge.

I currently have a set on my '14 SG Special and love 'em.  Battery life is fairly good and changing out a battery is quickly done.  But...............maintaining straight valve stems versus angled valve stems is recommended so as to avoid any possible conflict with the larger stem head and (clearance) from any adjacent parts. ;D

I can attest to the FOBO setup and as I have the angled valve stems on my '15, they work just fine with no fit issues. 

I agree on the angled valve stems....shoulda been on the bike YEARS ago....slicker than snot on a doorknob.... ;D

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 08:44:26 PM »

TPMS and FOBO are good safety items.

Be sure to use metal valve stems with FOBO, rubber have failed with the wt of the FOBO.
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 09:49:06 PM »

Hey Jerry, I will investigate this at my local dealer and report back. Thanks for the tip CAHDBIKER

I don't remember anyone actually saying they used the 2015 stem on a regular rim successfully, but assuming the rim surface is flat enough at the hole for the stem I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

Jerry

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 09:56:18 PM »

One possible issue might be that without the raised part of the rim that's on the 2015 the valve may be very close to the rim and hard to access.  If you look at the Harley valve stem it doesn't rise as much as the aftermarket stems before making the 90° turn.  Of course if that's the case you could turn the stem toward the side instead of running it parallel to the centerline of the rim.  Just something you could look at if they happen to have a stem from a 2015 in stock.

Jerry 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 06:41:03 PM »

Hi Jerry, ordered a stem today from local dealer. P/N 42300046. I will check back when I have it in hand. I thought I was going on a trip and would be mounting my tires soon, but that was cancelled because of work and if I am riding local I still have easily 2500-3000 miles worth of use from my rear and maybe a little more from my front tire.  Thanks CAHDBIKER

One possible issue might be that without the raised part of the rim that's on the 2015 the valve may be very close to the rim and hard to access.  If you look at the Harley valve stem it doesn't rise as much as the aftermarket stems before making the 90° turn.  Of course if that's the case you could turn the stem toward the side instead of running it parallel to the centerline of the rim.  Just something you could look at if they happen to have a stem from a 2015 in stock.

Jerry

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.