Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dipstick has lost its "Stick"  (Read 1969 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Dipstick has lost its "Stick"
« on: June 23, 2017, 01:38:30 AM »

Today while changing the oil in my 2012 convertible, I removed the dipstick from the transmission and saw that the "stick" had broken off, leaving just the "Dip" to act as a plug.  Does anybody know if I can just remove the side panel to the transmission and reach in and pull the stick out of there?  Is there any harm in leaving it in the bottom of the transmission or will it roll around and wedge in a gear eventually, costing $K of repair bills down the road?  I put a magnet on the "Dip" part and determined it is not magnetic.  Likely pot-metal. Please help if you can.  thanks.  Porkypig. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 12:33:30 PM by porkypig »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Dipstick has lost its "Stick"
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 04:54:35 AM »

That's wrong!! I would try to fish for it with a flexible telescopic magnet through the dip hole first. Would not ride with it in there (dangerous) and would cause more problems/damage. You most likely will have to do a strip down. Good luck.

ptnlinda

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 06:41:03 AM »

Well isn't that interesting. Harley had this problem back in the early 90's when I had my Softail Custom. We used to remove the "Stick" so that we didn't have the same problem. Haven't heard of this happening in recent years though.
2015 FLHTKSE
Fuel Moto Jackpot Headers
2" Muffler Cores
Thunder Max ECM
Detachable's Kit
Stainless Fasteners throughout.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 07:17:54 AM »

I hope the magnet works...
Bill

mrdinny

• Junior CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2010FLHXSE
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:18:40 AM »

Will double check but think that part is aluminum or plastic (on my 2010 FLHXSE)

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 09:55:31 AM »

If it is plastic/aluminum you can use mechanical fingers to fish it out.

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 05:50:38 PM »

It's made of aluminum, and depending on how long ago it broke, it's probably aluminum paste.  :nixweiss:
Take the outer cover off, and have a look.
John

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 01:53:51 PM »

Used to be you would buy an extra one and cut the "stick" off it and use that one when you were riding.  Then when you needed to check the level you would use the complete one.   

Like said previously, I have not heard of one braking off in a long time.   

Since the transmission really does not loose fluid I may have to consider cutting these off once again. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 05:26:05 PM »

Used to be you would buy an extra one and cut the "stick" off it and use that one when you were riding.  Then when you needed to check the level you would use the complete one.   

Like said previously, I have not heard of one braking off in a long time.   

Since the transmission really does not loose fluid I may have to consider cutting these off once again.

This is the first one I've heard about breaking off on a Cruise Drive trans, so I'm guessing it was a fluke.  But if it worries you I don't see a big problem just using the "stubby" as a cap.  You could buy a new one just for checking the fluid level, but if you measure the amount you put in during a drain and fill change a dipstick isn't really necessary.  If the trans blows a seal you'll likely know it long before you might think to use a dipstick to check the level.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 06:56:44 PM »

Well, I elected to ride it 600 miles doing things I needed to do, as I had not detected any issues with it for 5000 miles since last oil change, other than the stick was broken off.  So, Friday I rode it to the shop. When I arrived, the wrench said he talked with a seasoned wrench (I've had business with THAT guy before) and was told if it had been in there for a few months/thousand miles, etc. it would be ground up by now or likely just dissolved.  I told him I seriously did NOT believe that as the stick is aluminum and the Syn3 oil would have to be corrosive for that to happen.  I mean, Think about it!  AND the stick is in there all the time anyway!  It would at least dissolve the end off.  Doesn't happen!  Some people want you to believe just anything! Anyway, the young wrench dropped the oil, and then looked inside with a bore scope.  He showed me that there didn't appear to be anything in the bottom of the transmission compartment. Not sure where the stick went but I know I didn't break it off or I would have known, right??  So, I have received a new one from Spokane and I am good, once again. As it turns out......on the bottom of our transmission is probably a 1/2" gap between bottom and the gears.  So, IF the stick was in there from the start, it would likely STILL be there and able to be seen.  IF it was ground up, I'd have heard and felt it, and there'd be some evidence of ground-up junk.  Long story short, I believe somebody between oil changes (can't really say what people do when they have your bike in their possession) removed the dipstick and broke it off OUTside of the transmission, said "Crap!  and just screwed it back in and said NADA to me.  Yet another reason to do as much of our own work as possible!    Pork.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 07:08:23 PM by porkypig »

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 07:12:21 PM »

The tranny gearing "Cassette" is all one piece as shown here.  It must be detached at the Primary side of the engine so it is very time consuming to "Pull the cover" and take a look inside.  I had hoped for that but after talking with the mechanic, I opted to take his word that the piece was NOT in there. The transmission case shown here is NOT a 110 but he assured me that it is "similar" in design for me to understand the concept of how it all is put together. 

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.