Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2017 cvo breakout exhaust x tune  (Read 1631 times)

ins2g8r

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

2017 cvo breakout exhaust x tune
« on: July 04, 2017, 08:13:57 AM »

supposed to pick up my new breakout tomorrow from dealer. when i asked him about what exhausts they have been putting on them he said i cant do anything for 2 years until warranty runs out. all my other bikes i had changed exhaust and had them dyno tune before ever picking them up, what gives? i cant believe its going to be anywhere near loud enough all stock. I want pipes. do i just buy pipes i like and find an auto tuner that can be removed if i need service work?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2017 cvo breakout exhaust x tune
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 08:45:27 AM »

supposed to pick up my new breakout tomorrow from dealer. when i asked him about what exhausts they have been putting on them he said i cant do anything for 2 years until warranty runs out. all my other bikes i had changed exhaust and had them dyno tune before ever picking them up, what gives? i cant believe its going to be anywhere near loud enough all stock. I want pipes. do i just buy pipes i like and find an auto tuner that can be removed if i need service work?

Check out the threads from about six to nine months ago detailing the EPA kicking Harley's butt over their blatant emission system tampering over the years.  Harley signed an agreement that basically says they will no longer sell illegal tuning devices and will no longer look the other way when a modified bike comes in for warranty work.  Some dealers are taking this very seriously, since failure to comply could cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines and possibly their franchise.  Some other dealers will probably continue to do business as usual, at least until a few are caught and made examples for the rest.

All that being said, you as a private individual can still do pretty much what you want, you just have to be willing to accept the risk involved.  If warranty is important to you, you will need to be smart enough to only do legal mods OR mods that can easily be returned to stock before taking the bike in for warranty work.  Mufflers shouldn't be difficult, just keep the stock mufflers with the catalytic converters in them tucked away in the garage or attic in case you need them later.  As for tuning, choose a system that allows you to save the stock calibration and reinstall it before taking the bike in for warranty work.  TTS and PV have that feature for instance.  Needless to say, if you don't do the work yourself you will need to find a place other than your dealership to make the mods for you.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ins2g8r

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

Re: 2017 cvo breakout exhaust x tune
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 06:20:56 PM »

Check out the threads from about six to nine months ago detailing the EPA kicking Harley's butt over their blatant emission system tampering over the years.  Harley signed an agreement that basically says they will no longer sell illegal tuning devices and will no longer look the other way when a modified bike comes in for warranty work.  Some dealers are taking this very seriously, since failure to comply could cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines and possibly their franchise.  Some other dealers will probably continue to do business as usual, at least until a few are caught and made examples for the rest.

All that being said, you as a private individual can still do pretty much what you want, you just have to be willing to accept the risk involved.  If warranty is important to you, you will need to be smart enough to only do legal mods OR mods that can easily be returned to stock before taking the bike in for warranty work.  Mufflers shouldn't be difficult, just keep the stock mufflers with the catalytic converters in them tucked away in the garage or attic in case you need them later.  As for tuning, choose a system that allows you to save the stock calibration and reinstall it before taking the bike in for warranty work.  TTS and PV have that feature for instance.  Needless to say, if you don't do the work yourself you will need to find a place other than your dealership to make the mods for you.

Jerry

thanks grc, i have been reading as much as i can without getting on my wifes nerves for doing so, haven't seen any post like that, but now i see why my dealer is saying that. I can easily do exhaust and tuner my self, i just didn't know what tuner to use, everyone has a different opinion. now i will shop for what i like for pipes, and what others like you said will work for tuning. i am just doing exhaust and then tune for them till warranty runs out. then the sky is the limit, thank you.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.