Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 09 flhtcuse4 using or burning oil  (Read 1313 times)

shovelhead688

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

09 flhtcuse4 using or burning oil
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:13:32 AM »

I have a 09 bagger with the 110 and it seens to be burning oil and also have a low end miss at an idle. The bike has 38k on it. I have the extended warranty on it but my mechaninc say it just may be normal wear I dont think so. I have built a shovel and an evo and never had this kind of trouble also when it hot and when you restart it sometimes it belches through the intake any thoughts
steve

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 09 flhtcuse4 using or burning oil
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:57:23 AM »

There's nothing "normal" about a 38k miles engine using oil and misfiring.  You may have a bike problem.  You definitely have a mechanic problem.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 01:54:08 PM »

Is this bike new to you, or have you owned it since new?  The reason I ask is to determine if you know the full history of the bike.

When you say it's using oil, exactly how much is it using in miles per quart?  Any response you get from the service contract folks will depend on actual usage in miles per quart after doing a controlled test. 

As for the misfire, has any diagnostic work been done?  Have the plugs been checked/changed?  Are the plug wires good?  Are there any vacuum leaks?  Etc.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

shovelhead688

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 02:54:18 PM »

Jerry thank you no i have not owned it since new. I have changed the plug and to me the rear cylinder is the one to lookes to be the problem it has some oil deposits. I would say a quart between oil changes give or take. Im not sure if the mechanic has down a vaccum test or even a compression or even a leakdown test. thank you
steve

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 02:59:09 PM »

Jerry thank you no i have not owned it since new. I have changed the plug and to me the rear cylinder is the one to lookes to be the problem it has some oil deposits. I would say a quart between oil changes give or take. Im not sure if the mechanic has down a vaccum test or even a compression or even a leakdown test. thank you
steve

If "a quart between changes" means you've gotten to a quart low at 5000 miles you're much diligent than I am.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 04:23:24 PM »

One quart in 5000 miles isn't what any manufacturer would call excessive.  However, if that quart is winding up in one combustion chamber, say due to a bad valve guide seal or bad oil control ring, and causing a misfire or other problem, the ESP may still be convinced to fix the problem.  You're going to need more diagnostics from a qualified tech, not one who just blows it off as normal oil consumption.  If you saved the plug that was fouled, show it to the tech.

Hot start kick-back / backfire through the throttle body could have many causes, tune related or mechanical.  Worn compensators on the 110's was one issue, automatic compression releases another, and in some cases the tune could also be a problem.  Once again, it will take some good diagnostic work to sort it out.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

shovelhead688

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 08:25:01 AM »

Sorry been on vaction thaks for you help now my mechanic is gone on vaction will let you know

shovelhead688

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 07:46:09 AM »

Let see where to start my certified harley mechanic could get to bike before i left on my road trip to a ralley so i got it back and changed the oil put a power commander and auto tune on it and rode it to kentucky bike fest about 6hour ride it done ok had a guy put it up on the dyno and dialed it in i was getting 27mph to 30 mph pulling my little camper and the low end miss was nothing more than it going into pararade mode which i didnt no it had. So i will wait and see how the oil comsumption looks like. i just figure I would let everbody know thank you for your help. and be the last time I use this :worthless: mechanic

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 25 queries.