Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Annoying shrill rattle - front of SERK? Help  (Read 2778 times)

lunker

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • CO

• CVO1: 2007 Road King - FLHRSE3 - Gone
    • CVO2: 2013 Road King Anny - FLHRSE4
    • CVO3: 2013 Convertible - FLSTSE3 (Wife's Ride)
Annoying shrill rattle - front of SERK? Help
« on: February 23, 2007, 03:40:08 PM »

I have a very very annoying high-pitched rattle/vibration/whistle coming from the front of my 07 SERK.  I have had it to the dealer, they acknowledge the sound but cannot find what it is.  They have removed the heatshields (noise still there), rocker covers(everything tight), etc. and the sound does not go away.  Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution?  It starts after warm up, seems to be the most noticable around 2500 rpm.  I can lesson the sound by applying pressure (stepping on the heat shield by the floorboard).  The dealer gave up - said that HD will not reimburse them for looking for a problem, only for fixing a problem.  It is bad enough that others have noticed and commented on it while riding. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Annoying shrill rattle - front of SERK? Help
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 04:03:44 PM »

I have a very very annoying high-pitched rattle/vibration/whistle coming from the front of my 07 SERK.  I have had it to the dealer, they acknowledge the sound but cannot find what it is.  They have removed the heatshields (noise still there), rocker covers(everything tight), etc. and the sound does not go away.  Has anyone else had this issue and found a solution?  It starts after warm up, seems to be the most noticable around 2500 rpm.  I can lesson the sound by applying pressure (stepping on the heat shield by the floorboard).  The dealer gave up - said that HD will not reimburse them for looking for a problem, only for fixing a problem.  It is bad enough that others have noticed and commented on it while riding. 

First things first.  Whether Harley will reimburse them or not they are still obligated to service the problem.  They made the profit on the sale.  They're obligated.  It's obviously an issue presented within the warranty period.  Do not let them get away with telling "it's not our job" because it very specifically is.  You let them get away with this nonsense you'll be railroaded every time from now on that any question or issue comes up as they'll assume they've got an easy mark.

Having said that; it sounds as if you believe it's an engine noise.  You also said it presents in the 2500 RPM range.  Does that mean you hear the noise even when the bike is sitting still?  Or do you have to be moving down the road?

If you hear it sitting still in that RPM range then you've isolated it down to moving parts (engine and primary and things attached).  If that's the case then definitely make the dealer look farther.  Otherwise you're begging to be calling for a trailer along way from home sometime.

If it only make the noise while moving down the road, however, look for things like a contact between pipe and floorboard bracket, loose air dam under the tree or, unfortunately, anything else that wind might be flying by.

But for god's sake don't let the dealer get by with telling you "yeah, you've got a problem, I can hear it, it's not my problem."

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 04:59:56 PM »

well ok then.  first of all,  the serk is basically a roadking custom. I traded in an 05 RKcustom for my serk.

I had a loud shrill noise coming from the front of my 05. I cured it.  did you put any extras on the bike.  I had installed the headlight visor. only had it on a few months when I traded it in.  AIR was getting in around the headlight bulb and the visor.  used clear silicone calk to fill the gap,, cured the problem.

I now have that same visor on my serk,  no noise as of yet, and I haven't had to seal it.  go figure :nixweiss:

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

dereck

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHXSE2.ORG

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
    • CVO2: sold FLHRSE3 Black Ice
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 10:01:12 PM »

What gear are you in when it happens?

I hear it, but only when I'm coasting to a stop in first gear and it's from the transmission.  I've read a few articles about it and the dealer had a memo from the MoCo.  Something about the different types of gears used for different gears.  Some people were bringing back their bikes to the dealership thinking they broke something in the transmission.  The MoCo memo explained it was a normal sound for the six speed transmission.  If the salesman hadn't told me about the sound ahead of time I would have thought something was seriously wrong.

Anyway, if this doesn't sound like what's going on with your ride then I'm not sure what it is.

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 12:21:25 AM »

No guarantees, but this sounds to me like it could be metal to metal contact that may be causing that high pitch sound.  If you can reduce the sound by foot movement then keep testing until you've located the source.  I had a similar chirp on my SERK that appeared to me that it was coming from somewhere low and only noticable at idle...wound up being the right rear saddlbag mount was making contact with edge of the strip that runs between the rear fender and saddlebag.  A minor adjustment and the annoyance solved.  Took a few days to find it....lesson learned: sound travels far from where you think it should be found.    ;)   Good luck.

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 12:28:46 AM »

No guarantees, but this sounds to me like it could be metal to metal contact that may be causing that high pitch sound.  If you can reduce the sound by foot movement then keep testing until you've located the source.  I had a similar chirp on my SERK that appeared to me that it was coming from somewhere low and only noticable at idle...wound up being the right rear saddlbag mount was making contact with edge of the strip that runs between the rear fender and saddlebag.  A minor adjustment and the annoyance solved.  Took a few days to find it....lesson learned: sound travels far from where you think it should be found.    ;)   Good luck.

I had a chirp/buzz on my '03 RK. It was the windshield detachable spring clip vibrating at various specific RPMs. It drove me nuts til I noticed where it was coming from. Like EZ said, keep testing til you locate it. If you can create the noise, you should be able to find it. Throwing out ideas, hope it helps. Good luck. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 09:59:37 AM »

Do what is called a "neutral run up".  Bike is sitting still in neutral on the jiffy stand. 
Gradually accellerate the motor up to the 2500 rpm range.  Is there noise there?  THis is to eliminate that the sound is coming from wind or from something like rotors/bearings in the wheels. 

If it's there, try to pinpoint from what spot it's coming from.  Front/rear of bike? 

The stamped oil cooler cover is known to rub on several areas.  Frame is very close.  Voltage reg is very close...it could have been tweeked a bit and is now rubbing on simething.  those heat shields are known to do it too but sounds like the dealer has already checked that. 

I agree EZRIDN...I've had little squeaks that I thought were in front of the bike end up being somewhere else. 

Cheers, sooiee
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

lunker

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • CO

• CVO1: 2007 Road King - FLHRSE3 - Gone
    • CVO2: 2013 Road King Anny - FLHRSE4
    • CVO3: 2013 Convertible - FLSTSE3 (Wife's Ride)
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 11:16:52 AM »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  The "chirp" (good description) occurs after the bike is warmed up, and in any gear as well as when I am stopped and in neutral. This eliminates the wind or wheel/brake possibilities. I can minimize the chirp by applying pressure on the right side exhaust heat shield which reduces vibration of the engine.   It is very high pitched - like metal on metal and even though it sounds like it is coming from the front half of the bike, I agree that the sound can travel so will start looking elsewhere.  I will let you know when I figure it out.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 12:07:39 PM »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  The "chirp" (good description) occurs after the bike is warmed up, and in any gear as well as when I am stopped and in neutral. This eliminates the wind or wheel/brake possibilities. I can minimize the chirp by applying pressure on the right side exhaust heat shield which reduces vibration of the engine.   It is very high pitched - like metal on metal and even though it sounds like it is coming from the front half of the bike, I agree that the sound can travel so will start looking elsewhere.  I will let you know when I figure it out.

My 2007SERK had this hours after picking it up.  The headlight bucket (under the trim ring) had three screws missing and the others loose, like it was lunch time in York and they forget to finish. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Travelinshoes

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 11:50:51 PM »

dthies, I know you say that the noise is coming from the front of the bike, BUT, I had a similar noise that I couldn't find for some time.  What has me thinking you may have the same problem I did is when you said that when you put pressure on the heat shield, it lessons the sound.  I found that the noise was coming from the rear exhaust mounts.  It was coming from the rubber-to-metal vibration back there.  I shot some WD40 on both mounts, wiped up the excess and fired her up and the sound was gone!  I'm thinking it was from washing the bike and subsequent drying of the rubber.  This may not be what's causing your problem, but I figured I should let you know what I found.  Good luck with your quest.

T

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 03:45:06 AM »

I usually get a shrill noise as I leave the house on my bike !

But it normally comes from the kitchen !!  :o

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 10:07:34 AM »

I usually get a shrill noise as I leave the house on my bike !

But it normally comes from the kitchen !!  :o

Nige

:ROFLOL:

I was thinking the same thing.  I used to have an annoying noise on the back of my bike, but I cured it by getting her, her own bike.

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 11:58:28 AM »

Oh, OH!!  there could be a couple of things. 
1.  heat up the system and then tighten up the heat shields. 
2.  the heat shields are notorious for breaking the welds on the underside.  So...take OFF the heat shields.  Then fire the bike.  if the sound goes away...you know it's a heat shield.  The brackets that the radiator hose clamp looking bracket goes through are just spot welded on to the back side of the heat shields. They have always been known to break those spot welds and then they squeak and make noise.  No matter how much you tighten the clamps...it's gonna squeak.  I'll betcha that's what it is. 

Let us know.  J
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 21 queries.