Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Class pictures  (Read 1123 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Class pictures
« on: April 23, 2007, 01:25:14 PM »

Hey folks,

For those of you were are interested, I just wanted to let you know how the Ride Like a Pro West Coast classes are going.

Instead of going on about the exercises and how things went, I thought I’d let the pictures speak for themselves. Pay particular attention to the eyes and head turns, and how much the riders are leaning the bikes. Remember, this is only after a few hours into the class. With more practice they will be turning tighter and leaning over further.

I apologize if some of the pictures are fuzzy. My “assistants” did their best with the camera. Then my wife came and took them to Water Polo practice.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
Re: Class pictures
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 07:03:18 PM »

I am guessing a few of these students were anticipating dropping their bikes with all of the padding on the crash bars and the duct tape on the Road Glide fairing and the missing bags?

Nice shots by the way.

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 07:45:51 PM »

Your assistants did great. Sounds like they're excellent helpers. Look where you wanta go and go where your lookin. Saw the DVD and was most impressed. Finally warm enough here to go out and practice.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 08:36:25 PM »

I am guessing a few of these students were anticipating dropping their bikes with all of the padding on the crash bars and the duct tape on the Road Glide fairing and the missing bags?

Nice shots by the way.

Mark

Yes,

I told the riders to remove, or cover up anything they wanted to protect.  The exercises are so challenging that sometimes bikes do get dropped. As a matter of fact, the first thing I teach the riders, is how to step off a falling bike, and how to pick it up. They all did very well.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Tros

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 09:43:58 PM »

Yes,

I told the riders to remove, or cover up anything they wanted to protect.  The exercises are so challenging that sometimes bikes do get dropped. As a matter of fact, the first thing I teach the riders, is how to step off a falling bike, and how to pick it up. They all did very well.

Mark

Very good idea.

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 10:40:24 PM »

Yes,

Mark

Ironhorse,

I like the idea of taking off or padding anything they don't want to hurt. I am an MSF rider coach and I have never taught students how to step off of a falling bike,but I have laid range bikes down and showed them the (proper) technique of lifting a downed motorcycle. I have had students ask if they had to "drop" their motorcycle in my class and I say I hope not!

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 12:39:37 AM »

Ironhorse,

I like the idea of taking off or padding anything they don't want to hurt. I am an MSF rider coach and I have never taught students how to step off of a falling bike,but I have laid range bikes down and showed them the (proper) technique of lifting a downed motorcycle. I have had students ask if they had to "drop" their motorcycle in my class and I say I hope not!

Mark

Mark,

I am also an MSF/California Motorcycle Safety Program Rider Coach. However I was Police Motor School long before that, so my foundation is all Enforcement Riding. Ride Like a Pro is totally different from anything the MSF teaches. I teach Ride Like a Pro the way I was taught at police motor school. One of the first things I was taught was how to step off a falling bike, and how to pick it up. So, I always start each class by stepping off my Ultra, and letting it fall on a padded industrial mat. Then I show them how a 48 year old, 5'7", 153lb, scrawny Chinese Hawaiian Filipino guy can single handedly pick up an Ultra. Invaluable tools.

Back when I took the MSF BRC and was "shadowing" the classes, I asked the young MSF rider coach who was instructing us, why they didn't teach us how to safely step off a falling bike, and how to pick up a downed bike. His response was, "if you do everything we teach you, you will never drop a bike and have to pick it up". When I was taking the Rider Coach Prep Course, I asked the instructor why don't they teach folks how to pick up downed bikes. He said, "It's never been an issue, and someone will always help you to pick it up". I don't know what to think of those responses. I do know that when I teach the BRC, some students do drop bikes. And, unfortunately since we cannot teach them how to step off a falling bike, some students get pinned under them. Whenever there is a downed bike during an MSF class, I always demostrate both the LAPD and the CHP method of picking up the bike.

For what it does, teaching folks who have never swung a leg over a motorcycle how to ride, the MSF does a good job. However, the MSF only scratches the surface of motorcycling, especially slow riding under control. When I was shadowing and teaching an ERC, I rode the U-Turn box demo on my Ultra. I made the turns in half the size of the box. Later I had several other Rider Coaches come up and ask me how I did that, and could I teach them how to do it. I also had one rider coach chew me out and tell me to never do that again, because "it may give the students the idea that they can do it too". I told him that they can, and that all they need is the proper instruction and practice. He didn't like my answer and walked away.

One thing I always tell my BRC students when they "graduate", is that when they leave, all they are really certified for is to ride a motorcycle in an empty parking lot, around little cones, with no cars, no traffic, and no pedestrians. It really sobers them up.

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 05:41:47 AM »

I would suggest anyone who is thinking of adding a passanger to there ride take this course with the person they plan on riding with. It gives a good feel of just how the bike responds with the added weight, Also the Co-rider can also learn what is expected of them as you both run thru the course.

This is the best place to drop your bike (less embarrassed) than in the middle of a four lane after a failed attempt at a "U" turn  ;D

It will also show a seasoned rider what bad habits that they have developed.

:soapbox:

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.