Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roadrunner GPX maps  (Read 1180 times)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
Roadrunner GPX maps
« on: April 05, 2019, 01:30:29 PM »

Does anyone know how to install gpx files from the roadrunner web site on to my Garmin 660. Thanks Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Roadrunner GPX maps
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 04:09:42 PM »

Open the .gpx file in either Garmin’s BaseCamp or MapSource, connect your 660 to the computer the select ‘send to device.’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:42:50 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 09:30:57 PM »

Thanks but I can't figure out how to open the file in base camp. I have tried to drag it over but n luck. Thanks Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 10:54:13 PM »

If the file has a .gpx extension double click and it’ll open in basecamp
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 08:35:53 AM »

If the file has a .gpx extension double click and it’ll open in basecamp
That will work if BaseCamp is the designated program to open .gpx files. Otherwise the command in BaseCamp is ‘import’ rather than ‘file and then open’ as other programs are.

IBA member # 45520

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 09:59:04 AM »

I guess I am a slow learner. I have the gpx icon map on my desktop. I then open up Basecamp. The only import that I have is from a device and that does not work. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Thanks for any help.  Billy

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 10:09:47 AM »

I guess I am a slow learner. I have the gpx icon map on my desktop. I then open up Basecamp. The only import that I have is from a device and that does not work. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Thanks for any help.  Billy
In BaseCamp from the top left of the menu bar select 'File.'  A drop down menu will appear.  Select 'Import into 'My Collection.'  A pop up window will appear showing your computer - desktop, hard drive, etc. - and from there you can select the .gpx file to import.  See the attached 'screen shot' from my computer.  You can see that I've imported a RoadRunner .gpx file.

This of course assumes you are using a Windows computer.  You didn't say.  If you are using a Mac I don't know if everything I stated will still be correct.

Good luck.

IBA member # 45520

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 10:27:16 AM »

Or right click the icon on your desktop, choose ‘open with’ and select basecamp.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 05:14:40 PM »

Billy, I just realized that you are trying to send the route to your Garmin 660.  Unfortunately the 660 is NOT compatible with BaseCamp.  Here is an excerpt from Garmin's own website:

The following devices are NOT compatible with routing in BaseCamp:
zumo 400 series
zumo 500 and 550
zumo 660 and 665
These devices may appear to take a route without issue however, when navigating the route, an error
message may appear. An alternate program to use is Mapsource. First download the map to your computer,
then use MapSource to create and transfer routes to your zumo.

You can download MapSource here:  https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

I had a 660 several years ago and decided to learn to use BaseCamp since Garmin no longer supports MapSource.  This was before I learned of the incompatibility.  As the warning states the 660 took the route fine and I started out leading a group of five on a multi-day road trip.  After a few miles I got a strange error message - something to the effect of 'there are no roads near your destination' and then the route stopped running.  I was able to restart it and it appeared OK for a while but then the same message.  After a very frustrating experience I called Garmin when I returned home and learned about the incompatibility.

No problem though.  You can open the .gpx file from within MapSource or as Bungy said double click on it and tell the computer operating system to open .gpx files with MapSource and it should open right up.

Hope you get this working for you.  Let us know.

IBA member # 45520

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 08:00:21 PM »

Thanks I just loaded all of the windy 9 on the 660. I used Basecamp. Looks like I will have to start over. Thanks for the warring I t would have ruined the trip  Billy

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 10:15:06 PM »

Thanks I just loaded all of the windy 9 on the 660. I used Basecamp. Looks like I will have to start over. Thanks for the warring I t would have ruined the trip  Billy
You've figured out the hard part now.  Just download MapSource and open the file into it and you'll be good to go.  BTW I like MapSource way better than BaseCamp - probably because I learned routing using Microsoft Streets & Trips and then MapSource after I got my first Garmin.  The two programs are very similar.  Don't like the database design of BaseCamp.  I much prefer the hierarchical structure of MapSource.  Even though it is not supported by Garmin any longer it still works just fine for me and all my friends who use it.

IBA member # 45520

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 07:54:32 AM »

I have the garmin 660, and the Harley branded 660.  while garmin says that it is not compatible with basecamp, I have never had any issue using either of mine with basecamp.

basecamp has a very steep learning curve.  I found a youtube video that shows how you can create a route in google maps and import that to your zumo very easily.

I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 08:14:38 AM »

I know some folks have used the 660 with BaseCamp and not had a problem. My 660 was a Harley Road Tech version that came on my 2012 CVO and it definitely had problem when I used BaseCamp to load routes. Perhaps something changed in the firmware or operating system inside the devices over time. Don’t know. Just reporting my confirmed experience.

IBA member # 45520

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.