Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Backrest Question  (Read 1554 times)

Elvis

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rent This Space  
Backrest Question
« on: February 01, 2005, 10:37:22 AM »

Stock backrest sucks.  Not sure yet about the seat....sure is pretty but haven't tried it long distance.  Backrest tho is a definite POS.  Anybody tried using a Mustang backrest with the stock seat?  They say it will bolt right on underneath.  

Also, anybody tried the HD gas spring adjustable backrest?  Pricey but my back says do something fast.

thanks,

elvis

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Backrest Question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 10:46:50 AM »

Elvis I haven't tried the Mustang backrest but I do have the HD adjustable backrest.  It has a little CO2 cartridge in there so it stays wherever you put it.  On the long hauls it works wonders (I've had back surgery......two discs removed).  It's the back rest that goes with the pillow soft seat, but I use it with my stock seat when I'm riding by myself.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Elvis

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rent This Space  
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 11:43:39 AM »

Thanks, JCZ.
I may try that as well.  Have you tried that combo for any long distance touring and can you compare it to other touring seats you've tried?

thanks,

elvis

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 02:46:26 PM »

Thanks, JCZ.
I may try that as well.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Dirt Bagger

• Junior CVO Member
  • Keep The Shiny Side Up!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 11:54:17 PM »

Elvis,

Is your backrest too much straight up and down?  I rode for week before I s--t canned the backrest.  Then rode to Sturgis and wished I had it.  When I got back I took the seat off to see if any adjustments for backrest position.   I was able to lean it back and raise it up.  Now I love it!

Dirt Bagger

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 01:04:01 AM »

The position mine was in from the factory was very uncomfortable as well. You can adjust it up and down and also forward and back. The brackets under the seat have added holes for different front/back positions. After playing around with mine I found a position that works very well.

mfgreen

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 01:31:38 AM »

Same problem on the 03 SERK from the factory.  The adjusting of it with the seat off is the key , I believe.

Elvis

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rent This Space  
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 06:07:15 AM »

Elvis,

Is your backrest too much straight up and down?

mfgreen

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 08:02:38 AM »

Have read all the archived threads here on seats, I see it is not an unusual problem.  In the end, seats are hard   [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif].   Appreciate the info.  

thanks,

elvis

The seats are desined for the style, when you want your butt to look fast - go for the comfort.

Bad Daddy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 05:12:34 PM »

I have the adjustable backrest on my 03 Ultra and I love it.  Rode to the 100th and was pretty comfortable.  Got my 05 SEEK and after 100 miles I took the seat off and adjusted the brackets to tilt the seat back.  Stock position was way too upright. I like to ride in a bit of a slouch.  Seems more comfortable, but I haven't put enough miles on it before all this white stuff came down.  

My toys:
'95 FLSTN
'97 FLSTS
'03 FLHTCUI w/BigBore, V&H, Thunderstars
'05 FLHTCSE2 Two Tone Cherry
'06 FXDI35
'03 M5

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 25 queries.