Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: CVO Painted parts  (Read 9031 times)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
Re:
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 09:35:07 AM »

Joe at xtreme is awesome

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Joe did a fantastic job with the after-market fairing for my bike. The paint job/customer service is top notch.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: CVO Painted parts
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 10:56:16 AM »

The OP indicates only wanting an official CVO replacement.  If that's the case, I think your only choice is going to be buying the part through the Harley dealer network.  If you just want your existing part refinished, then one of the shops like Xtreme or Gunslingers can handle that.  If you want an existing part refinished, then you have to look at turnaround time since your bike will be without the part for however long it will take.  Buying a replacement part eliminates that problem, but at a definite extra cost of course.

In the past Harley would not allow it's vendors to sell painted parts directly to consumers.  If anyone has real info, as opposed to the never ending "he said, she said" rumors, that indicates this policy has changed, I'd love to see it.  It defies logic, but there again Harley has been known to do some very strange things.  Letting the lucrative replacement part market for CVO painted parts get away from them is not something that computes when you consider all the other gouging they do to make every nickel they can off the customers.

Jerry

For sure.  I would be very surprised if they would allow a vendor to repair / refinish a part much less sell a new part direct to the consumer.  Moco is about making $$$$ and selling high priced CVO painted makes would make the most bucks for them.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 05:39:35 PM »

The OP indicates only wanting an official CVO replacement.  If that's the case, I think your only choice is going to be buying the part through the Harley dealer network.  If you just want your existing part refinished, then one of the shops like Xtreme or Gunslingers can handle that.  If you want an existing part refinished, then you have to look at turnaround time since your bike will be without the part for however long it will take.  Buying a replacement part eliminates that problem, but at a definite extra cost of course.

In the past Harley would not allow it's vendors to sell painted parts directly to consumers.  If anyone has real info, as opposed to the never ending "he said, she said" rumors, that indicates this policy has changed, I'd love to see it.  It defies logic, but there again Harley has been known to do some very strange things.  Letting the lucrative replacement part market for CVO painted parts get away from them is not something that computes when you consider all the other gouging they do to make every nickel they can off the customers.

Jerry

Last year I have had direct experience with paint work through the Dealer (Chopped Tour Pak) and Gunslinger (Vented Lowers) for the '09 SERG.

Gunslinger paints the parts for the MoCo. In '11 or '12 Harley expanded the GS contracts, and GS had to expand their (move into bigger) facilities.

This is directly from gunslinger; "Our contracts with Harley prohibit us from painting any parts that you can get through the Dealer Network or from the Harley P&A catalogue". "Gunslinger cannot supply any paint or paint codes" "If the part is not available from Harley, we can paint it for you."
When I asked GS to paint a wrap fender for a Skunk ~ No was all she said...

Hence, I had to source the '09 CVO Yellow Pearl Chopped Tour Pak from my Dealer (since it is available through the P&A catalogue) btw, the GS logo was on the box.
HD offers the non-vented lowers painted in the '09 CVO Charcoal Slate, I wanted vented lowers, so I could deal with Gunslinger direct as HD doesn't offer vented lowers in that color. (that is my direct experience, no h-s, s-s bs ~ yours may vary...)

BTW, the '09 CVO Yellow Pearl and the '09 CVO Charcoal Slate are proprietary to that bike (so far). HD has colors with the same names, but they are not the same colors.

'Can understand why the MoCo guards the CVO paints like FT. Knox, the MoCo has spent tons of $$$$ developing these colors and designing the paint schemes, they (and I) don't want CVO clones.

So far, Xtreme is the only (aftermarket) painter that I am aware of that can match the CVO paint schemes with a degree of consistency.

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 05:46:38 PM »

I would be interested in seeing your tour pack when it is done.  Especially since is in awesome yellow.

:oops: :nixweiss:

'Going to have the '14 KTP done with the same graphics as the saddle bags, no hurry though, right now I'm just trying to get the '09 back on the road...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 01:39:16 PM »

Just order through your dealer. No slower and guaranteed paint match.

cyco1450

• Elite CVO Member
  • Cheaper to keep her...
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO RG Black Earth/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO SG - sold
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 10:05:31 PM »

Just order through your dealer. No slower and guaranteed paint match.

respectfully I disagree.  parts of brand new bikes don't even match. it's because the parts are painted in different factories.  I took the York factory tour and they explained that different parts are painted in Kansas city, York, etc.  I had parts painted on my CVO and not only was the shop able to match the Moco proprietary CVO color, they actually laid down the paint better than HD did.

I've seen Xtreme Dimensions work in person.  no way can Moco do better.  Just my 2 cents.
2018 CVO RG Black Earth
2007 CVO Springer Amarillo Gold 1 of 398
2003 100th Ann FLSTCI
2001 CVO Switchblade
1999 Dyna WG Zippers 107
1997 Heritage Springer Ol’ Boy
1997 Fat Boy Street Stalker 1 of 1
1993 Heritage Softail Cow Glide #1109
1990 Fat Boy Grey Ghost 1st year
1977 FLH Restomod
1977 XLCR
1971 FX Night Train!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 10:53:44 PM »

respectfully I disagree.  parts of brand new bikes don't even match. it's because the parts are painted in different factories.  I took the York factory tour and they explained that different parts are painted in Kansas city, York, etc.  I had parts painted on my CVO and not only was the shop able to match the Moco proprietary CVO color, they actually laid down the paint better than HD did.

I've seen Xtreme Dimensions work in person.  no way can Moco do better.  Just my 2 cents.

'Not taking anything away from Xtreme Dimensions, the pictures of his Craftsmanship are as good, if not better than any, I've ever seen. I've been recommending him to my CVO buddies for stuff that Gunslingers or the Dealer won't do. I'm sure that I will send him a '14 KTP (for the '09) one of these days.
It's great to have an aftermarket resource like XD!

'Had some tins replaced by my Dealer on the '05 SEEG (hit & run $8k damage on the bike, not a scratch on me. Thank You Lord!) when the bike was about 4 years old and all the paint matched perfectly.

The chopped tourpak (from the Dealer) for the '09 SERG had a crack in the paint (on the lid) that I probably wouldn't have noticed for a while, my Dealer showed it to me when I picked the bike up, and told me to ride it until the replacement came in. I didn't have to go through the back & forth, and be without the usage until it was fixed. The paint was and is perfectly matched... 'Didn't have to send any side covers in...

The MoCo and the Aftermarket both have their +s & -s to me. JMHO

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 02:43:19 PM »

Gunslingers painted my new Klockwerks front fender for my 2010 FLHXSE and did a fantastic job.  That was last year, and they were still doing the paint work for MOCO then.
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 25 queries.