Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has anyone played with the Timing on a TMAT yet???  (Read 1809 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Has anyone played with the Timing on a TMAT yet???
« on: May 09, 2007, 08:47:46 AM »

Was curious if anyone has played with the timing on a TAMT yet>>> Thinking about adding 4 degrees from 0% to  about 40% TPS.  Suggesstions and Feedback Appreciated...Thanks Greg   
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Has anyone played with the Timing on a TMAT yet???
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 11:06:49 AM »

Was curious if anyone has played with the timing on a TAMT yet>>> Thinking about adding 4 degrees from 0% to  about 40% TPS.  Suggesstions and Feedback Appreciated...Thanks Greg   

Be careful.  Advancing timing adds heat and could cause detonation if advanced to far (burned pistons, lots of smoke and oil out your exhaust).  Why are you considering this change?  Is there something specific you are trying to overcome or achieve?

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 03:32:09 PM »

Be careful.  Advancing timing adds heat and could cause detonation if advanced to far (burned pistons, lots of smoke and oil out your exhaust).  Why are you considering this change?  Is there something specific you are trying to overcome or achieve?

Scott

Just wanted to tweak it  >>>

Rhino

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 03:39:37 PM »

The best way to make changtes to an existing map is to put it on a dyno.  Other than that, I would, and have, retarded some timing points only by 1 point...at a time..and rode it. 

I am curious how you decided to change the timing in that range, and by the points you noted.  Did this come to you in a dream, or did someone give you some solid info?  Thanks

Rhino(timesup)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 03:43:33 PM »

The best way to make changtes to an existing map is to put it on a dyno.  Other than that, I would, and have, retarded some timing points only by 1 point...at a time..and rode it. 

I am curious how you decided to change the timing in that range, and by the points you noted.  Did this come to you in a dream, or did someone give you some solid info?  Thanks

Rhino(timesup)

Figured I'd put in a lillte in the bottom end and cruise and retard it a little at the top.. Just a W>A>G Wild Ass Guess>>Greg

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 06:15:28 PM »

Figured I'd put in a lillte in the bottom end and cruise and retard it a little at the top.. Just a W>A>G Wild Ass Guess>>Greg

I gotta tell ya - that is kind of back asswards.  There is a reason that ignition systems have devices that advance your timing as your RPM increases.  In the old days it was with weights in the distributor or vacuum advance, nowadays it is with computer chips or computer programming.  The reason is as the motor spins faster, the timing has to "advance more" to keep up with the action.  It would be kinda contrary to retard the ignition at top end.

Messing with the timing without understanding what you're doin is one of those things - like running lean - that can cause lots of problems real quick.  I'd pick another area to experiment with.

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 06:47:02 PM »

I gotta tell ya - that is kind of back asswards.  There is a reason that ignition systems have devices that advance your timing as your RPM increases.  In the old days it was with weights in the distributor or vacuum advance, nowadays it is with computer chips or computer programming.  The reason is as the motor spins faster, the timing has to "advance more" to keep up with the action.  It would be kinda contrary to retard the ignition at top end.

Messing with the timing without understanding what you're doin is one of those things - like running lean - that can cause lots of problems real quick.  I'd pick another area to experiment with.

Scott

You are right on Scott>>> Guess I was thinking about my old drag race days when we ran 12-1-comp and we able to kill one set of points  going into 4th gear and retard the timing on high end.. Big difference between that and what we are doing>>>I may just  be conservative add one or two degrees and as long as it dosen't ping or anything else..Greg   

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.