Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New SERK Service Expectations  (Read 1544 times)

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
New SERK Service Expectations
« on: April 29, 2007, 11:42:38 AM »

Hope you guys don't get tired of my many newbie posts, but the more I read on this forum the more questions arise.
For instance, now that I've read most threads dealing with the stock overly lean factory condition these 110"ers seem to come in, I'm waiting for my rear cylinder to burn up and freeze like Dinosaur's did.
I've also been wondering just what I can expect my dealer to do -- or not do -- during the recommended sceduled service that might hopefully prevent this.
Will my say 1000 mile service include dyno time and addressing of overly lean conditions? Seems like the logical thing to do would be to richen things up a bit thereby preventing a motor failure rather than deal with the consequences of continued overly lean status, OR would the dealer's prioity be 'obligation' to the continued meeting of emission's standards rather than motor life?
Does there seem to be a large variation among dealerships wrt this issue? i.e. are some being proactive with this issue? Are they 'allowed' to be proactive by the MoCo?

Is there anyway to know if all my oil galleries are there and properly sized/functioning besides waiting for major engine failure?
Is it just a matter of using a fairly accurate IR thermometer and doing cylinder head temp checks?
Watch for color changes indicative of grossly lean conditions?

Anyone mount an oil temp gauge (other than the LCD dipstick style) on a SERK?

leoniru

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: New SERK Service Expectations
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 05:40:13 PM »

I use an IR temp reader ( used in r/c top fuel toy cars).. we have been yakin on the SECU side bout this...The metal temp on the cylinder head on mine, measured at he aft cylinde, left side nea the spark plug 2up with a faing on at 80-85 Degrees F,  ( 07 serk, RH2-1 withs sert and hi flo ac) has been runnin 290-(380 todays high)...In other words,
I dunno.  Good luck, shiney side up!

Miker

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 08:24:41 PM »

Make sure if you are running stock ecm, your map has the latest update from the dealer.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 08:37:19 PM »

Kojak2;
Is there any way for me to verify what map is in my stock ECM ---- without any special service tools --- or am I at the dealer's mercy?

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 08:52:22 PM »

Kojak2;
Is there any way for me to verify what map is in my stock ECM ---- without any special service tools --- or am I at the dealer's mercy?

If it was built before November its probably the old one.  After that they were built with the "recall" flash.  If you were affected, HD would send a letter or two.  Go to the HD website under maintenance and insert your VIN and that will alert you if you need a recall flash.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 04:49:14 AM »

'gul07;

Thanks for the verbal schematic.

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 06:53:27 AM »

The only way most dealers will adress the lean condition is with the race tuner or power commander at additional cost.  Also dyno time will be needed.  The Zippers Thunder Max might be the best way to go, that way you can do it yourself without the dealer or dyno time.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 08:38:34 AM »

Does anyone know if completely disconnecting/removing the stock Delphi ECM from my '07 SERK will 'wipe' the existing map from it?
For instance, IF I would install some aftermarket ECM and then for some reason need to reinstall my stock one, will it be all ready to go as far as the programming?
Would there be an electronic 'trail' or code generated by removal/reinstallation?

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 09:25:26 AM »

Does anyone know if completely disconnecting/removing the stock Delphi ECM from my '07 SERK will 'wipe' the existing map from it?
For instance, IF I would install some aftermarket ECM and then for some reason need to reinstall my stock one, will it be all ready to go as far as the programming?
Would there be an electronic 'trail' or code generated by removal/reinstallation?

Few informations in this thread : http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=13389.0
 :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 08:54:55 PM »

Bisounours;

Thanks for the reference. It helped.

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 12:19:31 AM »

Had mine checked( flash rev) a few days ago just for info and it comes up as a version C flash , which apparently is the latest from the factory.

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 25 queries.