Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Updated Rineharts?  (Read 1530 times)

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
Updated Rineharts?
« on: May 28, 2007, 12:01:56 AM »

I'll apologize in advance if I'm beating a dead horse wrt this issue, but I've visited the old threads (could have missed something) dealing with the fitment issues of the Rinehart TDs and can't see anything as to whether or not Rinehart/BUB has done anything yet to address the interference with the front O2 sensor and starter or the front pipe's heatshield and rear brake lever on the SERK.
I kind of got the impression (after reading all the threads) that an update might be in the works.
I'm chompin' at the bit to get a set, but I'll hold off if there might be something happening in the not-too-distant-future rather than heat/bang/bend and replace my rear brake lever.

I've also been told within the last month by two different vendors (advertising on Ebay) that they will NOT fit my bike. I don't know if they're saying this so they won't have to deal with any possible complaints from me in the event I do have interference issues or what.

Can anyone update me on this?

leoniru

Raskul

Re: Updated Rineharts?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 12:33:00 AM »

I had the same concerns when I was looking into aftermarket pipes.  I read some threads where the pipes fit and some threads where they don't.  I took a chance, and they fit just fine.  The clearance with the brake lever is very close, but it does clear.  No problem with the O2 sensors either.

I paired the pipe up with the SERT and have been very pleased with the performance and sound.

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 08:36:02 AM »

Raskul;
Does your front pipe's O2 sensor bung come off the pipe at an angle(like the stock pipe's so the O2 sensor appears more or less parallel to the ground) or perpendicular(about 90 degrees so the O2 sensor angles down toward the starter)?

Also, as you're using the SERT, you're probably using the stock O2 sensors and not the longer Bosch. So you wouldn't have any interference there with the starter.

If the front pipe's heat shield would be such that I had to notch it or bend it a bit, well, I could handle/live with that. I'm just not willing to start wacking away on the bung area with a 3 lb. hammer. With the black clouds that follow me around, I'm sure the pipe would just bust open like a frozen water pipe.

Raskul

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 02:23:36 PM »

Raskul;
Does your front pipe's O2 sensor bung come off the pipe at an angle(like the stock pipe's so the O2 sensor appears more or less parallel to the ground) or perpendicular(about 90 degrees so the O2 sensor angles down toward the starter)?

My front O2 sensor comes off the pipe at a perpendicular angle.  I would definitely have the problem with a longer sensor hitting my oil cooler adapter.

Also, as you're using the SERT, you're probably using the stock O2 sensors and not the longer Bosch. So you wouldn't have any interference there with the starter.

Yes, I am using the stock O2 sensors.  If I chose to go with the longer Bosch sensors, the starter would not be a problem.  My problem would be up front with the oil cooler adapter.  I have heard of guys having success with machining enough clearance.

If the front pipe's heat shield would be such that I had to notch it or bend it a bit, well, I could handle/live with that. I'm just not willing to start wacking away on the bung area with a 3 lb. hammer. With the black clouds that follow me around, I'm sure the pipe would just bust open like a frozen water pipe.

As far as the brake lever clearance goes, if you didn't want to do any notching or bending, the KuryAkyn 1027 pedal matches the stock pedal very closely and clears the pipes without problem.  That is the route I was going to take if my lever didn't clear.

If you haven't seen it already, there is a lengthy thread on just this topic.  It is titled New Rinehart Tru Dual system intall problem, and it is in the Intake/Exhaust/ECM section.  I will attempt to insert the link below.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=9947.msg154592#msg154592

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 09:50:21 PM »

Raskul;
Thanx for the link but I've read the whole thing previously. Nothing new wrt Bub makin' the needed changes hinted at a few months ago.
Oh well, maybe Vance & Hines TDs are in my furure.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 09:58:05 PM »

Raskul;
Thanx for the link but I've read the whole thing previously. Nothing new wrt Bub makin' the needed changes hinted at a few months ago.
Oh well, maybe Vance & Hines TDs are in my furure.
It's going to be hit and miss with them also in regards to rear brake pedal. Talked to a guy on Saturday that had just installed V&H True Duals on CUSE2 and had problems w/brake pedal hitting pipe.

There hasn't been any determing factor that could be found to know why they work on some bikes w/o problems and other have problems. :confused5:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 10:03:26 PM »

'dood;

Probably those motorcycle gods funin' around with us. Of late they seem fairly focused on my a$$, so I believe I'll wait awhile 'till they tire of toyin' with me.

Raskul

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 09:51:25 PM »

As they say... it's only money.   :pepper:

Good luck Leoniru!

DoCPooF

• 2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

• CVO1: 2007 Screamin Eagle Road King
    • CVO2: 2011 Screamin Eagle Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 07:16:10 PM »

No problems with the install.  They come with a spacer for the right sided floor board.

They sound awsome on the 110.

2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing
2006 Street Glide
2011 Screamin Eagle Street Glide

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 03:20:27 PM »

I JUST received a call from Jim Repo at BUB. He called me as a courtesy since I had been pushing them for a redesign of the front pipe of their True Duals because of the O2 sensor fitment issue. He told me the paperwork just came across his desk that a change in the front pipe is being made.

No firm ETA is available yet, but he thinks we're looking at something like two to three months. The next thing I will hear is when an availability date is released, and I expect this to happen near the end of the summer.

As it still stands now, if you have a problem installing them, call BUB to place a warranty claim and then do what you need to do to the pipes to make them fit. When the new pipe is available, you will be able to swap out the original.

I would strongly suggest you confirm the above with BUB before doing anything to the pipe. Saying "Chief told me I should do it." won't hold much water with them.

I do not know if the change is addressing brake lever clearance problems as I was told it was to address the O2 sensor problem. I hope both issues are being addressed.

I will post more if I hear anything else.  :2vrolijk_21:

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 07:29:28 AM »

Way to go Chief!
Thanx for posting this little update tidbit re the Rinehart TDs. I was a hopin' somebody, sometime, would get some new info on this matter.
This cinches it for me ---- I will wait for the revised pipe(s).
Let's just hope it happens.

leoniru

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.